Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat the Kraken

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Newhook was playing his best hockey before he got hurt. Good to see him bouncing back. I thought he was gone for the year.

Yes, he was really good before his injury. I find he's gotten better week to week since the beginning of the season. At least, in terms of what he does with and without the puck. The speed and intensity always takes time to get back after an injury, but it's the little plays that I've been most impressed with. Really looking forward to what he does next year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, he was really good before his injury. I find he's gotten better week to week since the beginning of the season. At least, in terms of what he does with and without the puck. The speed and intensity always takes time to get back after an injury, but it's the little plays that I've been most impressed with. Really looking forward to what he does next year.
I was particularly worried because his game is all about speed. Seeing him mess up his leg had me a little scared but he seems fine.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
How is Suzuki a late bloomer? Holy crap man make some sense.
Typically "stars" of this quality level have shown this much sooner in their career including juniors.. Suzuki always had that steady eddy pace to him, but i never saw this extra gear. Being a top 10c "requires" it, and if this is the real Suzuki for good, id say he's our Tavares.

But on a $5m less contract, and 5 years younger for another 5 years

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Typically "stars" of this quality level have shown this much sooner in their career including juniors.. Suzuki always had that steady eddy pace to him, but i never saw this extra gear. Being a top 10c "requires" it, and if this is the real Suzuki for good, id say he's our Tavares.
The gear was there but not consistent. We’ve seen him play much better in the 2nd half of this season. Even when not producing points he’s way better. He was incredible in February production wise. He’s leveled up.

Reactions: themilosh

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Newhook have potential to become a 30g 30a type of guy. With Dach healthy, I believe that he is going to shine more!

Reactions: Miller Time

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This game was so similar to the other tank game we had to lose.
Four goals in five shots and then we got thoroughly outplayed after.
Hmmm

It happens. There was that game recently where Tampa jumped out to an early lead and they got outshot something like 50-15, and won.

Montreal consistently has this happen to them and it something they are going to have to learn to deal with as they mature, but it also happens to the most grizzled and experienced teams too.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Suzuki's way more of a gamer than "that kid" with the pyjamas.

But I see and agree with what you mean.

Also, screw the Leafs and Tavares.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

The only thing I will agree about here is he is a late bloomer. But, in the way that he turns it on late season in every year I’ve seen of him since coming from Vegas.

Start slow, end really hot. This can benefit the team so well. Prime Suzuki should NOT be wasted. I hope they find support.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Primeau with a huge game
Ghule and Newhook massive game
Matheson with a highlight reel goal
Never watched game, caught the highlights. Give up that many shots against Seattle concerning. Must been Primeau show. Matheson doing a Larry Robinson imitation scoring on a solo end to end dash. Hard to believe he can show that kind of hockey ability then next game make simple bonehead turnovers in own end. I never seen that before

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Well he's still only 24 so calling him a late bloomer is a bit exaggerated, no?
Suzuki is not a late bloomer. He’s just barely entering his prime. He still has lots of his 20’s left which is typically when offensive players are most effective.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

Have a look at his junior run. Playoffs. I think he lead his team back from three series deficits( two where they were down by two and three games. He had an axtra gear. Just keeps it for when the team needs him most the season is long

Reactions: Redux91

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Hmmm
Letowski said that they played a "mature" game trying to protect the lead. :laugh:

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Which makes his current contract one of the greatest managerial decisions. Captain of the team makes 8.7 - #1C... which player coming under his right wing is going to ask for more?
Talk about culture -- i think this identity is brilliant.. almost as good as Boston has had it with Bergeron.
To bring your point home even further, he’s getting 7.8 million. All that for under 8. Great contract!

Reactions: FloJack

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Never watched game, caught the highlights. Give up that many shots against Seattle concerning. Must been Primeau show. Matheson doing a Larry Robinson imitation scoring on a solo end to end dash. Hard to believe he can show that kind of hockey ability then next game make simple bonehead turnovers in own end. I never seen that before
It would appear that Matheson’s coaches, who play him 25 to 28 minutes a game and in all circumstances, have more faith and confidence in Matheson’s ability and importance than a large segment of the team’s fan base.

Occasional bone-head turnover or otherwise.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Hmmm
After 70 games, we are what our record says we are.

Last night, strong goaltending and opportunistic scoring, allowed us to blur that reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad