Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat Bedard in Home Opener.

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
While we aren't of the same tier as playoff teams, our system of defending in our zone is going to cause us to give up a lot of goals. On the pk we aren't challenging the point at all and that's strange because most teams do it to us and I wonder what the thought process was when deciding to play that way? We will continue to give up 30-40 shots a night if it continues.
I agree that the approach to the pk is going to lead to bad outcomes when playing decent teams. Not sure why we suddenly decided to try the collapsing turtle defence reviled by almost every hockey fan. In post-game comments Marty essentially said they were trying something new..

“We made a few adjustments to the way we want to kill and you definitely want to try this, but I’d be OK just practicing it in practice,” (referring to not wanting to practice it so much in the game)

Personally, I hope that the desired approach is different from what we saw but the players are currently executing it badly OR that if what we saw IS the desired approach, they will abandon it forthwith, realizing that it's a terrible idea to give good shooters time and space to shoot.

Reactions: OldCraig71

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Not near as rough as it used to be!!

Matheson has not been good up to now
Guhle has been much better
Only thing Math did yesterday was the late block
When he's on he's good but when he is not he's terrible

Well, i suppose if you want to take a 2 game snapshot, then anything can be true, but I'm looking more at the matheson we saw in Pittsburgh prior to the petry trade, along with last season overall. I don't think he's been "terrible".

Either way though, I don't think either is a long term solution in that slot.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Just stop. Never.
He absolutely is, it’s been years he keeps getting good linemates and PP minutes and he keeps bringing the whole team down. When is this madness going to stop? He’s been given all the opportunities imaginable, he‘s been put in advantageous position at the expense of younger and more deserving players and he can’t even capitalize on it. Any other player and he would have been long gone.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Ok, so Habs are playing Minnie and Caps next. Here is the chance to solidify the grip on that playoffs spot. And man... non-game days are so boring. Let's trade Gallagher... that ought to spark a conversation.

• Haha
Reactions: holy and morhilane

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I agree that the approach to the pk is going to lead to bad outcomes when playing decent teams. Not sure why we suddenly decided to try the collapsing turtle defence reviled by almost every hockey fan. In post-game comments Marty essentially said they were trying something new..

“We made a few adjustments to the way we want to kill and you definitely want to try this, but I’d be OK just practicing it in practice,” (referring to not wanting to practice it so much in the game)

Personally, I hope that the desired approach is different from what we saw but the players are currently executing it badly OR that if what we saw IS the desired approach, they will abandon it forthwith, realizing that it's a terrible idea to give good shooters time and space to shoot.
The forwards are too low, that's what they need to fix. Matthews was able to walk to the circle and shoot and so did the Hawks. We aren't pressuring the point and we see the same thing 5 on 5, way too passive. Good teams will have a field day and we have only faced one so far but we have given up 70 plus shots in two games and many of them high danger chances. This is a coaching issue.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So looking at plus minus which does mean something despite what you may hear around here our Captain our Assistant and our Veteran Pylon lead the team on the bad side -3 -2 -3. Ghule and Kovacevic lead the team on the plus side +4 +5. It shows the primary culprits responsible for the 3x 6v5 blunders.
It also shows what everyone is seeing our best pairing has #21 on it.

Reactions: Redux91

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well, i suppose if you want to take a 2 game snapshot, then anything can be true, but I'm looking more at the matheson we saw in Pittsburgh prior to the petry trade, along with last season overall. I don't think he's been "terrible".

Either way though, I don't think either is a long term solution in that slot.
Matheson when he's on he can be BiGTime
But he's either really good or really poor
He has to find some consistency

Reactions: Habs10Habs

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Love Scorey Perry, wish we could have had him sooner and could have kept him longer. Even in the twilight of his career he has proven to be a valuable player.

Agreed, wish Slaf could have spent a year on a line with him and Monahan

Reactions: Canad13ns

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Bell Centre booing handbook:

Good player against Habs? They boo you.
Bad player on Habs? They boo you.
Ex Hab player? They boo you.
Didn't sign with Habs when you could have? They boo you.
Did something shady against a Hab at some point in history? They boo you.
Commissioner of the league? They boo you double.

Habs PP: they boo (after 90s of failed zone entries)

Reactions: McGees

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
A note...Marty should not be putting our two vets together on D. We have a young D squad, let's spread things out. I don't get his logic there.
Three out of four points which could have easily been four points with a little more clutch/ timely goaltending. This is a re-building year. This team is realistically not going anywhere. Let MSL do , experiment with all combinations of forwards and defencemen until the ongoing assessment is complete. Once we become closer to contending let all the micro managing based criticisms begin. Until then, just enjoy watching the team’s development.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The forwards are too low, that's what they need to fix. Matthews was able to walk to the circle and shoot and so did the Hawks. We aren't pressuring the point and we see the same thing 5 on 5, way too passive. Good teams will have a field day and we have only faced one so far but we have given up 70 plus shots in two games and many of them high danger chances. This is a coaching issue.
Playing his wingers too high. Defense needs more support. Especially late in games. Gave up two big leads

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
So looking at plus minus which does mean something despite what you may hear around here our Captain our Assistant and our Veteran Pylon lead the team on the bad side -3 -2 -3. Ghule and Kovacevic lead the team on the plus side +4 +5. It shows the primary culprits responsible for the 3x 6v5 blunders.
It also shows what everyone is seeing our best pairing has #21 on it.
I haven't been following along as closely as I have in the past, who is #21 on the team?

Reactions: Rapala

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Three out of four points which could have easily been four points with a little more clutch/ timely goaltending. This is a re-building year. This team is realistically not going anywhere. Let MSL do , experiment with all combinations of forwards and defencemen until the ongoing assessment is complete. Once we become closer to contending let all the micro managing based criticisms begin. Until then, just enjoy watching the team’s development.

That's the point, though. I don't care about contending. The kids would develop better if they get to play with some vets in my opinion. I don't see the value of putting those vets together. What the Hell does that accomplish? Seems like sometime Marty seems slow in some areas like putting Anderson on the first line when it has never worked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad