Habs D doesn't hold up 7-3 loss

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
No reason?

There's a VERY good reason why the Habs aren't playing him.

The Habs are planning on buying him out this summer and they can't do that if he is injured. This is no secret. And that is why no matter how badly the D is playing that the Habs won't put him on the ice.

That's a stupid reason though when you consider that when playoffs come around we might lose games because we played someone else. Seriously, for all the knocks we have on Kaberle and how sweet it would be to buy the guy out, we can't afford to have rookies making rookies mistakes out there come postseason.

At the very least Kaberle would give us 15-20 minutes of half decent play that won't cost you games, with the bonus ability of being able to play on the PP as well.

Unless there is something that says you can't do it in the CBA, if he get's hurt, we could simply wait until he is healthy then buy him out. It's highly unlikely he sustains an injury that will keep him out until October. And even if we can't buy him out, it's the last year of his deal so who cares. He's a veteran defenseman who has played in the playoffs in some of the most pressure packed markets in the league and had a good deal of success while he was at it.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
With all due respect, I am positive that the Habs management knows how to do this a little better than us.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
With all due respect, I am positive that the Habs management knows how to do this a little better than us.

I would tend to agree with that statement. That being said, it makes zero sense to me to not ice your best possible team once the playoffs roll around, regardless of what future plans you might have with a certain players contract.

I happen to believe that Tomas Kaberle is part of our best possible team going into the post season, and I hope he at least get's another shot before the end of the year. He could be a big help to this team right now, because we look like we are being exposed on the back end a little bit.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. Nobody dresses up Kaberle with the thoughts of solidifying the back-end. He's not known for being great in his own zone and for good reason ; he's frankly terrible. He's soft and easily beaten.

He shines as a PP QB. He most likely will find work during the off-season by a team that is heavily suffering in that respect, but he will need to understandably get a heavy pay cut and accept a limited role. Considering the fact that he's not playing at all right now, he'll most likely be enthusiastic about playing (limited) minutes.

Personally, I get nervous whenever Kaberle is on the ice as I know from experience that he's a known defensive liability. I'd rather give the experience to Beaulieu, Tinordi, or whomever else is on a learning process. Sometimes, even one good shift is enough to bolster somebody's confidence enough to be a difference-maker in their careers.

I understand where you're coming from. You wish, in the here and now, that the Habs would address the fact that their D isn't doing so well. Kaberle is the last person I'd dress up to patch that hole. If the needs were related to the PP, maybe (and even then...). It's best to play it smart and let the current roster fix this in-house. If Kaberle were injured for a long enough stretch of time that it'd be impossible for the team to buy his remaining contract during the off-season, it would jeopardize the team's ability to sign UFAs or current players to more expensive contracts, especially due to the decreasing salary cap.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I know no one cares but I just finished exams for the semester and it has washed away the bad taste from the game last night!

Let's get it done boys!!!!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ugh... I still have 3 left to go.

All done for me. Had two term papers.. One was a 40% (38.5/40) and the other was a Neuropsychology research proposal.

Waiting for my course marks to come back. Then I can relax for the Summer and decide whether or not I'm doing my honors.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
All done for me. Had two term papers.. One was a 40% (38.5/40) and the other was a Neuropsychology research proposal.

Waiting for my course marks to come back. Then I can relax for the Summer and decide whether or not I'm doing my honors.

Add to the fact of being done that it's so very close to patio weather. I'm salivating at the thought!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad