Habs D doesn't hold up 7-3 loss

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
Probably discussed earlier, but re: Denis asnwering the question about Price while right next to him and when AC showed the clip again, not just him looking up at the camera, but how he almost had tears in his eyes:

1) Are you ****ing Pejorative Slured Marc Denis? I thought you and Price are pals. You couldn't pick another question? You couldn't just not say his name? (we already knew who you were talking about.) I really like Denis, but he did the most idiotic thing. You think Carey isn't already having a psychological meltdown.

2) If I'm in Price's head, I'm thinking, "What does a guy have to do in a 'rebound game' to have his team bail him out?"

After the second goal (which was not great), he shut the door and made it so that we got within one. Of course, there was the 3rd goal wherein Gorges made me want to beat him with a bat for the amount he talks about playing hard and focussing and all that bs that makes people want him to be captain. Your best buddy just made a string of great saves. Your team just got back into it to make it 2-1. Sure...just be ridiculously lame on the puck and allow them to shove it top corner (something our fwds have no idea how to do) from RIGHT IN THE SLOT.

DD coverage on the Giroux goal...wow...just wow. Price goes across to make the save, YOU PICK UP YOUR ****ING GUY ASHOLE! Then his missed chances and penalties. I haven't been this mad at the team this year, not even close and DD is the biggest example of how there is no culpability and MT is full of ****. If Eller doesn't start on that line next game (Or Chucky, moving DD to 3rd line wing), it just shows that you can suck and as long as you're a media darling (even the AC crew were not impressed with DD), you don't get the Eller benched after ONE game treatment.

Drewiskie was doing ok...until tonight. Boullion honestly plays hard, there's so much he can do.

I'll say it again, losing Emelin is just like when we lost MArkov before the playoffs. The buffalo game meant nothing. It was right after their firesale. Without Emelin, our whole team dynamic sucks and it has a trickle down effect with the pairings.

PK had a good AND bad game, but can't fault him, has to do it all alone. Markov, haven't seen him that bad in awhile. Then again, when he puts it on your stick, Ryder, you don't just tap it.

I saw Pacioretty getting involved towards the end, but still no finish apart from that first goal. No power forward there.

Beaulieu: Yeah, you're a rookie, fine, I get that you make mistakes, but when you're recovering the puck in your zone with a flyer bearing down on you, don't remind me of that time you gave up on the play in the WJC. I've heard about his headcase problems and he needs to fix them. Tinordi plays like a professional. Even Pateryn would have at least given a ****.

Chucky played great, so did Eller, but they were a littttle out of sync on a few plays. Not a big deal, but I hope they can start scoring on a goal p game basis for that line cuz they'll need to carry this team. Them and the absolutely phenomenal Brendan Gallagher. Wow. What a player. Makes me happy that he wears 11, plays like him. Puck along the boards, two guys on you...nifty but simple cut and you're into the middle of the ice. Patches, take notice. Your blue line wristers are more annoying than Gio's slapshots.

Back to Price. He let in one bad goal. Not enough to lose the game. Made many more saves to win the game. No team in front of him. I mentioned this against Toronto and people said that it's cuz we were already down 3 goals. No, it's the same **** - this team has all of a sudden turned to ****. I can understand why Price's face read "Are they seriously blaming ME, AGAIN?"

I think the crowd at the BC could tell that Carey was being hung out to dry and got behind him when he was making those saves which were at the time, pretty key.

Maybe it's time we do have our usual mass board panic. That's usually when things turn around and against a tough opponent.

wow this is a ****ing good post!

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
You know that part when someone asks him a question and he gives his opinion?

Q tonight was "what's up with CP31?"

He answered it standing RIGHT next to Price and in doing so mentioned his name (could easily not have). Carey thus knew that the telecast was now focussed on him and he gave this knowing glance at the camera. Following shots showed him either super pissed, super upset or both (which I would be).

Denis is a moron for that, I hope he had a talk with Carey after to tell him that everyone is still behind him. We don't need another 09 playoff experience, we need him to feel like the fans are counting on him and believe in him. His psychological state is (I know it sounds petty) really important right now. He needs a lift, not a sledgehammer to the face like MD delivered.

It was replayed on AC and made more obvious how that slip up by Denis was affecting Price.

I know people think he doesn't care, but he really does. A lot.

Denis is not a moron. He's just doing his job. Part of being a pro athlete is getting analyzed. It's not like Price knew he wouldn't be talked about.

Furthermore, I hope Price's psychological state is not as fragile as it would be affected by Marc Denis :shakehead

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Denis is not a moron. He's just doing his job. Part of being a pro athlete is getting analyzed. It's not like Price knew he wouldn't be talked about.

Furthermore, I hope Price's psychological state is not as fragile as it would be affected by Marc Denis :shakehead

His job? This is hockey and you know very well that MD has ties to the team and inside access and I'm sure doesn't want to make things worse for the Habs. I actually love Denis as a colour guy, it's just this one thing where he did something idiotic. You say you hope Price is more robust psychologically? Well most of his detractors think he's the tin man. If you just went through what he did in the last two games, how would you feel if you don't know what is being said on the team's broadcast, except that they mention your name and you know it probably isn't a question about what your favourite Nic Cage movie is?

It was stupid, stupid and if not done by accident (I'll grant him that), a dick thing to do. There was zero reason to mention his name. That and ironically Denis was kind of defending Carey, he just didn't know it cuz he can't understand the rest of what he's saying.

Pro-athlete or not, it's the team that failed tonight and for a goalie, being singled out when you are battling through it all, is not a good feeling to think that everyone is piling on you....again.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
His job? This is hockey and you know very well that MD has ties to the team and inside access and I'm sure doesn't want to make things worse for the Habs. I actually love Denis as a colour guy, it's just this one thing where he did something idiotic. You say you hope Price is more robust psychologically? Well most of his detractors think he's the tin man. If you just went through what he did in the last two games, how would you feel if you don't know what is being said on the team's broadcast, except that they mention your name and you know it probably isn't a question about what your favourite Nic Cage movie is?

It was stupid, stupid and if not done by accident (I'll grant him that), a dick thing to do. There was zero reason to mention his name. That and ironically Denis was kind of defending Carey, he just didn't know it cuz he can't understand the rest of what he's saying.

Pro-athlete or not, it's the team that failed tonight and for a goalie, being singled out when you are battling through it all, is not a good feeling to think that everyone is piling on you....again.

Stop being dramatic man.

Price just let in 9 goals in about 30 or so shots. He gets pulled in two straight games. You actually think in his mind he doesn't know what Denis is saying about him? You really think in your mind that Price is going to go omg Denis is talking about me ...

He knows this is Montreal. He knows people will talk about him on AntiChamber, le match, tsn 690, la presse, gazette, journal de montreal, that's hockey, sportsnet, etc...

Part of the media attention and the fanbase is what gets these athletes loads of money. It's part of the job.

Part of being a good athlete is having a good mentality and a good psyche. Please don't blame Denis for "piling" on him. Carey has to be strong and get over this. I hope it's not Denis answering a question that will make him question his game. It should be his game questionning his game.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Marc Denis should have called Price 'Roger Bontemps' and winked at the camera. Or maybe made a shush sign and pointed at him.

That is honestly funny.

Best thing would be to just remove the words "Carey Price" from the sentence and just say "lui" or "son technique" or whatever. I just didn't like the memories it brought back of THAT year.

Interestingly, the first or second issue of Les Canadiens was about how Price has matured and learned to deal with this kind of stuff. I'm glad for it, cuz if he's going to become unbeatable, it has to be mental first. People tend to forget that.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Stop being dramatic man.

Price just let in 9 goals in about 30 or so shots. He gets pulled in two straight games. You actually think in his mind he doesn't know what Denis is saying about him? You really think in your mind that Price is going to go omg Denis is talking about me ...

He knows this is Montreal. He knows people will talk about him on AntiChamber, le match, tsn 690, la presse, gazette, journal de montreal, that's hockey, sportsnet, etc...

Part of the media attention and the fanbase is what gets these athletes loads of money. It's part of the job.

Part of being a good athlete is having a good mentality and a good psyche. Please don't blame Denis for "piling" on him. Carey has to be strong and get over this. I hope it's not Denis answering a question that will make him question his game. It should be his game questionning his game.

So I guess I'm imagining it so much that I also imagined AC showing the whole thing again to highlight how much it DID affect him.

Of course he knows that. He knew that probably after the first goal went in. How did YOU feel during the game? Happy? Probably not. Neither did Price. You aren't getting the context of what and how it happened. It's not the end of the world, but I think it was a dumb thing to do given the circumstances. If it was Glen Healy, I wouldn't bat an eye, but I expect MD to be a little more sensitive to the situation and to a guy who is currently going through the roughest part of the season. Of course Carey has to get over it. My main point is that this game was glaringly a display of how **** the D is and all but one goal (was a pretty good screen that he was still trying to look over when the shot was taken) was "bad". It was players losing their guys, not playing like a 2nd place team and not bailing out a teammate who needed them to just be competent. And then he hears HIS name mentioned. Watch the clip and you tell me if it doesn't make your stomach turn.

BTW, I'm not trying to go on about it, it's the least of our problems, I'm just replying to your "Carey Price gets paid $$$ so get can go cry somewhere else" attitude.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
So I guess I'm imagining it so much that I also imagined AC showing the whole thing again to highlight how much it DID affect him.

Of course he knows that. He knew that probably after the first goal went in. How did YOU feel during the game? Happy? Probably not. Neither did Price. You aren't getting the context of what and how it happened. It's not the end of the world, but I think it was a dumb thing to do given the circumstances. If it was Glen Healy, I wouldn't bat an eye, but I expect MD to be a little more sensitive to the situation and to a guy who is currently going through the roughest part of the season. Of course Carey has to get over it. My main point is that this game was glaringly a display of how **** the D is and all but one goal (was a pretty good screen that he was still trying to look over when the shot was taken) was "bad". It was players losing their guys, not playing like a 2nd place team and not bailing out a teammate who needed them to just be competent. And then he hears HIS name mentioned. Watch the clip and you tell me if it doesn't make your stomach turn.

BTW, I'm not trying to go on about it, it's the least of our problems, I'm just replying to your "Carey Price gets paid $$$ so get can go cry somewhere else" attitude.

Maybe Denis did it on purpose so Price hears his name and gets pissed and lights a fire on him ..

This can go on both ways ...

It's useless to say someone is "dumb" in a public forum no less when he was just doing his job and literally did nothing wrong. He just answered a question from a fan. You guys are way too sensitive.

How come you are not sensitive and think twice before calling Denis dumb in a public forum when he is just working and trying to earn a living?

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Maybe Denis did it on purpose so Price hears his name and gets pissed and lights a fire on him ..

This can go on both ways ...

It's useless to say someone is "dumb" in a public forum no less when he was just doing his job and literally did nothing wrong. He just answered a question from a fan. You guys are way too sensitive.

How come you are not sensitive and think twice before calling Denis dumb in a public forum when he is just working and trying to earn a living?

You're right, those are totally the same thing.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
NHL.com has Subban at +2...

It's not even possible because we only scored 1 ES goal.:laugh:

I guess he's THAT good.:D

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Big don't mean good.....but even without being good...they can stop small forwards.
It's easy to stop small forward by shaking them a little.

Well...let's look at another team the Habs seems to have all the trouble in the world lately...Toronto:

D
Franson, 6'5"
Fraser, 6'4"
Gardiner, 6'2"
Gunnarson, 6'2"
O'byrne, 6'5"
Phaneuf, 6'3"

Didnt follow everything you've said in this thread so far... but it doesnt make much sense to bring the size factor when the Habs were clearly the agressor in this game... White at first, then Galchenuyk boarding, Plekanec losing it on Danielle, Eller at the end...

the only thing the Flyers did is "protecting" their own players, nothing more.

And when in a game like this your best forwards are rookies Galchenyuk and Gallagher (BG by FAR our best tonight) along with "little girl" Plekanec... it sure wasnt because of physicality that we lost.

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
NHL.com has Subban at +2...

It's not even possible because we only scored 1 ES goal.:laugh:

I guess he's THAT good.:D

An oversight on their part.

They marked Gallagher's goal as ES when it should have been a PPG.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Clowe and Murray are not going to fix this team alone.
Last night the best players on the ice were mostly the guys we drafted. Signing UFAs and trades don't seem to bring the same drive in players like it does home grown ones. I'd rather have the picks right now. The two Gally's were the best guys on the ice last night. I think our 2013 2nd rounder outplayed most Habs last night.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Last night the best players on the ice were mostly the guys we drafted. Signing UFAs and trades don't seem to bring the same drive in players like it does home grown ones. I'd rather have the picks right now. The two Gally's were the best guys on the ice last night. I think our 2013 2nd rounder outplayed most Habs last night.

yup, 5'9 Gallagher being BY FAR our best player, raised his game while prety much everyone else sucked.

Oct 22, 2012
yup, 5'9 Gallagher being BY FAR our best player, raised his game while prety much everyone else sucked.

and has been for quite some time now. Him and Galchenyuk had a great game. I'm happy for bgally getting more minutes now but lets get agally some. That goal last night showed a more grittier side to battle for the puck. We have a young, highly talented, rugged center, who drives the net, battles in corners, makes plays, shoots more often then not(misses yes but still). Give him the minutes.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Did you guys see the slashing major by Eller?

CSN didn't really show it and I just noticed it on NHL.com

He got a slashing major and game misconduct at 20:00 of the third period

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
and has been for quite some time now. Him and Galchenyuk had a great game. I'm happy for bgally getting more minutes now but lets get agally some. That goal last night showed a more grittier side to battle for the puck. We have a young, highly talented, rugged center, who drives the net, battles in corners, makes plays, shoots more often then not(misses yes but still). Give him the minutes.

Agreed, especially on games like this where the team isnt doing anything good, use these games to give more icetime and experiment with both kids.

If anything, have the Gally back together, they're both doing great right now.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I said at the time that Emelin was a huge loss. Some people actually disagreed which is hilarious. He was a plus player while playing with a partner who was a minus. Played 20 minutes, was our top penalty killer, and was a hitting machine. Teams had to be weary of him. Now? Who on our D is anybody afraid of? Nobody.

Very soft D. Problem is you can't just go out and pick up an Emelin. They're tough to find. I'm glad MB didn't trade away this year's draft picks. Maybe next year, but not this year. Too good of a draft, and there's simply not enough depth in the organization.

The important thing is we're already in the playoffs. What we do then is what matters. Now, we just need to try to hold onto home ice advantage.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Did you guys see the slashing major by Eller?

CSN didn't really show it and I just noticed it on NHL.com

He got a slashing major and game misconduct at 20:00 of the third period

Yeah it was at the end of the period. Someone gave a little slash and he retaliated with a stick swing. Barely touch the Flyers though. It happened right in front of the Flyers' bench.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What did David Desharnais do to merit 20:42 of ice time – more than any other forward on either team?

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
wow this is a ****ing good post!

I think so too...
Losing Emelin has shot the chemistry of the defensive pairings.

Diaz is the only hope to stop the slide. Unfortunately, he's not the same type of player as Emelin, but he's better suited for the role than Drewiske or Bouillon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad