Habs D Chart

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
The General ended up 11th in the league in the points department for the defensemen and you want to trade him? The guy was playing the whole season like he was still in his prime. I don't know what some of you guys are smoking but Petry and Beaulieu arent going to replace Markov.

Who do you want to replace him with? Some people around here are underrating his work. 3 years ago, people where saying that he was done. They were wrong and are still wrong today. Markov is not the issue, his minutes are.

How do you say "Petry and Beaulieu aren't going to replace Markov" and "Markov is not the issue, his minutes are"

In order for him to get less minutes, 1 of Petry or Beaulieu HAS to replace him.......

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Beaulieu Subban
Markov Petry

I don't think it's great to have a 4.1M $ dman on our 3rd pairing.

I see Beaulieu more as the 3rd pairing D, unless he can step up next year. No way do I see him handling Markov's ice time.

Markov Subban
Emelin Petry
Beaulieu Gilbert
Tinordi Pateryn

If they need money then try and package PAP, if not buy him out and trade Gilbert first imo. The problem with trading any D right now is that we have next to nothing in the AHL if injuries hit hard. Granted we will likely add some blueliners for our AHL club since we don't even have enough to start the season. But right now we have a very good top 3, after that there's a lot of question marks to round out the rest and next to nothing in the AHL to call up.

How do you say "Petry and Beaulieu aren't going to replace Markov" and "Markov is not the issue, his minutes are"

In order for him to get less minutes, 1 of Petry or Beaulieu HAS to replace him.......

well I would look at cutting Markov's PK time as much as possible.

If say they went with 7D and they end up trading Gilbert, the PK could be

Emelin Subban
Tinordi Petry/Pateryn

If Tinordi shows enough, you could rotate him, Beaulieu and Pateryn. That would mean 2 of the 3 would play every night (unless Beaulieu really steps up into the top 4 role, then Emelin could rotate with Tin) I don't want Tinordi to play on his off-side but perhaps he could do it here and there against perhaps against teams at the bottom of the standings.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
We have to start limiting Marky's time this year. 2nd or 3rd pairing with PP time gets him around 18-20 minutes.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs, for the first time in yrs. don't have a need to acquire a defenceman in the off season, that's great news it leaves our GM to concentrate his efforts upon the forwards, draft, UFA's and trades;

1) Forwards - Veteran offensive goalscorers preferably, not likely though as Bergy said 25-30 goalscorers don't get traded.
2) Draft - This is the most likely option to acquire offensive forwards that either create goalscoring, playmaking forwards or goalscoring snipers/wingers usually, for the Habs LW's.
3) UFA's - 2015 the list of available goalscoring UFA's the cupboard is so bare it's invisible to the naked eye, IMHO.
4) Trades - Always a team ready to trade but it usually leaves a hole in another area, so no appreciative upside.

Trading a couple of veteran players with a prospect may get the Habs a better 1st round draft position.(10 - 15) While keeping our 26th pick preferably, Edmonton's 2nd pick - 16th OV 2015(Pittsburgh's pick) would put the Habs in range for one of the good LW's available. Trading Emelin or Gilbert with a veteran forward(Plekanec might be enough) Having the 16th OV and the other Dman or our 26th might get a 9th or 10th pick. Say Connor, Crouse, Zacha all LW's or Barzal(LHC), the type of pick that could join the Habs in the 2016/2017 season, hopefully giving the Habs another offensive gem that makes out Top Six elite type offence. With McCarron & Scherbak graduating to the Habs also.:nod:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Beaulieu Subban
Markov Petry

I don't think it's great to have a 4.1M $ dman on our 3rd pairing.

Beaulieu and Petry were terrible together. Emelin and Petry were our best pairing in the playoffs. Maybe if you watch games with your eyes closed Beaulieu would start the year in the top 4.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Still if we can land a guy like Andrej Sekera for free on the open market, I say we do it and trade current D for assets.

I'm a huge Beaulieu fan. But if we're offered a prospect/youngin who is equally bright, but a forward, I would do the trade. Timmins has consistently drafted great dmen. I think Dietz and maybe Lernout will pan out.

Yeah, but Markov's contract is up in 2 years and Beaulieu is our one and only hope to possibly step up to that level and be a number 2. You keep Beaulieu.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Gilbert moves...Pateryn takes his spot permanently

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn

I could also see Markov and Beaulieu switching spots. Markov and Petry could be a good pair too but I think Petry makes Emelin a top 4. They're a perfect compliment to each other. Emelin can't play with Subban (they tried that) but Petry is the perfect match because he's simpler and I think a better skater than Subban (at least in terms of short distances and lateral mobility) which really helps Emelin.

Maybe Markov and Beaulieu take turns with Subban but I really think Beau is ready for more and Markov is probably ready for a bit less.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I see Beaulieu more as the 3rd pairing D, unless he can step up next year. No way do I see him handling Markov's ice time.

Markov Subban
Emelin Petry
Beaulieu Gilbert
Tinordi Pateryn

If they need money then try and package PAP, if not buy him out and trade Gilbert first imo. The problem with trading any D right now is that we have next to nothing in the AHL if injuries hit hard. Granted we will likely add some blueliners for our AHL club since we don't even have enough to start the season. But right now we have a very good top 3, after that there's a lot of question marks to round out the rest and next to nothing in the AHL to call up.

Beaulieu needs to get into our top 2 pairings next year.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we now have the most expensive D corps in the league?

Beaulieu and Petry were terrible together. Emelin and Petry were our best pairing in the playoffs. Maybe if you watch games with your eyes closed Beaulieu would start the year in the top 4.

I only watch the games with my eyes closed out of fear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
5-on-5:

Markov - Subban
Emelin/Beaulieu - Petry

PP:

Subban - Petry
Markov - ??????

Less SH minutes for Markov.

= Markov at 21-22min/game

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
The Flyers and Rangers pay more as it stands now.

Rangers are at 28,550,000 (6 D)
Staal, Girardi, Yandle, Mcdonagh, Boyle, Klein

Philly is at 29,158, 000 (9 D)
This includes Pronger (4.5M) who is LTIR so they are actually around 24M for 8d

We are at 27,712,000 (6 D)
This doesn't include Tinordi or Beaulieu

We have the highest payroll for dmen in the league.......(or will have)

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Buyouts do nothing for salary cap relief. The option of using free buyouts from the last CBA have expired. I keep seeing this mentioned for PAP, too.

Yes, but though not free you can buy a 26 plus year old at 2 thirds over 2 years. So PAP is 1.33M over 2 years, and so you save $2.67M this year. PAP has to go, buyout if necessary.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Buyouts do nothing for salary cap relief. The option of using free buyouts from the last CBA have expired. I keep seeing this mentioned for PAP, too.

The cap hit gets spread out over multiple years. Buying out PAP would give us like 3 mil cap relief.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Beaulieu and Subban on the first pairing. Yeah, right.

People really want Beaulieu to be better than he actually is. Give him time, he's nowhere close to being a first pairing dman right now.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I don't get the Gilbert hate. He doesn't **** up nearly as much as people try and make it sound when they discredit him. Is he the perfect d-man? No, but he definitely is more than okay in his role with us.

The d-man who is in over his head is clearly Emelin. He's paid more and has an even lower hockey IQ. The guy is a positional nightmare out there on most nights but because he hits he gets a free pass. I'll be the first to admit he had a pretty good playoff but the issue with Emelin has and always will be consistency. He'll have 20 good games for every 60 bad ones IMO.

PricePkPatch*

Beaulieu and Subban on the first pairing. Yeah, right.

I have actually high hopes for Beaulieu.

He can potentially eat big minutes for us. Just make Petry and Markov play 20 minutes, 10 against top opposition, and make Subban/B play 28-30, 12 against top opposition. The rest against lower challenges.

Manage everyone's minutes, make sure we always have the option to overplay them.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I have actually high hopes for Beaulieu.

He can potentially eat big minutes for us. Just make Petry and Markov play 20 minutes, 10 against top opposition, and make Subban/B play 28-30, 12 against top opposition. The rest against lower challenges.

Manage everyone's minutes, make sure we always have the option to overplay them.

potentially, that's the key word here.

He has NOT proven he can do it NOW.

PricePkPatch*

potentially, that's the key word here.

He has NOT proven he can do it NOW.

He has proven he can eat mid-pairing minutes alongside the likes of Gonchar.

With Subban, he wouldn't look out of place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad