Habs D Chart

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
This is exactly why we should be adding to the pile, not removing from the pile. The last team to have a MVP caliber goaltender was Boston, and... LOOK AT THAT... They had no elite center.

I swear this ****ing obsession with a number one center is driving me nuts.

I agree with you, but MB is adding a bunch of muckers to the pile instead of substance. He has to decide if we're contenders or not...because if we're constantly in transition Markov will be 39 before you know it and worth pretty much what Gonchar was worth.

If we're contenders, time to get it done. Signing Petry was a great start...it needed to be done...now he needs to improve the top 6...and I don't mean another bandaid solution like PAP is.

If not, then we're better off trading our older guys for younger guys just starting to come to their potential.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This again. Ten goals, 50 points regular season. We have now solidified the D and we trade Markov? Who has a NTC I am guessing.

What we do is play him 20 min. a game in the regular season instead of 25 min. so he has gas in the tank for the play-offs.

This.

Pretty much nails it.

If you trade Markov you just open up another hole that has to be filled.

Like you said I would cut his minutes and limit his PK time, so he has less wear and tear...he's in great shape and durable, but the blocked shots and hits add up especially when playing 23-24 minutes a night at 35-36.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I actually think our center depth is alright. This year we could have:

Galchenyuk (if he's used as a number one he's going to get 65 points at least)
Eller/Pleks
Pleks/Eller
DLR

That is a good group down the middle. Pleks isn't going to scare anyone but he provides good depth. We could give more minutes to Eller as well. DLR would be good learning his way on the 4th. Personally I see that as a solid group. We don't have the stars down the middle that others do but there's good depth there. I think our real priority is on the right side.

It's too bad Babcock came over because now I think the Leafs won't move Kessel. He's actually somebody I would've targeted.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I actually think our center depth is alright. This year we could have:

Galchenyuk (if he's used as a number one he's going to get 65 points at least)
Eller/Pleks
Pleks/Eller
DLR

That is a good group down the middle. Pleks isn't going to scare anyone but he provides good depth. We could give more minutes to Eller as well. DLR would be good learning his way on the 4th. Personally I see that as a solid group. We don't have the stars down the middle that others do but there's good depth there. I think our real priority is on the right side.

It's too bad Babcock came over because now I think the Leafs won't move Kessel. He's actually somebody I would've targeted.

I would love it if we could add Brad Richards on the cheap and trade Pleks for help on the wing.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is exactly why we should be adding to the pile, not removing from the pile. The last team to have a MVP caliber goaltender was Boston, and... LOOK AT THAT... They had no elite center.

I swear this ****ing obsession with a number one center is driving me nuts.

They had Krejci-Bergeron

Krejci was very good that play-offs.

You might not need an elite center.. but you need one that can produce in the play-offs.. One who can, isn't playing center, the other who has, isn't getting the line-mates or minutes..

All we need is Galchenyuk to play the Krejci role and Eller to play the Bergeron role

Instead we play DD in the Krejci Role and Pleks in the Bergeron role.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree with you, but MB is adding a bunch of muckers to the pile instead of substance. He has to decide if we're contenders or not...because if we're constantly in transition Markov will be 39 before you know it and worth pretty much what Gonchar was worth.

If we're contenders, time to get it done. Signing Petry was a great start...it needed to be done...now he needs to improve the top 6...and I don't mean another bandaid solution like PAP is.

If not, then we're better off trading our older guys for younger guys just starting to come to their potential.
Yes. It's exactly why I've hoped on the Anti-Bergy trend. The guy has done squat and the transition thing has to stop. It was cute in the first season, but it's clear to everyone and their mothers that we are wasting prime years of Price, Subban and Patches.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
You only trade Markov if someone overpays for him... Which doesn't seem likely. In the meantime, you play him 18-20 minutes tops, 2nd pairing duties. Less PK time too.

Last edited:

Alex514

May 10, 2015
My bad folks, after having read the details of his contract (Markov's) he only had a full NTC in his first year and provided a list of 12 teams he is willing to be traded to. But I still think he'd like to stay...

PricePkPatch*

Play him with Petry for limited minutes, against tough opposition.

Make Subban and Beaulieu eat lots of minutes against a mix of tough and average competition.

Keep Markov fresh, develop Beaulieu to play with Subby. Increase the B-S opposition alongside Beaulieu's develop, and use M-P as your steam valve.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
My bad folks, after having read the details of his contract (Markov's) he only had a full NTC in his first year and provided a list of 12 teams he is willing to be traded to. But I still think he'd like to stay...

Do you mind me asking where you got that info.

I'd like to read the info on Emelin contract, people mention the has a NTC but I very very very doubt its a full NTC, just like in Petry case where he got a NTC I doubt its a full NTC

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
They had Krejci-Bergeron

Krejci was very good that play-offs.

You might not need an elite center.. but you need one that can produce in the play-offs.. One who can, isn't playing center, the other who has, isn't getting the line-mates or minutes..

All we need is Galchenyuk to play the Krejci role and Eller to play the Bergeron role

Instead we play DD in the Krejci Role and Pleks in the Bergeron role.

Krejci and Bergy are two numbers ones, IMO. But they're still not elite. It's on the management if were not winning anything.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Gilbert is the obvious answer. Right shot. Will be in demand. If you trade Emelin and Markov falters / retires our left side is extremely thin.

Bergy will go with Tinordi as the 7th, then sign 1 or 2 cheap unwanted AHL/NHL tweeners for depth.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I was about to say that Tinordi could start with the Habs on the 3rd pairing, but then I realized that giving him an appropriate workload would imply giving too much minutes to Markov or Beaulieu.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I think if MB can find a partner, Emelin will be the odd man out. He's paid to be a middle pairing guy and Beaulieu has surpassed him on the depth chart in my opinion. Not great cap management to have a 4 Million guy playing as your #5.

Markov -Subban
Beaulieu - Petry
Gilbert - Pateryn
Tinordi

Gilbert's contract is easier to move, so if Emelin can't be moved, I'd say he'll be MB second choice to go.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
In order of likelyhood:

1. Gilbert
2. Emelin
3. Tinordi
4. Beaulieu
5. Markov
6. Pateryn
7. Petry
8. Subban

If it's for a pick, just to make room for Tinordi, then Gilbert will go. But if it's a hockey move, and we're trying to move a d-man to improve our forward group, Emelin or Tinordi have more value. Beaulieu is not likely to be moved at all but if we're aiming a little higher for talent then that could be the cost.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Look up NHL.com stats page. Markov was #11 last year in TOI (total). Most of the guys over him are under 30. No sane coach would play a 36 years old 25 min/game on a nightly basis.

The one thing we really need to do is stop playing him on the penalty kill. Since he's still very useful on the PP and those are easy minutes that's fine. Then just manage his ES minutes so he ends up playing no more than 20 min. per game.

Sad thing is, we know Therrien doesn't understand that.

Oh and, as usual: NTC. He wants to stay here. The best you'd get is a prospect and a pick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is it time to pull a Rivet with Agent79? Discuss

I would trade Gilbert or Emelin before Markov, to me there's no one close to being able to take over Markov's ice time. We have a very good top 3 but they need to reduce his work load so he's not done by the time the playoffs roll around.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
The General ended up 11th in the league in the points department for the defensemen and you want to trade him? The guy was playing the whole season like he was still in his prime. I don't know what some of you guys are smoking but Petry and Beaulieu arent going to replace Markov.

Who do you want to replace him with? Some people around here are underrating his work. 3 years ago, people where saying that he was done. They were wrong and are still wrong today. Markov is not the issue, his minutes are.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
The General ended up 11th in the league in the points department for the defensemen and you want to trade him? The guy was playing the whole season like he was still in his prime. I don't know what some of you guys are smoking but Petry and Beaulieu arent going to replace Markov.

Who do you want to replace him with? Some people around here are underrating his work. 3 years ago, people where saying that he was done. They were wrong and are still wrong today. Markov is not the issue, his minutes are.

Bingo! Exactly.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Gilbert is paid 2.8!?? Ouch thats a lot for a guy who's going to be 6-7th on the depth chart...

Emelin has more value, which is why he might get traded instead but really, I hope they move Gilbert.

Habs are very thin on the left side. Makes no sense to trade Emelin and keep Gilbert to play on his off side. Much rather trade Gilbert if need be.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Habs are very thin on the left side. Makes no sense to trade Emelin and keep Gilbert to play on his off side. Much rather trade Gilbert if need be.

Beaulieu Subban
Markov Petry

I don't think it's great to have a 4.1M $ dman on our 3rd pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad