Recalled/Assigned: Habs Cuts (28th: Dumont clears waivers)

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
Lineups can change in a hurry. Was anyone pencilling Gallagher in as a surefire top 9 player last fall?

Bournival may end up ahead of Bourque or Gallagher on the depth chart if he keeps outplaying them.

I have a funny feeling about Gallagher this season. Refs aren't giving him the benefit of the doubt when he gets knocked down..just the opposite, and he's really been getting manhandled. Ottawa showed in the playoffs that you could get away with quite a bit because he already had a rep as a bit of an embellisher.

He did not look that good in the preseason offensively, and that was playing with the same guys every game on a good line. I think he may suffer from the dreaded sophomore slump, and it would not surprise me to see him spend some time on the fourth line or even in the press box if he doesn't get it going offensively. Hopefully he was just snakebitten.

Anyway, Gallagher isn't surprising teams any more, and with the preponderance of small players in the Habs' top 9..Gally is going to have to produce or he'll lose his spot to Bournival soon enough. I wouldn't mind seeing a line of Chucky, Eller and Bournival some day...speed, size, smarts, good defensively.

If Bournival keeps playing like he has he will stay in the lineup, and move up eventually.

I think you're seriously underestimating Gallagher and his work ethic. Everything I've seen this preseason looks like he's going to be his little hellraising self all over again this season. His points might go down, but the energy and speed he brings to a forecheck will be as invaluable as ever and the kid just plays harder than 95% of the players I've ever seen in the league.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't understand the huge love for Dumont and people being so scared he's going to be picked up on waivers. Sure, he might be picked up, but he's not that special a player.

Ryan Jones cleared waivers, and all things considered, he's probably better a better 4th liner than Dumont. It seems Jones' game has taken a step back though, but Dumont is still showing no more than Jones.

Bournival, to me, looks like he's at least as good as Dumont right now. But Bournival seems to have much more potential, especially on the offensive side of the puck.

As for Beaulieu, he's gonna be a good one. He didn't look out of place at all in either of the last two games. He's got very good puck skills and he's very quick.

Dumont's cap hit is under 600k. Jones makes 1.5 mil cap hit. In a year where the cap drops and a pile of teams are in cap hell, that's a huge factor.

Nobody is saying Dumont would be a huge loss, but it's still a guy lost for nothing who could help the team at some point this year and help the Bulldogs right away. Last year we lost Palushaj who is a different player but had similar value and it hurt the young players, not having him on that top line to take some pressure off.

There are a lot of guys that struggled to make the NHL at first and turned into solid 4th line role players. I think Dumont can be another.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Lineups can change in a hurry. Was anyone pencilling Gallagher in as a surefire top 9 player last fall?

Bournival may end up ahead of Bourque or Gallagher on the depth chart if he keeps outplaying them.

I have a funny feeling about Gallagher this season. Refs aren't giving him the benefit of the doubt when he gets knocked down..just the opposite, and he's really been getting manhandled. Ottawa showed in the playoffs that you could get away with quite a bit because he already had a rep as a bit of an embellisher.

He did not look that good in the preseason offensively, and that was playing with the same guys every game on a good line. I think he may suffer from the dreaded sophomore slump, and it would not surprise me to see him spend some time on the fourth line or even in the press box if he doesn't get it going offensively. Hopefully he was just snakebitten.

Anyway, Gallagher isn't surprising teams any more, and with the preponderance of small players in the Habs' top 9..Gally is going to have to produce or he'll lose his spot to Bournival soon enough. I wouldn't mind seeing a line of Chucky, Eller and Bournival some day...speed, size, smarts, good defensively.

If Bournival keeps playing like he has he will stay in the lineup, and move up eventually.
Maybe not surefire but certainly a strong candidate.

Gallagher came out as a top prospects for two years and was among the last being sent back.
He was also among the top scorers with the Dogs a few months later.

So expecting him to make the team was discussed.
Some were even suggesting to keep him for 9 games back in his first camp.

But nobody was expecting him, to my knowledge, the production he gave us in his first season.

He knows what he needs to do to get points. He will keep doing it.
Referees will keep giving penalties because he is being abused.
He will also learn a trick or two with Brière.:laugh:

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

You have said what no one wants to hear, yet it had to be said. Of all the players on the roster, Gallagher has the biggest potential to disappoint. As you said, he won't be surprising teams any more and if the NHL allows him to be manhandled without any repercussions, it will really reduce his effectiveness.

Of course I want him to succeed but I think the expectations for him are too high in many cases. As guys like McCarron, Bournival and others develop, the pressure will really be on Gallagher to maintain his position in the lineup.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I think you're seriously underestimating Gallagher and his work ethic. Everything I've seen this preseason looks like he's going to be his little hellraising self all over again this season. His points might go down, but the energy and speed he brings to a forecheck will be as invaluable as ever and the kid just plays harder than 95% of the players I've ever seen in the league.

Not underestimating his work ethic at all...I agree that he's a hard worker, and that will keep him in the lineup...but he may never be a top 6 forward, as the size/speed dimension are so important for that role despite his determination and character.

Just don't be expecting too much from him this season - I have a feeling it may be a tough one for him as expectations are so high.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

Playoff hockey made sense, and Gallagher taking quite a beating, but was surprised with what teams were getting away with during the preseason. guess will find out shortly?

If a couple posts turned into goals, or didn't miss the odd empty net, we wouldn't even be talking about his offensive production. It looked like he slowed down after his first game (going hard to the net and causing a ruckus) and, again, will only find out it it's because it was preseason or will continue.

I don't know what people's expectations are, but he had an average preseason (for my expectations) and if he scored on a couple of those posts or empty nets, he would've played very well.

I never truly thought he was a top 6 guy, but rather a 3rdliner who creates problems through his style of play and a bonus when he chips in offensively. However, he is a guy who can fill in on the top 6 when guys are hurt because of his style of play and ability to read the game at fast pace.

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
Yeah...it's not like Gallagher didn't hit the post 3-4 times with 3-4 open nets missed. And not like Eller and Galchenyuk didn't suck for most of the games till last night. I agree with Grant that expectations are maybe a tad too high on gally but I sure wouldn't bet agaisnt him being in the top9. I expect somewhat a similar season to last year, maybe a bit less goals per game.

Anyway gally's game is based around the net and when Galchenyuk and Eller turn the puck over every other rush, it is hard for him to play down low and win battles for lose pucks.

Yeah, I didn't like Eller's and Chucky's preseason. Come at me HFboards.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Gallagher provides energy and pressure.. His offence will go up and down, but he will be effective.. Not worried

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah, I didn't like Eller's and Chucky's preseason. Come at me HFboards.

They'll come at you for a lot less. :D

I agree, however, we've seen in previous years the trappings of extrapolating from pre-season games -- they're mostly a gouging mechanism for season-ticket holders, with an occasional revelation. Let's give it a few regular season games to get a better read.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Some people being sarcastic about Blunden...

You know, he fills a jersey nicely. He will not help you at all, but won't hurt you either. Just painfully average player.But if you have injuries, you put him on the 4th, and he'll log those minutes just fine.

PunkinDrublic*

Gallagher provides energy and pressure.. His offence will go up and down, but he will be effective.. Not worried

To think the opposite would pretty silly of you asked me. Go back and look at his stats people and give your heads a shake please.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

You know, he fills a jersey nicely. He will not help you at all, but won't hurt you either. Just painfully average player.But if you have injuries, you put him on the 4th, and he'll log those minutes just fine.

Third time Blunden clears waivers. Clearly, we're the only team who believes he can fill a jersey.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Third time Blunden clears waivers. Clearly, we're the only team who believes he can fill a jersey.

Nah, it's just that his kind of player is a dime a dozen, everybody has ones like him. To a certain degree you need them for depth. Specifically because they'll clear waivers and you can send them down.

If all the depth you had were guys that had an ability that stood out, another team might want that player because of that ability and claim him. But if he's average like Blunden, you get to keep him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
To think that other teams' retreads are not worth swapping for Blunden. Can his stock be any lower. :sarcasm:

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
Not underestimating his work ethic at all...I agree that he's a hard worker, and that will keep him in the lineup...but he may never be a top 6 forward, as the size/speed dimension are so important for that role despite his determination and character.

Just don't be expecting too much from him this season - I have a feeling it may be a tough one for him as expectations are so high.

This might sound stupid, but if I'd realized you were the original poster then I probably wouldn't have written my response the way I did. You, if anyone on here, would be more familiar with his intangibles than anyone else on here.

I've just been impressed with the way he looks to have improved his balance. Maybe it's the matter of a selective memory, but I'm not too worried about him for next season. However, I also probably don't and never did have as high of expectations as some of the people around here. I'd be thrilled with a ~50 point complementary winger career from him once he hits his prime. In your opinion, is that aiming too high?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Yep. Kind of like the Drewiske of our forward group.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one, but I like Blunden. Nothing interesting happens when he's on the ice, but that also means he's not hurting you. While a guy like Brière hurts the team when playing 5 on 5 (it's not even a knock against Brière, I just mean that offense is not that important even strenght).

Perfect 13th forward. One night Parros, one night Blunden.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net

I'm also a bit worried that Gallagher will be a victim of his own success this year. Not because i think it will get to his head or anything, but mostly because Habs fans will likely expect an even better year out of Gallagher this year when, more realistically, a season where his point totals don't regress should be considered a success.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, but i wouldn't be surprised if Gallagher's rookie season turns out to be more or less the production he puts up over his career. Like you said, he doesn't really have the elite speed to counter balance his underwhelming size, so he has to do that by being a tireless worker around the net. He reminds me alot of Gionta in that respect, and excluding Gionta's 2007 season he was putting up 50-60 point seasons on a fairly regular basis. I think that type of production would be Gallagher's ceiling.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Leblanc isn't playing in tonights Bulldogs game. Trade??!?!?!!!?!? :scared:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Leblanc isn't playing in tonights Bulldogs game. Trade??!?!?!!!?!? :scared:

Any link?

Dan Kramer ‏@DanKramerHabs 36 min
Not a big deal that #Habs Louis Leblanc is out of @BulldogsAHL line-up tonight, given team plays again tomorrow. A night to watch tryouts.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

I said the same thing and a few posters said based on this they wouldn't want to
Hear any other thoughts I might have. Lol

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one, but I like Blunden. Nothing interesting happens when he's on the ice, but that also means he's not hurting you. While a guy like Brière hurts the team when playing 5 on 5 (it's not even a knock against Brière, I just mean that offense is not that important even strenght).

Perfect 13th forward. One night Parros, one night Blunden.

That's a good nickname for him.

Anyway I'm not so sure it's written in stone that Parros will be in and out of the lineup. He may not be the same guy he was a few years ago but Captain Pringles was very much a regular for most of his career. I'm rooting for him, hope he makes it hard to take him out of the lineup.

Granted, Carlysle coached him for much of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad