Habs Could Be Playoff Bound

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping for one of 2 scenarios. We either win the cup (0.01% chance) OR get #1 draft pick (1% chance) :sarcasm:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If every team makes the playoffs in this format, how to the seedings for the draft work?

Let's say we lose to Buffalo and every lower seed to us wins (ie all upsets) would we be seeded with the highest chance of the 1st overall pick?

Could you imagine Detroit winning the one game playoff and then being pushed out of their #1 seed for the draft? lol. I love this idea!

I was thinking of how that would affect the draft as well. No easy solution. All teams make the playoffs (like I posted) and then all teams are in the draft lottery?

Expect the unexpected

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Marc Bergevin is a Genius. He knew this would would so he planned his team to be where they are in the standings. That way if he gets into the playoffs and is eliminated he can say his team is good enough to make it AND we still get a top pick.

Just a genius.

He told you guys Habs would playing hockey near summer time...:sarcasm:

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Watch one of the extra 8 teams win it :laugh:

upload_2020-3-16_10-46-6.jpeg

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
There would be upsets if it was say teams slotted from #17-#24. It likely wouldn't be more than a 1 game sudden death. The winners advance to play the #12-#16 teams? That should also be a 1 game sudden death. From those winners they would go on to face the top tier teams in a best of 7 as normal. Guaranteed there would be upsets and it would definitely reset the pre-lottery draft spots from #8 down. Interesting idea.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
NBA is saying the best case scenario is a mid to late June start. If the NHL goes ahead with the playoffs, there is no way they can allow 24 teams in if they want to finish before August.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Ridiculous.

Not really. Both economies are going to need a huge kickstart at some point, this scenario would do that, and also cheer people the f*** up, which they need. I don't think the fans will be back in droves, they will be hard pressed to gather up , but tv viewing would be off the charts. Unless Sportsnet covers the games

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
NBA is saying the best case scenario is a mid to late June start. If the NHL goes ahead with the playoffs, there is no way they can allow 24 teams in if they want to finish before August.

Well if they make the lower seeded 1 game sudden death games and then maybe best of 3, then best of 5 and the Cup final be best of 7, it could go pretty fast.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If every team makes the playoffs in this format, how to the seedings for the draft work?

Let's say we lose to Buffalo and every lower seed to us wins (ie all upsets) would we be seeded with the highest chance of the 1st overall pick?

Could you imagine Detroit winning the one game playoff and then being pushed out of their #1 seed for the draft? lol. I love this idea!

I think DET does it,s best to lose, personally. They don't have a team to make it deep and losing a best stab at #1 OA or 4th OA pick at worst would be more detrimental than an extra game revenue, if it is two 1-game Face offs before a 4 of 7 series.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

They won't wait that long IMO. The next 2-3 weeks will reveal a lot and they will decide in early April. They have a few weeks to figure out various situations/solutions.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
They won't wait that long IMO. The next 2-3 weeks will reveal a lot and they will decide in early April. They have a few weeks to figure out various situations/solutions.

Just looking for clarification decide what in early April?

They won’t be playing in April for sure.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Well if they make the lower seeded 1 game sudden death games and then maybe best of 3, then best of 5 and the Cup final be best of 7, it could go pretty fast.

It could, but the above with 16 teams can still go a month with the standard day rest between playoff games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just looking for clarification decide what in early April?

They won’t be playing in April for sure.

Next 2-3 weeks will reveal a lot in terms of the spread or control of the spread. They could easily decide to play games with no fans if this gets contained more than what we see today.

There will be no vaccine for at least 6 months to a year. The world is going to have to learn how to manage it in the meantime. We won't be locked down for a year bud

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
They won't decide that for a few weeks yet. NA would have to get like Italy if they cancel the season. Who knows if North America stabilizes or gets worse in the coming weeks.

Both are on a similar trajectory as Italy and both governments have not acted fast enough or put into place the necessary lockdown protocols in order to effectively stabilize the spread.

Things are going to get worse. No chance of them stabilizing or getting better within weeks. Dont let the confirmed data fool you, the number of people with the virus is much higher than what is confirmed.

The CDC gave a recommendation to the NBA today that said the best case scenario to resume league play would be mid to late June. Do you really think the NHLs scenario would be better? It's not happening.

Reactions: CHfan1

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Next 2-3 weeks will reveal a lot in terms of the spread or control of the spread. They could easily decide to play games with no fans if this gets contained more than what we see today.

I doubt it.

first the CDC is recommending no gatherings of 50 or more people for 8 weeks:

and the NBA is looking at June as a best case (no way does the NHL go ahead when the NBA isn’t):

edit: NobleSix beat me to this

Reactions: NobleSix

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Both are on a similar trajectory as Italy and both governments have not acted fast enough or put into place the necessary lockdown protocols in order to effectively stabilize the spread.

Things are going to get worse. No chance of them stabilizing or getting better within weeks. Dont let the confirmed data fool you, the number of people with the virus is much higher than what is confirmed.

The CDC gave a recommendation to the NBA today that said the best case scenario to resume league play would be mid to late June. Do you really think the NHLs scenario would be better? It's not happening.

Where do you draw the line between virus spread management and when the vaccine becomes available in more than a year's time? The world won't be shut down for a year so we will have to learn how to manage it in the meantime. What you see right now is the beginning of the shutdown to stop the spread. This is a moving target and yes, I firmly believe they will know a lot more in 2-3 weeks after people stop traveling and nobody is taking it lightly in that span.

If things get much worse in North America and it ends up like Italy, then we have a huge problem and it's much deeper than sports playing games or not playing. I like to think it won't get to that level cause we are managing it better than China or Europe

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt it.

first the CDC is recommending no gatherings of 50 or more people for 8 weeks:

and the NBA is looking at June as a best case (no way does the NHL go ahead when the NBA isn’t):

edit: NobleSix beat me to this

Playing games with no fans is better than canceling the season. I'm not saying the season is played with fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad