Post-Game Talk: Habs continue to be bad, lose 3-2 in OT vs the Kings

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You didn't see the rebound before as well. That's the point. We can't predict the future. I'm with you man on the sell/tank/rebuild strategy but I just don't think it's as easy as we believe as fans. Even if we have a new GM. It's a lot to sell and players have pride and coaches are paid to be competitive.

It’s likely not as easy as we think to do a full rebuild. But it’s also likely not as hard as you’re making it out to be either. The politics within this franchise are going to bury this team.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It’s likely not as easy as we think to do a full rebuild. But it’s also likely not as hard as you’re making it out to be either. The politics within this franchise are going to bury this team.

If the Toronto Maple Leafs and the New York Rangers can embark on rebuilds, anyone can.

The Leafs have the same center of the universe problem as us and committed.

The Rangers also an original 6 team in an area where you have the Islanders, Devils, Sabres, Knicks, Nets, Jets, Mets, Yankees, and Giants as competing sports teams did it.

The Habs can rebuild. They just don't want to because mild profits mean more than success.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If the Toronto Maple Leafs and the New York Rangers can embark on rebuilds, anyone can.

The Rangers also an original 6 team in an area where you have the Islanders, Devils, Sabres, Knicks, Nets, Jets, Mets, Yankees, and Giants as competing sports teams did it.

The Habs can rebuild. They just don't want to because mild profits mean more than success.

Those teams don’t have the Quebec politics factor strangling them. Yes, Molson is all about the margins, but he’s also about about appeasing to a small but close minded group of the fanbase and media as well.

Reactions: Corson27

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Those teams don’t have the Quebec politics factor strangling them. Yes, Molson is all about the margins, but he’s also about about appeasing to a small but close minded group of the fanbase and media as well.

What Quebec politics influence the decision to rebuild?

I know what politics influence who they hire as coach and GM.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What Quebec politics influence the decision to rebuild?

I know what politics influence who they hire as coach and GM.

Maybe I’m thinking much into it, but a few down years will turn some of the casuals away for awhile and we know how loud some of those casuals can be. Not to mention it will hurt members of the media’s interactions for awhile with less interest in the teams game to game progress. Molson has always seemed to lean to pleasing those people first.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Could have fooled me.

Were going to have to wait and see how the season is finished and what it looks like next year. But make no mistake, the coach and players left are going to try to win and rebound. We have seen it before

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's a business. If they choose to do what we prefer, it's a major decision that affects revenue for more than 5+ years. You may or may not make that decision if you were owner.

Not as hard as I'm making it out to be? I asked before and will ask again. Show us a past example where a team sold contract terms like that and the amount we have? And how many years it took? Not saying it's not out there but it would at least support your narrative if you can find it

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
I've talked about those things in other posts.

* Guys like Price, Petry, and Gallagher will require retention. I'd go up as high as $8M for all of them combined and that lasts for about 3-5 years... years we don't need cap space if we are rebuilding.

* Guys like Toffoli, Chiarot, Hoffman, Eddy, Drouin, Armia can be moved yes. Some get more futures value than other yes.

How long does this take and does whatever we still have after this season end up pushing us to 10-15 range 1sts? This is what is on my mind in the sell/tank/rebuild narrative. The terms of contracts are already in place. It's easier said than done to sell all of those assets in a short span. It takes a while which could delay the process.

I don't think some fans are realizing the actual context at play if we choose to fully go rebuild mode. Not saying I don't agree with a rebuild either. I'm saying it's not as easy as some think it is.

Kings just went through a similar rebuild. Haven't made the playoffs since 2018, so it takes about 3 years.

Also, you wouldn't trade all your players at once as you mentioned. You do it over time.

Our biggest trade chip was Muzzin. He netted Toby Bjornfot (1st Rd), Trevor Moore, and Gunnstrom, all of who you saw last night. (Toby got turnstiled by Evans on the goal, but has been lights out otherwise holding down the fort with Anderson while Doughty is out and assisted on the Lemieux goal).

Toffoli, Pearson, Alec Marinez, Kyle Clifford, Jack Campbell, Derek Forbort, Jeff Carter were shipped out over ~2 years.

Obviously, the key is hitting on draft choices. Mikey Anderson was a 4th rd draft choice and has one of the highest WAR on the team. Bjornfot, Clague (2nd), and Roy (7th) anchor the D corp with Doughty out. We somehow signed Iaffallo as a FA out of college. Kempe (1st), Kupari (1st), and Kaliyev (2nd) were home grown your players in last nights lineup as well.

1) Sell off moderately useful parts over time
2) Draft well
3) Wait 3 years

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Not accurate.

One of those penalties was a co-incidental minor with Lemieux. Immediately after that ended and after some serious screaming from Lemieux in the box, Pezzetta tries to force the issue while Lemieux acts like his old man. Pezzetta gives him a weak shove, Lemieux goes down like he was shot, and the refs buy his act. Mike Johnson called it a “worse dive than the first penalty” Lemieux also got for diving. Brendan Gallagher went down to the end of the bench and verbally abused Lemieux after it was over. Should have been offsetting minors again. This woke the Habs up though, and they played much better after killing off the penalty.

Stop embellishing it. He got three useless penalties in five minutes of play.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Maybe I’m thinking much into it, but a few down years will turn some of the casuals away for awhile and we know how loud some of those casuals can be. Not to mention it will hurt members of the media’s interactions for awhile with less interest in the teams game to game progress. Molson has always seemed to lean to pleasing those people first.

But that exists everywhere, especially in smaller markets but they still rebuild - like I said, look at the Rangers where they have to compete with 3 other NHL teams, let alone the bevvy of MLB, NBA and NFL teams.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Watched 2 minutes of last game, enough to see Evans goal.

Perfect evening for me!

35ab6e28-3b74-4448-acb6-7970d457de1a_text.gif

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
The lines are difficult to put together because so many have major flaws.

Anderson and Hoffman are defensive black holes - completely lost most of the time. Both are also extremely streaky

Gallagher is broken and lacks vision and shot- his skating is also deteriorating

Dvorak has limited creativity and is merely average to good defensively. Strong on faceoffs tho

Toffoli looks to have lost yet another step.

Reactions: angusyoung

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Sorry, not sure I follow. I can see where maybe dead last has less of a chance of #1 than 4th and 5th combined. So if we had the 4th and 5th picks, then sure, we may have a better chance. If we only have one of the 4th or 5th, I’m not sure how this works.

In fairness, statistics wasn’t my thing back in school, but finishing 2nd or 3rd should be better odds than 4th or 5th. However, the odds of 4th and 5th I understand would be better than 2nd or 3rd.
If tsn a while back made it right , you have less change losing ur top 3 pick in the top 3 than 4-5th unless tsn was wrong

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Nice goal by Evans yes but then he got out of position and gave a free lane to the net in OT. Pains of the maturity of growth with Evans and others.
Yeah he played a bit worse after scoring the goal - I think he was a bit stunned he could do that. But that type of 1-on-1 situation only really happens in OT, so I'm not going to let it overshadow all the positives from Evans last night, which were quite a few.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

If the Rags rookies live up to 3/4’s of their billing? They are going to be spooky as hell. Good for them!

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Both NYR and Leafs arena capacities never drop below 95% even at the worst of times with 100% luxury box capacity at highest rates in the NHL - I.e top line revenue keeps flowing in even during rebuild, such is not the case for Mtl market.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
The argument of whether or not we can tank is kinda moot because we're clearly doing it anyway, so we may as well do it properly.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I think this whole business about how the Habs can never do a rebuild because of the media and politics is kinda overblown. Will some people be upset? Probably. No one wants to see the team suck. Meanwhile, the team is sucking.

I think the real reason we don't ever rebuild is because (and this was going on before Molson as well) is that - not unlike the Leafs - there is a fan base that will pay good money to see this team play year in and out, and as long as we make the playoffs more years than not it is money in the bank.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Both NYR and Leafs arena capacities never drop below 95% even at the worst of times with 100% luxury box capacity at highest rates in the NHL - I.e top line revenue keeps flowing in even during rebuild, such is not the case for Mtl market.

Are ticket holders in Montreal that dumb that they're currently willing to pay good money to go see this trash team with no direction or chance to win whatsoever but if Molson was to announce a rebuild tomorrow then it wouldn't be okay anymore? They'd get to throw their money down the drain watching the same shitty product but at least there would be a clear plan to go with it, what's not to like lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad