Habs comeback and win 4-3 in SO V.S. Fleyrs

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Confidence is one of the biggest factors. What I have seen so far is a REAL change in the Habs. Not yet a POWER HOUSE team BUT, for the first time in YEARS I have seen the Habs dominate the other team 3-4 -5 shifts in a row. WOW, I have not seen this in years. It's great for the Habs confidence but even better it MUST shake the hell out of the opposing coach and the other team. It puts the opposition right on their heels and just completely changes momentum of the game. Yes I know, it has happened only once or twice per game for the last 3 games BUY I have not seen this in years.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm not saying he's sucking or that he's slow, but his line isn't establishing the energy at the start of games that the team needs from its fourth line..nobody plays with more speed/energy than Bournival IMO...and he needs to get in the lineup at some point. Save Weise for the more physical teams..Tampa isn't one of them.

Or maybe we can rotate Prust, Weise & Bournival. I'd like to protect Prust a little during the regular season. I want a healthy Prusty for the playoffs - not one held together with gauze & tape.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Missed the 1st two periods...turned on the tube and we were down 3-0 and then in the 3rd we looked like the 76 Habs...wow what a period and finish...:handclap:

Lucky you didn't have to endure the first two periods where the Habs looked the the 2003 version.:shakehead

Can someone please fix this 0-10 power play that is going to burn us soon.

Need someone in the center of the defensive box with soft hands ....Glachenyuk!:handclap:

another option or at least someone that teams need to think about

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Precisely why we should move him to center. Not to mention he would have the puck even more often.
Precisely why we SHOULDN'T move him to center. Right now he's playing with no strings attached and doesn't have to worry about if someone's going to be there to cover his ass (Pleks is there). He's going to grow his offensive game so much more as a LWer than he would as a C, in my non-professional opinion.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I think that's a decent explanation. But it seems so weird that the reaction to his play would be so sudden and sharp, when I don't remember him doing anything absolutely terrible. It's like Bouillon is there in his place.

Getting out of our zone was a problem last year, people. Gilbert helps it both directly and indirectly. It was a solid move.

Gilbert has been a breath of fresh air on our blue line so far. Don't know what some people are complaining about. He can actually support the offense rather than Josh (cycle killer) Gorges. We can thank him for those extended shifts in the opponents zone in the third period yesterday.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I think that's a decent explanation. But it seems so weird that the reaction to his play would be so sudden and sharp, when I don't remember him doing anything absolutely terrible. It's like Bouillon is there in his place.

Getting out of our zone was a problem last year, people. Gilbert helps it both directly and indirectly. It was a solid move.

He's a bit of a wuss and hence coughs the puck up at times when pressured physically, sort like Diaz. But his offense is a huge upgrade from Gorges and Bou Bou, and Gilbert's flaws are minor to Bouillon, who manages to give a goal right back to the opponent when he does score in a game.

ThePriceIsRight44

Feb 6, 2014
I think PK has a had a fairly bad start to the season, but I honestly feel people are a bit hard on him if he is compared to Patches this year I don't even think its close who has looked worst. I love patches but when he goes through his phases of not skating and shooting he is easily our worst player. Man its irritating to watch him mope around. Hit something you ****in softy!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Gilbert has been a breath of fresh air on our blue line so far. Don't know what some people are complaining about. He can actually support the offense rather than Josh (cycle killer) Gorges. We can thank him for those extended shifts in the opponents zone in the third period yesterday.

We have huge systemic issues this side of center ice.
Our players are continually caught on the wrong side of the puck and the opposition.
Until we rid ourselves of this Dswarm crud and work on better positional play we won't be out-classing anybody. Our breakouts are often better when we are a man down. :help:

Our PP is in denial...
Stop rewarding the wrong players.
Give someone Besides Brendan a direct order to take the front of the net.
Wake up coaching staff...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

It's a good opportunity to see who doesn't know their hockey.

So far Gilbert averages 23 min/game and is a +1, and we've won 3 games in a row on the road. If Gilbert sucked like people say he does, the coaches wouldn't play him this much.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Gilbert is going to get the Diaz treatment. Hockey fans operate on an "Offensive vs Defensive" defenseman binary. Gilbert is a "puck mover" who won't put up a ton of points but is strong positionally and consistently moves the puck up the ice.

It was the same thing with Diaz, solid positional player who more often than not was moving the puck forward. But because he was an "OFD" who didn't put up points, fans hated him.

On the contrary, Diaz was one of the most overrated players of the past several years here. He hasn't been able to consistently make an NHL lineup since he left. Gilbert > Diaz.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's a good opportunity to see who doesn't know their hockey.

So far Gilbert averages 23 min/game and is a +1, and we've won 3 games in a row on the road. If Gilbert sucked like people say he does, the coaches wouldn't play him this much.

Well plenty of fans only see a small slice of what is really going on out there.
PGT is always very revealing...:laugh::naughty:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You can see why the management team was cautious giving Subban the captaincy with the new contract.

Subban is trying to do too much more than the normal too much that he tries to do. Case and point, delayed PP, Subban has the puck at the point and does a between the legs deke with no one on him and fumbles the puck off side.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
On the contrary, Diaz was one of the most overrated players of the past several years here. He hasn't been able to consistently make an NHL lineup since he left. Gilbert > Diaz.

Those Swiss guys were all hugely over rated we were "punked" after Streit.

ThePriceIsRight44

Feb 6, 2014
You can see why the management team was cautious giving Subban the captaincy with the new contract.

Subban is trying to do too much more than the normal too much that he tries to do. Case and point, delayed PP, Subban has the puck at the point and does a between the legs deke with no one on him and fumbles the puck off side.

Not to rag on you because I agree with a lot of your posts but. I'd rather PK fail for trying to do too much than see patches be completely invisible so far for not trying anything at all.

Ill stop with patches bashing now but its truly painful to watch him play the game when he's not skating or involved.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Impressive comeback. Plekanec looks like a completely different player. He's on pace for 123 G still I think. Can he do it?

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
We have huge systemic issues this side of center ice.
Our players are continually caught on the wrong side of the puck and the opposition.
Until we rid ourselves of this Dswarm crud and work on better positional play we won't be out-classing anybody. Our breakouts are often better when we are a man down. :help:

Our PP is in denial...
Stop rewarding the wrong players.
Give someone Besides Brendan a direct order to take the front of the net.
Wake up coaching staff...

Once again, they just played 3 games in 4 nights in 3 different cities. They haven't had a real practice yet.

You want them to practice the PP on the plane?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not to rag on you because I agree with a lot of your posts but. I'd rather PK fail for trying to do too much than see patches be completely invisible so far for not trying anything at all.

Ill stop with patches bashing now but its truly painful to watch him play the game when he's not skating or involved.

I got no problems with being imaginative and I know PK will be fine but I still think he's going out there thinking he has to justify his contract instead of just playing his game.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Has anyone ever questioned why Patch does that?
He does it in the same types of games and it is constant not half-hazard.
The teams who can force his line to the boards win that battle every time.
Max himself isn't a great "boards" player and both DD and Galagher are easy to neutralize along the boards. Brendan to a lesser degree but he can still be contained.
In essence Max packs it in. It is evident to the entire building when he does so.
It is up to the coaching staff to find him another niche when this occurs.
There is no reason for him to coast. :shakehead

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Patches and PK won't be on every game, guys.

We know what we are getting with both of them, we've all watched their whole careers up to this point. It's only three games don't get all up in a huff about it yet.

Gilbert has been a rock solid acquisition and I've been saying that since day one. Beaulieu has been solid on the back end thus far and Tinordi looked good last night too. P-A Parenteau has also been a huge positive so far as well in my opinion, not very fast but he is a very smart player and has great hands and an underrated shot. He can play.

It's a beautiful thing to see Plekanec with talent line mates for a change too, he's proving that his 70pt campaigns of the past were most definitely not a fluke. It's nice to see the coaching staff using him in a more offensive role because he has been underrated offensively for quite some time now.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Once again, they just played 3 games in 4 nights in 3 different cities. They haven't had a real practice yet.

You want them to practice the PP on the plane?

Start with the proper ingredients...
If you want to highlight something don't leave out the essentials...:help:
13% now less since Dec 2013...
The issues have gone beyond practice...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad