Habs comeback and win 4-3 in SO V.S. Fleyrs

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Markov is looking so good.

Totally agree but Therrien will need to rest him at times especially in the second half to keep him relatively fresh for the playoffs.

For the first time in years he may have the luxury of depth in our defense to rest him 10 games throughout the season

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
No wonder you think we currently have a better team, you just created the worst possible set up if we were to move Galy to center. Eller does not play wing. It's been tried on more than one occasion and it's failed.
Also, it makes no sense to give Eller's minutes to Galy. It's not the role you would want to give him. DD is the one that has the go-to offensive role. If Galy is moved at center, it's not to become a 2 way center who can help out in defensive assignments. It's to let him lead the offense. It's to give him the most offensive and favorable minutes and wingers to produce.

It would be pretty freaking stupid not to pair him up with Max if we moved him to center. I mean, you'd keep DD on the 1st trio with our best winger, give Galy guys who have a reputation for inconsistency, and turn Plek into a 3rd line center?? This makes zero sense, and it's obvious that it's driven by your bias towards DD.
Yeah... no.

It's not driven by any bias. Pacioretty and Desharnais aren't be split up anytime soon. That's not my preference... it's the coach.

Plekanec wouldn't be third line center, I just put it there because that's the defensive line. Obviously his line would get the most minutes (still) but he'd be relegated to playing defensively again.

I think maybe it's YOUR bias towards Eller that makes you think he'd keep his spot, despite clearly being behind Desharnais and Plekanec on Therrien's depth chart. Yeah, sure Eller isn't a good winger -- but DD and Plek aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

You can spin this anyway you want - but the fact of the matter is, this team already lacks wing depth and we are a much, much, MUCH better team with Galchenyuk at LW.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Wasn't on here last night, I spent Saturday visiting my old home town, went to take a look at the New Colisee and spent the night at the Hilton Quebec, which is the last time I stay over there, back to the Bonne Entente next time....

Anyways, we were having our diner at the Hilton's restaurant and the game was on, and me and my gf started watching when it was 2-0 and we saw it become 3-0 and she was like "Well, the game's done, no need to watch it back in the room, we'll rent a movie.."

And that's when I introduced her to Habs mysticism and to the various stories of miraculous happenings after I prayed to the Rocket. I told her that this **** was real and that it could be happening right there and then. So I did it, I asked Rocket for help, looking at Old Quebec City from the 17th floor of the Hilton, I asked him to help the Habs find victory, to make a believer out of my gf and to soothe the wounded spirits of his people by letting the Habs win.

Then they scored 1. She laughed. They scored another one. She stopped laughing. And then she ridiculed it all when they didn't score again right away, feeling quite secure in her infidel ways. And then it happened. And then they won.

Now, I think she's actually scared of me.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't think it was that he played too much, I think it's more about how we used him and how he constantly had to compensate offensively for his wingers.
I've argued about this for a while now and told maybe Plek doubters that he'd be back to his 60-70pt ways the moment we gave him good wingers and less hard minutes.

But he's still getting used a lot. He played over 20min in the last two games. It's just 3games though, so we'll see.

The quality of the wingers definitely has something to do with the total production of Plekanec in a season.

Kudos to Plekanec for being a minimum 50-pt getter regardless who was playing with him or how often those wingers were switched around on him.

I believe that Plekanec concentrates too much on the defensive side of his game when saddled with inferior wingers. I think he actually gets satisfaction from the defensive side of his game and will settle in those situations.

The fact that Malhotra can play some BIG defensive minutes in Plekanec's stead would likely help keep Plekanec fresher come playoff time. However, the 20+ minutes a game he is getting doesn't reflect a lesser work load for Plekanec, despite Malhotra being in the lineup...

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Wasn't on here last night, I spent Saturday visiting my old home town, went to take a look at the New Colisee and spent the night at the Hilton Quebec, which is the last time I stay over there, back to the Bonne Entente next time....

Anyways, we were having our diner at the Hilton's restaurant and the game was on, and me and my gf started watching when it was 2-0 and we saw it become 3-0 and she was like "Well, the game's done, no need to watch it back in the room, we'll rent a movie.."

And that's when I introduced her to Habs mysticism and to the various stories of miraculous happenings after I prayed to the Rocket. I told her that this **** was real and that it could be happening right there and then. So I did it, I asked Rocket for help, looking at Old Quebec City from the 17th floor of the Hilton, I asked him to help the Habs find victory, to make a believer out of my gf and to soothe the wounded spirits of his people by letting the Habs win.

Then they scored 1. She laughed. They scored another one. She stopped laughing. And then she ridiculed it all when they didn't score again right away, feeling quite secure in her infidel ways. And then it happened. And then they won.

Awesome :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah... no.

It's not driven by any bias. Pacioretty and Desharnais aren't be split up anytime soon. That's not my preference... it's the coach.
I'm not discussing what the coach prefers or will do. Galy will remain on the wings until we start losing with struggling centers, or injuries. We were discussing where and how Galy would flourish more.

Plekanec wouldn't be third line center, I just put it there because that's the defensive line. Obviously his line would get the most minutes (still) but he'd be relegated to playing defensively again.
The reason he got massive defensive duties last year is because we let go of Halpern and opted to go with a crappy 4th line. Having MM changes that. Plekanec could easily be given other wingers. There's no need to have him in this incredibly high defensive role again.

I think maybe it's YOUR bias towards Eller that makes you think he'd keep his spot, despite clearly being behind Desharnais and Plekanec on Therrien's depth chart. Yeah, sure Eller isn't a good winger -- but DD and Plek aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
What bias? You admitted yourself Eller isn't a good winger. Maybe it's because of that and not some fabricated bias?
It's not about who's behind who. Manny is behind all of these guys, shall we move him to the wing then? It's about the role each center has and which one has a similar role to Galy.
The answer is obvious.

You can spin this anyway you want - but the fact of the matter is, this team already lacks wing depth and we are a much, much, MUCH better team with Galchenyuk at LW.

Not spinning it in any way. Galy as a center would be used like DD is. So who to move out of the center position to put Galy there is obvious.
We don't lack winger depth, we have Max-Gallagher-PAP-Bourque-Sekac-Galch. Removing Galch for DD wouldn't make our wings stronger, but it could potentially give us an insane top line to compensate for it.

Also, we really have no idea if we're a better team.

habsfantoronto

Ducks GM
Oct 5, 2006

I've had a really tough week and this brought a laugh out of me and a single tear. Thank you.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
He always does at the start. I don't understand why Therrien insists on giving him equal TOI to Subban. Markov will wear down by the end of the year at this rate. He's not a 26 and a half minute player anymore.

Because if he didn't we would have lost the game... and people will ***** on Therrien even more.

With the way Subban has played, Markov deserves more ice time. He's the reason why came back yesterday (supported by Pleky and Chucky).

When PK gets his head out of his ass, then you started playing Markov 21-22 minutes.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Markov wants to win so bad sometimes. When he takes over a game it's something special to see. Subban has it. Pleks on rare occasion. Pax needs to do it more. Could do it more.

The impact Beaulieu and Tinordi could have on the overall team, even if they're making mistakes and getting benched regularly for a year or two, seems to be pretty major. When was the last time we had that kind size and mobility and puck-moving (beaulieu) and people-moving (tinordi) skill on our back end?

I'm ready for a bumpy road. The PP in particular makes me worry about some aspects of the coaching. In particular that aspect of the coaching. But damn team has depth and character and a balance of youth and experience.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Because if he didn't we would have lost the game... and people will ***** on Therrien even more.

With the way Subban has played, Markov deserves more ice time. He's the reason why came back yesterday (supported by Pleky and Chucky).

When PK gets his head out of his ass, then you started playing Markov 21-22 minutes.

Also, with a seasoned Beaulieu, a more confident Tinordi and a healthy Emelin, Habs can afford to pace Markov a bit better. The fact remains his fatigue shows by April.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Yeah... no.

Hmmm, Eller's line has been dominant, who ever his wingers was (and considering his no preseason). And Parenteau seems to be working well but not with DD. 2 years and still looking to find a RW for him. Gallagher is out of place on this line and makes them the smallest line in the whole NHL.

Scoring chances so far this season:
Plekanec and Galhenyuk: 8 for and 3 against
Eller: 8 for and 5 against
Desharnais: 6 for and 6 against

Therrien might want this right now, be he wasn't really patient with Parenteau....and he was the one getting boost up by changing lines.

So far, it's all Plek's line.....Thanks to them we're not 0-3 this season. Thanks to them, we don't talk too much about our first line not producing and starting to loose their jobs to Galchy and Plek. Therrien , Bergevin and everybody knows this. Let's hope those homes games will help.....

Before making any future line-up.....might wanna wait and see if DD-Pac are still our first line in 2 weeks.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Except that has never been the case and never will under Therrien. Even in his Norris season Subban had less icetime than Markov.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

That's a good argument from a coach's perspective, but it's still in the short-term. If we play Markov too much, we're gonna lose his efficiency somewhere come March or April. And that's worse than losing a few games in October because our younger guys require a little time to get in game shape with the cerebral aspects - reaction time, decision making etc.

I can live with a few mistakes by Subban or Beaulieu/Tinordi in October, they're gonna be fine come April. All I want is to see a more rested Markov play with them in the post-season. Who cares where we're seeded, we're gonna make it anyways.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Beaulieu and Tinordi both can make bone head plays but you can really see the upside of their games. Hopefully Habs can manage to develop both.

DoctorPurple

Jun 9, 2014
Montreal, Canada

That story is awesome.

Also, when you said ''old town'', didn't expect you to be talking about Quebec City :laugh:

Analyzer*

Markov wants to win so bad sometimes. When he takes over a game it's something special to see. Subban has it. Pleks on rare occasion. Pax needs to do it more. Could do it more.

Last year, our 2-1 OT winner against Chicago. Plekanec took over that game and played phenomenal.

DoctorPurple

Jun 9, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I agree with all those people talking about resting Markov.

I didn't forget who was on the ice when Dominic Moore scored the lone goal in Game 6 of the Rangers-Canadiens Conference Final Series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad