Confirmed with Link: Habs Claim Sam Montembeault from the Panthers

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
if he's our number 2 for like half the season i would say it'S a very weak number 2 to a very questionable number 1 in Allen. All this behind what looks like a bad defense.
On the flip side, we could end up with a top pick at the draft held in Montreal.

Reactions: cphabs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
if he's our number 2 for like half the season i would say it'S a very weak number 2 to a very questionable number 1 in Allen. All this behind what looks like a bad defense.

waiver claim was clearly done with knowledge that Price would be out far past opening day... gotta wonder if it's a Drouin-esque timeline (i.e months).

Allen/Montembeault gives us a bottom-10 goalie duo... taking our one clear position of strength and turning it also into a liability. and so it goes...

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
In his last NHL stint, He allowed 11 goals above expected in 12 games…a full goal more per game that he should have allowed.

Outgoalied by nonames in the AHL. What did they see in him?
They probably saw a body to have and maybe some technical details to iron out. Goalies are a wild bunch so if they feel like adjustments can be made to his game so be it. At worst we just waive him again.

Reactions: KKforprez

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
waiver claim was clearly done with knowledge that Price would be out far past opening day... gotta wonder if it's a Drouin-esque timeline (i.e months).

Allen/Montembeault gives us a bottom-10 goalie duo... taking our one clear position of strength and turning it also into a liability. and so it goes...

If it's substance abuse usually rehab takes at least 3 months.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Guessing this makes much more sense today...

whether they knew Carey would be in the program or not, they had to have a goalie in the system in case Price or Allen went down, as it doesn't make sense to throw Primeau to the wolves if he's not ready.

Reactions: donghabs98

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
whether they knew Carey would be in the program or not, they had to have a goalie in the system in case Price or Allen went down, as it doesn't make sense to throw Primeau to the wolves if he's not ready.
Which I think is needed for Primeau. He didnt look too ready last season and could use more seasoning in the minors which is totally fine since we dont need him yet to be starter.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It doesn’t sound like substance at all. Sounds like depression and burnout similar to drouin

I hope that's the case. Some people in the NBA criticized Kawhi Leonard's "load management." He ended up taking us (the Raptors) to a championship utilizing it. All preaseson, we've heard people like Aaron Ward talk about how it is difficult for the next season to have a shortened summer after a cup run, and it must be even more difficult with this past already shortened offseason. So if Carey can use time at the start of the year to rejuvenate, all the better.

But I suspect this is more serious and he may not be back for a while. Having said that I don't want to speculate without enough knowledge of the facts. Really I fear he'll be out longer.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I hope that's the case. Some people in the NBA criticized Kawhi Leonard's "load management." He ended up taking us (the Raptors) to a championship utilizing it. All preaseson, we've heard people like Aaron Ward talk about how it is difficult for the next season to have a shortened summer after a cup run, and it must be even more difficult with this past already shortened offseason. So if Carey can use time at the start of the year to rejuvenate, all the better.

But I suspect this is more serious and he may not be back for a while. Having said that I don't want to speculate without enough knowledge of the facts. Really I fear he'll be out longer.
I won't speculate on what Price is going through but I will say that he is definitely deserving of taking all the time he needs after all he has had to deal with while being a Hab and all he has done for the team.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
A nice picture of him when he was around 15 yrs old.

montembault.jpg

edit : I posted a pic of Sam Montembeault when obviously the whole thread turned into a Carey Price thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This isn't the time to ice an inferior product.
Bring Primeau up for the weekend and play him one game. It is obvious that SM is not an NHL goalie.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Might as well play Montembeault more at this point and let Allen keep his health and confidence for next year. Or bring up Primeau and play him.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Aside from the Buffalo game, Montembeault hasn't looked that bad. He kept us in the Anaheim game until the breakaway was given, plus the breakaway was against Terry who's been one of the hottest players in the league.

At this point, let Primeau play lots of minutes in the AHL to gain experience and build confidence. It doesn't make sense to keep yo-yoing him back in forth.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Gonna suck with him starting with Allen possibly out for concussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad