Confirmed with Link: Habs Claim Sam Montembeault from the Panthers

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Agree, but McNiven has bigger potential than Montembault. McNiven would lose his time as backup watching games in the NHL
I don't agree on that, McNiven has not even show that he can be a #1 in the AHL. At this point, I don't really see any potential in McNiven. Montembault at least can be a #3 that can help as #2 for a certain period of time.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Where does he go when Price comes back?

Trois-Rivières or we trade McNiven?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Presumably Laval and then McNiven down to ECHL.

McNiven would need to accept to go to 3R. I also thought that they could just send him there because he doesn't have any NMC, but thanks to @BaseballCoach allCoach and @Treb, I learned that if you're not on an ELC, you need to accept to be sent to the ECHL.

McNiven could end up accepting to go there. But they can't just send him there.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
McNiven would need to accept to go to 3R. I also thought that they could just send him there because he doesn't have any NMC, but thanks to @BaseballCoach allCoach and @Treb, I learned that if you're not on an ELC, you need to accept to be sent to the ECHL.

McNiven could end up accepting to go there. But they can't just send him there.
He could request a trade too I suppose. I like him, but if Monty shows he can be the better of the 2, then keep him and let him push Primeau. I only watched the first 2 periods, but I wouldn't fault him for last night. I thought he looked pretty controlled with his movements.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He could request a trade too I suppose. I like him, but if Monty shows he can be the better of the 2, then keep him and let him push Primeau. I only watched the first 2 periods, but I wouldn't fault him for last night. I thought he looked pretty controlled with his movements.

Despite the 6 goals against, Montembeault was a positive last night.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Never really liked him, even when he played for the Armada.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where does he go when Price comes back?

Trois-Rivières or we trade McNiven?

What all those goalies do (except for Allen), will decide what options we consider. They will not be rushing Price back so it might be Nov 1st by the time he is ready to start games (or more). A lot of games will be played from now till then so inner competition a good thing. Their performances during that span will help us make our choices and what options they think fits best for each depth goalie we have.

Jul 6, 2016
Danny Dubé finds that Montembault is playing "small" for a guy of his size, and that he is too deep in his net.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Both Primeau and McNivens are better than Montembeault. That was an useless claiming.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Who would trade for him ? Every teams have already 1-2 McNiven in there systems

Reactions: Sagikev

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I fail to see how he can be better than Primeau.

Ideally, he won't as it would mean Primeau sucks.

He played decently despite the 6 goals allowed and especially the team not showing up in front of him, but Montembault is a simple stop-gap, I guess a desperate team will claim him (like we were, I guess) when we'll put him back on waivers once Price is back.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I rather like to have montembault being 2nd goalie sit on the bench and primeau playing 1st goalie to Laval.

Short term, I would have no prob to give Primeau 1 game per week in the NHL until Price is back.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
In his last NHL stint, He allowed 11 goals above expected in 12 games…a full goal more per game that he should have allowed.

Outgoalied by nonames in the AHL. What did they see in him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad