Confirmed with Link: Habs claim Kovacevic off waivers

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He absolutely has been the best after Guhle. And I don't think there's that big of a difference between them
Not even close.....he is nothing more than a stop gap to bridge the team to his replacement. Low IQ player who is likely a 6th 7th D on most teams and in the AHL with deeper teams. Guhle is miles ahead of him and all of Xhekaj, Harris and Barron have reached much higher peaks than Kovacevic has. His best games are just okay and everything else is not good.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Not even close.....he is nothing more than a stop gap to bridge the team to his replacement. Low IQ player who is likely a 6th 7th D on most teams and in the AHL with deeper teams. Guhle is miles ahead of him and all of Xhekaj, Harris and Barron have reached much higher peaks than Kovacevic has. His best games are just okay and everything else is not good.

They're talking about Harris btw. Anywho Kovacevic is a solid young bottom pairing RD, a rare commodity in the NHL and on a great contract.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
They're talking about Harris btw. Anywho Kovacevic is a solid young bottom pairing RD, a rare commodity in the NHL and on a great contract.

Serves me right for not reading all of the posts before running my mouth lol. Would be nice if posters could stay on point though....

I wouldn't go as far as calling Kovacevic solid as he is a bubble player on many teams and some where he would not be in the NHL. He is not terrible but he will be 26 in July and unless something really clicks he is very close to a finished product imo. I liked the waiver claim as he has some solid tools but in the end he will likely be quite forgettable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Serves me right for not reading all of the posts before running my mouth lol. Would be nice if posters could stay on point though....

I wouldn't go as far as calling Kovacevic solid as he is a bubble player on many teams and some where he would not be in the NHL. He is not terrible but he will be 26 in July and unless something really clicks he is very close to a finished product imo. I liked the waiver claim as he has some solid tools but in the end he will likely be quite forgettable.
every team needs to carry a bubble d-man. In terms of #7 he's about as good you can get. Solid, reliable.

If I am contender, I'd be happy to have this type of d-man step in for an injury.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
I'm pretty sure Kovacevic has his own player thread that is not the waiver pick confirmation.

For the anxious lurkers like myself who open the forum on their phone every 5 mn to check for the "confirmed with link" tag, please stop bringing this thread up 🙏 🥴

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
He is a slow processor but he has good ideas in his mind. Good depth guy to have and he has nice size also.

Reactions: Redux91

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
every team needs to carry a bubble d-man. In terms of #7 he's about as good you can get. Solid, reliable.

If I am contender, I'd be happy to have this type of d-man step in for an injury.
Agreed...any team looking to make a deep run, needs to have 8 if not 9 NHL quality Dmen available on their depth chart

Reactions: Redux91

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed...any team looking to make a deep run, needs to have 8 if not 9 NHL quality Dmen available on their depth chart

I wonder if Hughes would take a 3rd round pick for him if offered. We have a lot of D on the roster for next year, and even more in the system. But not a lot of RHD's.

Reactions: 417

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I wonder if Hughes would take a 3rd round pick for him if offered. We have a lot of D on the roster for next year, and even more in the system. But not a lot of RHD's.

No way IMO. We have a 3rd and 3 4ths this year. Do we really need another 3rd round pick instead of a 6'4" RHD who's only in his first NHL season and has two years remaining at a $766k cap hit? Let someone else beat him out for his spot and then look to move him if that's how things play out.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No way IMO. We have a 3rd and 3 4ths this year. Do we really need another 3rd round pick instead of a 6'4" RHD who's only in his first NHL season and has two years remaining at a $766k cap hit? Let someone else beat him out for his spot and then look to move him if that's how things play out.

We only need picks in rounds 1 and 2.. the only acceptable accumulation picks of lower than that is selling off shitters like Drouin.

Reactions: rahad and lamp9post

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Good player. People have trouble analyzing what a depth d-man actually is. Even a 5th-6th d-man. They ALL make mistakes. They are not perfect. If they would, they'd be top 4. Kovacevic is perfect as bottom 2 or at worst No7.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

He gets shoved all over the ice and never responds. There will be a scrum in front of the net and he takes the high road. He just isn't that type of a player, neither is Armia, and for big men they play really soft. I don' think I'm off base with that assesment

Reactions: Habs13

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He gets shoved all over the ice and never responds. There will be a scrum in front of the net and he takes the high road. He just isn't that type of a player, neither is Armia, and for big men they play really soft. I don' think I'm off base with that assesment
I agree -he's incredibly soft for his size. He's a #6/#7 dman with very little potential remaining.

Reactions: MasterD and Habs

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
64gp so far and he found a way to be +4

impressed.gif

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
He does not have the resume of other, he came in late. He does not look good on the ice with his large stance, he does not look like an hockey player. He is big, but is not really physical, he is not mobile enough if he wants to be a top 4.

However, despite the last few games, he has been really good if you watched him a bit more. He is a possession type of defenseman. He is always looking for a good breakout pass, he keeps the puck in play versus an Edmundson who is dumping everytimes or shot it in the window.

He is the best defender on the team for CF%, FF%, 3rd best for SF%, the best for the expected goal differencial when he is on the ice, scoring chance, etc.

His contract is also really nice. No way this guy goes anywhere. He will be a steady 3rd pairing guy if he remains like that. It is written Chris Boucher all over his head for the claim and Stephane Robidas for the development all season long.

1678891963967.png

SupRocket

Jul 12, 2022
He does not have the resume of other, he came in late. He does not look good on the ice with his large stance, he does not look like an hockey player. He is big, but is not really physical, he is not mobile enough if he wants to be a top 4.

However, despite the last few games, he has been really good if you watched him a bit more. He is a possession type of defenseman. He is always looking for a good breakout pass, he keeps the puck in play versus an Edmundson who is dumping everytimes or shot it in the window.

He is the best defender on the team for CF%, FF%, 3rd best for SF%, the best for the expected goal differencial when he is on the ice, scoring chance, etc.

His contract is also really nice. No way this guy goes anywhere. He will be a steady 3rd pairing guy if he remains like that. It is written Chris Boucher all over his head for the claim and Stephane Robidas for the development all season long.

View attachment 669451
Just from the eye test, he seems to be attempting more things with the puck, especially in transition. He has a good flair to sneak in an offensive position from the blue line, but isn't doing much with it. He had good scoring numbers in the AHL too. It's going to be interesting to see him play next season with a full year with our development staff and a training camp. May be they can tap into something more than a 3rd pair defensive D.

Reactions: Wats and Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad