Habs can't lose, beat Detroit 2-1

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Wow... what a waste of typing. Exactly what I was saying fella, congrats. :clap:

700 pts does not equal inept is what you said. Wrong. Legwand as an offensive center, is indeed inept. No on in their right mind would look at a first line center, see 48 points in 82 games, and call that great except for you.

Whereas, Malkin has more points than games played, a true testament to his offensive skill level.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
On the first line, ~50 point centers are skewered, and rightfully so, as their numbers would be lower if not given such icetime and favorable situations. DD is a worse player than Legwand. Smaller, not an inkling of PK responsibilities, and probably slower as well. Legwand can play in his own end. DD is not Briere bad, but the staff sure ain't counting on him to play defense, even though they should.

But... Why should they use DD on defense ?

And again, who do you put as our top line center ? Galchenyuk ?

Really the team wins games and Gally is arguably the best LW right now, why create a hole at LW when another center is uneeded.

Also, the expendable center is more and more becoming Eller as DD is clearly outplaying him, no matter the wingers and zone starts. Eller is in a black hole right now, can barely make a simple play.

Eller on the wing sucks, DD on the wing is too small. Right now Gally is a fit at LW.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
700 pts does not equal inept is what you said. Wrong. Legwand as an offensive center, is indeed inept. No on in their right mind would look at a first line center, see 48 points in 82 games, and call that great except for you.

Whereas, Malkin has more points than games played, a true testament to his offensive skill level.

Got it. All the players that arent as good as Malkin are inept.

Thanks for clarifying how much you know nothing about the game of hockey and how hard it is to score points in the NHL.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I wish the habs would trade DD... in a package for a better center that they would put with Galchenyuk on LW, and then I would sit back on my coach with my popcorn and watch this board burn to the ground.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

I only brought Malkin up because it seemed like your post identified Krejci as a 2nd line center. I was in no way comparing Legwand and Malkin - I can't believe you could even get to that.

On a similar note, you don't play 1200 NHL games if you suck. Nope. You can say that all you want, but it just doesn't happen.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Got it. All the players that arent as good as Malkin are inept.

Thanks for clarifying how much you know nothing about the game of hockey and how hard it is to score points in the NHL.

Your inability to comprehend specific statements and then making silly extrapolations from said misinterpreted statement is quite remarkable. Never mind that one of the fundamental purposes of paragraphs is to separate distinct ideas.

The two general components of measuring offensive aptitude are the number of points scored AND how many games these points are scored in. Malkin's point totals given the number of games played is quite ridiculous. But I never stated Malkin's pace is the boundary between aptitude or ineptitude.

As far as I cann tell be boundary between offensively prolific and not is around 60 points in 82 games. Legwand is quite a bit lower than that and Malkin is quite a bit higher than that.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I wish the habs would trade DD... in a package for a better center that they would put with Galchenyuk on LW, and then I would sit back on my coach with my popcorn and watch this board burn to the ground.
Why would the board burn? If Desharnais traded, the forum would look like we just won a Cup.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I for one am pleased to see Chucky on the same line as our number one center.
How some people can compare what DD does with what Eller does is far beyond my comprehension.
But I'm fairly certain that if we move a center it won't be our 6ft+ 200lbs+ third liner.
Unless we are getting an upgrade. In which case DD is still relegated...
To what is the question.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I only brought Malkin up because it seemed like your post identified Krejci as a 2nd line center. I was in no way comparing Legwand and Malkin - I can't believe you could even get to that.

On a similar note, you don't play 1200 NHL games if you suck. Nope. You can say that all you want, but it just doesn't happen.

I am not so foolish as to operate on a dichotomy of "good" and "bad". The quality of players in the NHL exists on a continuum and for many different areas of the game. Hence the term "offensively inept". In fact, "suck" is a term only used by you in this conversation.

Desharnais is better than some players in the NHL; it is just that most of these players are on other teams' third and fourth lines. Compared to other centers with a top 6 role, Desharnais is quite near the bottom of that class.

As for Legwand, his longevity is in part due to Nashville not having anyone oust him for the job due to their constant playoff appearances and because he plays a rather complete game in all three ends of the ice. But him on the 1st line was probably grating to Nashville fans who wished for a gamebreaker to be added to the team in some way. But he is absolutely not a dangerous offensive force whatsoever.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Your inability to comprehend specific statements and then making silly extrapolations from said misinterpreted statement is quite remarkable. Never mind that one of the fundamental purposes of paragraphs is to separate distinct ideas.

The two general components of measuring offensive aptitude are the number of points scored AND how many games these points are scored in. Malkin's point totals given the number of games played is quite ridiculous. But I never stated Malkin's pace is the boundary between aptitude or ineptitude.

As far as I cann tell be boundary between offensively prolific and not is around 60 points in 82 games. Legwand is quite a bit lower than that and Malkin is quite a bit higher than that.

Whatever man, you're one of those who probably /facepalm when DD scored the game winner, and it's just sad on so many levels.

No one ever said DD is a prolific centerman, but he did have a prolific stretch last year, don't dismiss that, almost a PPG for 58 games. Almost Malkin's pace. But that dosen't make DD an end all be all prolific centerman, that makes him a valuable piece though. And I like where this team is going, although we clearly haven't played that well.

Please comparing DD with Malkin is a straw man argument, if you don't find something else it's just a waste of time. As is comparing Legwand to DD. Actually if you'd know anything about the NHL, Legwand is more comparable to Plekanec, productive 2-way forwards who master the PK. DD's game isn't close to Legwand's. Legwand's a fast skater and hustler and DD is a finesse passer. They do not get the same types of goals and assists. The comparison ends with the stats sheet if you actually watch them play.

Last edited:

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I am not so foolish as to operate on a dichotomy of "good" and "bad". The quality of players in the NHL exists on a continuum and for many different areas of the game. Hence the term "offensively inept". In fact, "suck" is a term only used by you in this conversation.

Desharnais is better than some players in the NHL; it is just that most of these players are on other teams' third and fourth lines. Compared to other centers with a top 6 role, Desharnais is quite near the bottom of that class.

As for Legwand, his longevity is in part due to Nashville not having anyone oust him for the job due to their constant playoff appearances and because he plays a rather complete game in all three ends of the ice. But him on the 1st line was probably grating to Nashville fans who wished for a gamebreaker to be added to the team in some way. But he is absolutely not a dangerous offensive force whatsoever.

I agree with the bolded, but that dosen't mean DD has no role on any NHL team. It's sad though that the Habs have got DD as their top center for so many years, as if the GM dosen't aknowledge the need to upgrade there. That said, I'm pleased with how DD produces considering the player he is, and his shortcomings.

Carbo N8

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
That Stanley Cup triumph may never be matched, I remember being so bummed out in the 7-5 win when the habs were down 5-2. Key the comeback, the Bruins IMHO never recovered from that and the Habs knew they could win no matter the deficit and were relentless in capturing their first SC in the 70's.:nod:

I kicked my coffee table over, breaking a bone in my foot, when the Bruins scored the 5th goal, but, watched the rest of the game. I'm guessing I'm the elder statesman on this board; McPhee & I talked about it some years ago & if I remember correctly, I'm slightly older than him.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I kicked my coffee table over, breaking a bone in my foot, when the Bruins scored the 5th goal, but, watched the rest of the game. I'm guessing I'm the elder statesman on this board; McPhee & I talked about it some years ago & if I remember correctly, I'm slightly older than him.

I love that the average age keeps creeping up in here!

By the way, not sure, but is that Steve Winwood in your avatar?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think that title might belong to Teufelsdreck.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

The thing is Legwand is still 120 points away from 700. At his age (34) it is a lot of points. If he reaches 700 points i'll be extremely surprised. For him 120 points is 3 complete good prime time years. At his age it is unlikely. If he reaches 700 points it will be in 1300 games or something hardly an accomplishment.

So Legwand as an example was not a good one ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad