Habs can now only face 4 teams in the first round

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Bunch of tough guys here lol

No way Boston 1st round.

I'll take the Leafs because they're trash.

1. Leafs
2. Bolts
3. Pens
4. Bruins

Wimp. ;)

I don't know why people think we match up well against the Leafs. Our record against them since 2000 is abysmal:

http://mcubed.net/nhl/mon/tor.shtml

For comparison, here's our record against the Bruins for the same period:

http://mcubed.net/nhl/mon/bos.shtml

We have a terrible record against teams that play with an edge with Boston being the exception. Here's our record against the Flyers, another poor fit for us:

http://mcubed.net/nhl/mon/phi.shtml

We have a terrible playoff record of 2-8 against the Flyers. Leafs play a similar style of game, with a very potent, physical top 6, weak D and average goalies. That would seem to indicate we have the advantage but the record says otherwise.

It's not a statement about the quality of those opponents when looking at them in isolation, it's a matter of which team's style gives us better odds of advancing to the next round.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Wimp. ;)

I don't know why people think we match up well against the Leafs. Our record against them since 2000 is abysmal:

http://mcubed.net/nhl/mon/tor.shtml

For comparison, here's our record against the Bruins for the same period:

http://mcubed.net/nhl/mon/bos.shtml

We have a terrible record against teams that play with an edge with Boston being the exception. Here's our record against the Flyers, another poor fit for us:

http://mcubed.net/nhl/mon/phi.shtml

We have a terrible playoff record of 2-8 against the Flyers. Leafs play a similar style of game, with a very potent, physical top 6, weak D and average goalies. That would seem to indicate we have the advantage but the record says otherwise.

It's not a statement about the quality of those opponents when looking at them in isolation, it's a matter of which team's style gives us better odds of advancing to the next round.
What's the point of posting stats from 2000? What about post-lockout? The Leafs are riding 1 line right now, Lupul is cold after scoring on every two shots last season, they're not very good defensively, they have a lot of rookies or young players with close to no playoff experience (Kadri, Holland, Rielly, Gardiner, Bernier). They have some good role players like McClement, Clarkson, Bolland (God Knows when he's gonna come back) and Kulemin. But I prefer our role players (White, Moen, Prust). They choked last year's playoffs so that has to get in their head if you can shutdown their top line, they become an easy team to beat. Phaneuf has shown that he doesn't have the greatest hockey sense and can have his brain farts. Franson is a glorified MAB. Ranger just got injured and with the acquisition of Vanek, I prefer our offense. It will come down to how good of a job our team does to shutdown JVR/Bozak/Kessel. Gorges/Subban + Plekanec/Gio/Moen should be able to get the job done.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
People choosing Boston must be golfers .

Boston is by far the cream of the East . They aren't losing in the first round .

and whats Rask's record against Montreal again? Something like 2-11. Not a 100% sure on that but it's very close to those numbers. This team can answer the bell. It would be an awesome series.

habitue*

I hate the new Playoffs system.

Some excellent teams will be eliminated right from the start.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Regardless of whom we play, we need Prust to heal that damn shoulder, Price's back to feel better and not have a rash of injuries.

Otherwise, it'll be shades of last year.

It isn't Prust's shoulder this time. I do hope Prust is healthy for the playoffs, but White has been playing good lately.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I hate the new Playoffs system.

Some excellent teams will be eliminated right from the start.

Isn't that an oxymore? If those teams were so excellent, why would they be eliminated by 'inferior' teams? ;)

It's not like scenarios like these didn't happen with the previous format, see Detroit vs Edmonton in 06 or MTL vs Pittsburgh & Washington.

habitue*

Isn't that an oxymore? If those teams were so excellent, why would they be eliminated by 'inferior' teams? ;)

It's not like scenarios like these didn't happen with the previous format, see Detroit vs Edmonton in 06 or MTL vs Pittsburgh & Washington.

Look in the Western Conference and you will understand my point.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I hate these kind of questions. Bring everybody on, it's the playoffs! It's not supposed to be easy.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Toronto but they dropped the ball last night and are in free fall mode. ****ing leafs. Will we see a Habs Leafs series in our life time?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

When 2 excellent teams go against each other in the first round. Before it was 1vs8,2vs7 etc.. but now it's 1vs4 2vs3 so chance could be that the 2vs3 are both top4 in the conference.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Surprised more people want the Bruins over the Pens. Boston is the better more balanced team with better goaltending .

I think the Leafs are the right answer we will see.

Toronto is the ultimate Jeckyll and Hyde team . They can look formidable and offensively strike fear in you then disappear for a period and they get bombed.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Would pay to go to the Bell Center and join everyone else harassing Fleury. Bylsma would probably have to play the backup lol.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
1. Toronto: Weakest team on the list, lacks defense and not tested playoff goaltender.
2. Pitsburg: I like the habs chances playing against Fleury.
3. Tampa bay: Would be an interesting match up.
4. Boston: Strong physical team; let's avoid them if we can.

SAKS AVENUE

Oct 12, 2008
I'd love for the leafs to just make it. Meet the Bruins in the first round and knock them out.

Then we can sweep them and after that whatever............

StanAjax

Jul 30, 2003
Nantes
Visit site
Look in the Western Conference and you will understand my point.

:dunno:

First round match-ups as of today :

With the new divisional format :
- St-Louis - Phoenix
- San Jose - Minnesota
- Anaheim - Los Angeles
- Chicago - Colorado

With previous years conference format :
- St-Louis - Phoenix
- San Jose - Minnesota
- Anaheim - Los Angeles
- Chicago - Colorado

So yes, you can hate the new format (I don't like it either) but it won't explain why great Western teams will exit in the 1st round !

Now, if we had a league ranking for the play-offs mathcups, I could understand your point...

I was wondering, would you like having rotating formats for the playoffs : one year matchups based on league rankings, one year matchups based on conference rankings, one year matchups based on division rankings (without wild cards) ?

I'd like to face some Western teams in the playoffs once in a while...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad