Habs can now only face 4 teams in the first round

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Let's say we make the playoff:

The only teams we can face in the first round are:
Toronto, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Boston

The only surprise could come from Detroit, but it is highly doubtful.

Who would you like the Habs to face in the first round?

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Let's say we make the playoff:

The only teams we can face in the first round are:
Toronto, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Boston

The only surprise could come from Detroit, but it is highly doubtful.

Who would you like the Habs to face in the first round?

In a particular order:

1) Toronto

2) Tampa Bay

3) Boston

4) Pittsburgh

dreamingofdrouin*

I voted tampa not because i underestimate them but because they are on toronto's level and they would both be a coin toss....if we're gonna go down i dont want it to be to the leafs, i want to wait until we have a true contender to take them on.

I guess i'd be alright with boston too because in all likelyhood we'll have to go through them in round 2 if we get there and one perk of facing them in the first is we wouldnt be worn down from the previous series and therefore even more ripe for the picking physically.

But its possible pittsburgh would be the best option because of their injuries..neal concussed...letang still out...martin etc,,,not to mention fleury totally tanking in the postseason all the time.

Overall my first answer right away is tampa.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I voted tampa not because i underestimate them but because they are on toronto's level and they would both be a coin toss....if we're gonna go down i dont want it to be to the leafs, i want to wait until we have a true contender to take them on.

I guess i'd be alright with boston too because in all likelyhood we'll have to go through them in round 2 if we get there and one perk of facing them in the first is we wouldnt be worn down from the previous series and therefore even more ripe for the picking physically.

But its possible pittsburgh would be the best option because of their injuries..neal concussed...letang still out...martin etc,,,not to mention fleury totally tanking in the postseason all the time.

Overall my first answer right away is tampa.

Facing Bishop wouldn't be an easy task.....thats why i pick Bernier/Reimer....i mean Toronto:laugh:

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
Voted Toronto

1) Toronto
2) Tampa Bay
3) Pittsburgh
4) Boston

For starters, I'd hate to run into Ben Bishop. We ran into a hot goalie last playoffs, and if anyone of these teams are capable of pulling that off again.. it's Tampa Bay. With that said, I think offensively and defensively we match up quite well with the Bolts.

Pittsburgh clearly has the best offense in the East, but they do have a shaky goalie in Fleury. Come playoff time I am sure he will regress to his usual ways.

We've played Boston very well this year, they can no longer push us around like the used to. They have lots of depth though that can match with ours. Their defense is stellar as well. Chara's game is declining but he still has enough in the tank to shut down our top line. Also Rask.

I choose Toronto for two reasons. Their blue line is worse then ours, and their goalies are not consistent. Does Bernier have any playoff experience besides a couple of games?. Believe it or not, but I think we can even out-coach Toronto. As sad as that sounds. Their team doesn't have the toughness it used to have. Also, they are a one line team. We've also played well against them this season.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Boston, then the rest. I'm confident against each team for different reasons.

For BOS and PITT, it's because we usually rise to the challenge + It's sort of the devil you know, especially BOS who we dominate right now (We've won 6 of the past 7)

For TB, We can beat them as long as Bishop isn't completely amazing

For TOR, we're a better team and we look to be in much better form going into the post season (they still worry me though)

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Voted Tampa, but I don't mind which ever between Tampa, Boston or Toronto.

Toronto, I mainly want to see them miss the playoffs. I think we can do well against them. Then again, they don't ever give up on any games.

Boston, they're the favorites in the East. They're much better than we are, in many ways. But we have a rivalry with them that has been quite silent this season. This could reanimate it. Then again, I don't want to sink in the rankings.

Tampa have some seriously dangerous players. They play a skill type of game. I think if we shut down Stamkos, Palat and Filppula, we'll have a decent shot as long as we can also get by Bishop. The games we've had against them have been fairly tight. Yet, some of those games had Stamkos on IR.

They're all tough match ups. I think starting with Tampa would be better in the long run. Assuming we win the series.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Detroit is not highly unlikley to make it because they have 3 game at hand on the Leafs with only 5 points down.

I think the Habs will face Tampa though. Now I'm hoping they finish ahead of them so they can get that home ice advantage.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Habs historically play very well vs Boston and Pittsburgh. It's all about matchups and goaltending in the playoffs. In the first round it matters less which team is better than the other on paper. ALL ABOUT MATCHUPS.

Saintpatrick*

Boston is 4 lines deep with a great goalie I'd much rather take our chances with the Laffs, TB or Pittsburgh.

SAKS AVENUE

Oct 12, 2008
I dont think we have much more than 45% chance of beating any of these teams... I think the best odds are against Toronto.

I hate the leafs. I have my entire life. I would love to see a playoff between these two teams, but it scares the hell out of me. Leafs amp it up against the Habs, like the Habs do to the Bruins. I'm with you in a sense of I think we can beat them, but at the same time I feel like I know what would happen.
Avoid Leafs at all cause!!!!!!!!

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
Goalies like Bishop should be nightmares for teams like ours. He's huge in net, leaves very little to shoot at, and even when he's out of position, he so damn big it doesn't ever matter. To beat him we'd have to crash the crease and deflect every shot...not our forte.

They also have great young players like Palat, Johnson and Hedman. Stamkos cannot be contained in a 7 game series. Guys like Malone and Crombeen would expose a lot of our smaller guys.

All in all, I think Tampa would be a repeat of last year's PO exit against the Senators. I think our game is better suited against the likes of Boston, Pittsburgh and specifically Toronto. We can grind out 2-1 wins in a defensive system-something Toronto really struggles to do. Even when we're not scoring on our PP, our PK is up to par (top 5 in the league), which is something the Leafs don't have. Either way, I think any first round matchup is gonna be tough for us. Carey and friends will have to rise to the occasion.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Boston.
Easier to take them out now since the first round is usually a crap shoot.
And if we have any hopes of the cup or to go far into the playoffs then we would need to get past Boston anyhow.
And if we were to lose to Boston, I rather be taken out of the playoffs at the beginning than go a couple of rounds into the playoffs and meet a settled down Boston and quite possibly get crushed (besides, it would also net us a higher draft pick...).
Otherwise, Toronto or Pitt. Either would be a fun series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad