Recalled/Assigned: Habs call up Caufield to Taxi Squad

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Cole Caufield is one of the very best prospects in the NHL.

He's not going to need 2yrs in the AHL.

More like 2 games.

I doubt he's going back.

But it's fine if he does. Learning the complete game is important. If he needs to go back next year when they actually play some games, so be it.

Chippy

Apr 16, 2021
I knew he would be with Mtl asap. My guess was after trade deadline. Off by a couple of days. Go CC!

Reactions: 26Mats

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think with the long break in Laval it makes sense to have him train with his future centers.

As for playing, what if he flops? It won't ruin his career, but it will be a mental setback. Why risk, if we will be needing him to be a top-9 contributor next year? We have the recent example of Poehling, whose confidence had obviously taken a hit last year. It's not like he developed new skills this season.

I agree Caufield will not be needing a Plekanec-type of development in the AHL. I just hope for some logic and consistency in decision-making.

Anyways, I'm adopting a wait and see posture on this one.
It's part of developing....he's not always going to have success.

Not in the AHL and certainly not in the NHL.

The question is how he performs when things aren't going his way.

That will be the challenge.

The way Ryan Poehling reacted is irrelevant to Cole Caufield.

Different player.

Reactions: Vachon23 and 26Mats

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You can't make the assertion that he won't need time in the AHL. Playing against tougher, bigger competition is very different than playing against kids your age. Sometimes there are other aspects of their game the team wants to develop, other than their offensive skill. So until his game is assessed in the AHL and he's deemed dominant enough to be able to make it in the AHL, let him do just that. If he's ready after half a season there, great. If he needs more time, so be it. Stop rushing kids based on their draft position.
I don't think I asserted this.

I just said I don't think he needs much time.

Additionally, he's been playing against tougher, bigger competition for 2yrs. There are players as old as 24-25 in the NCAA.

I don't really care about him dominating the AHL, it doesn't mean anything to me and it shouldn't to the Habs.

Not anymore than him dominating the NCAA means anything.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I don't think I asserted this.

I just said I don't think he needs much time.

Additionally, he's been playing against tougher, bigger competition for 2yrs. There are players as old as 24-25 in the NCAA.

I don't really care about him dominating the AHL, it doesn't mean anything to me and it shouldn't to the Habs.

Not anymore than him dominating the NCAA means anything.
I don't know whether he does or doesn't. I'm hoping he doesn't but if he does, no biggy. Let him develop properly is all I'm saying.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Disappointing, but not surprising.

With that said, Laval isn't playing for two weeks so there is "some" logic in this move.

Reactions: dinodebino

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think with the long break in Laval it makes sense to have him train with his future centers.

As for playing, what if he flops? It won't ruin his career, but it will be a mental setback. Why risk, if we will be needing him to be a top-9 contributor next year? We have the recent example of Poehling, whose confidence had obviously taken a hit last year. It's not like he developed new skills this season.

I agree Caufield will not be needing a Plekanec-type of development in the AHL. I just hope for some logic and consistency in decision-making.

Anyways, I'm adopting a wait and see posture on this one.

indeed...

if the organization under MB didn't have such an abysmal track record of managing player development, it would be much easier to sit back and enjoy the ride... but the consistently poor decision-making when it comes to managing young talent combined with the desperation of our GM make for a very risky situation.

Caufield seems to have a good head on his shoulder, so hopefully whatever transpires the next 2 months he takes in stride and doesn't let it derail his offseason focus.

the other thing that's a bit concerning... current habs lineup really has no one that can ride shotgun on a line and step in when the Tkachuk and Lucic's of the world go head hunting on our mighty mouse. We've seen the habs this year show that same lack of immediate physical response to players taking liberties on our talented players. Caufield, if he does make it into the lineup, will have a massive bullseye on that small jersey, especially against the flames...

if the kid steps in and has any kind of immediate impact on the score sheet, you know sutter is going to be directing his troops to test the kids emotional make-up and ability to play through intimidation.

who is going to confront Lucic when he lines Cole up on the boards and makes "unavoidable" head contact? Anderson? Weber? Edmundson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad