Recalled/Assigned: Habs call up Caufield to Taxi Squad

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not a fan of this move. I’d rather have him stay and hopefully dominate in the AHL for a while.

How many games are left in the AHL season? 2? Dominating 2 games won't help that much.

I say if he's not ready, they'll send him back down.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
What’s wrong with it? Long term sure, short term practicing with the team and getting him some action while Laval is on a 2 week pause can do no harm.

If he plays he’s gonna get PP time anyway.

Its not the end of the world, but I would hope he gets to play with either Suzuki or KK.

Reactions: Sagikev

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's not going to play any games...just practice with the team since Laval is off.

We shall see about that.

If our offense keeps getting shut down without Gally, I'd expect to see him sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 417

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If the guys currently on the team take care of business, than I doubt he gets in a game.

If they don't...all options are/should be available, including giving him a game to see how he fares.

I might be wrong, but I don't think this is a player who needs a lot of time in the AHL...unless the Habs goal is to suck out all offensive creativity he has, in favor of propping up his "play away from the puck".
I think with the long break in Laval it makes sense to have him train with his future centers.

As for playing, what if he flops? It won't ruin his career, but it will be a mental setback. Why risk, if we will be needing him to be a top-9 contributor next year? We have the recent example of Poehling, whose confidence had obviously taken a hit last year. It's not like he developed new skills this season.

I agree Caufield will not be needing a Plekanec-type of development in the AHL. I just hope for some logic and consistency in decision-making.

Anyways, I'm adopting a wait and see posture on this one.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Not a fan of this move. I’d rather have him stay and hopefully dominate in the AHL for a while.

Normally you'd be right but it's hard to dominate when you have 2 games in the next 2 weeks. If it's just practice, I'm fine with him coming up

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I can't?

He led the entire NCAA in scoring. Why can't I make the assertion he's one of the best prospects in the NHL?

Find me a scout who says he isn't.
You can't make the assertion that he won't need time in the AHL. Playing against tougher, bigger competition is very different than playing against kids your age. Sometimes there are other aspects of their game the team wants to develop, other than their offensive skill. So until his game is assessed in the AHL and he's deemed dominant enough to be able to make it in the AHL, let him do just that. If he's ready after half a season there, great. If he needs more time, so be it. Stop rushing kids based on their draft position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad