Post-Game Talk: Habs bounce back with a 7-3 win.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
The leagues hands will be dirty if this boils over into Saturday. They had an opportunity to make this right and deescalate, but they have done the opposite. I have no problem with Habs players taking penalties to make a point. If the league won't do it, the players will.

Exactly. Myers HAS to pay a price on Saturday if not suspended, to send a message to other teams that the Habs will not allow dirty shots to go unanswered. You dump it into Myers' corner and you run him all game long, until he's in serious pain. It's worth the charging/boarding calls to send a message.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Ah, so all penalties are correct then. Got'cha. :thumbu:

Hopefully we don't hear any whining in the GDT on Saturday!

They reviewed the penalty and confirmed it. They doubled down. Yes, it was a dirty hit. Intentional or not...another topic. You throw these hits today and you will get a penalty.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
They reviewed the penalty and confirmed it. They doubled down. Yes, it was a dirty hit. Intentional or not...another topic. You throw these hits today and you will get a penalty.
We'll have to agree to disagree, my friend. I have zero issue with the hit but it's clear neither of us are changing our stance.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We'll have to agree to disagree, my friend. I have zero issue with the hit but it's clear neither of us are changing our stance.
All good man, just don't be surprised when players get a penalty delivering these hits.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
you understand it's not "real world" here right ? that having 3.5 minutes in the box instead of 2.5 (we're talking what, 30% increase, wich is HUGE statistically) the gain would not be any less ?

you understand the punishment was not reduced and that the 5 minutes turned into 2.5 because penalties do not carry over right ? there's no chances Myers goes "hey! no way I do a full 5 min, I'll wait before going dirty".

You also understand the whole theory sounds nice on paper but it does work only for small stuff. It does not explain a huge % of criminals barely making enough $ to get to the next day (on top of being caught -jailed once in a while thus losing even more), it does not explain why places with the most severe measures do not have lowest crime rate, it does not explain criminals (a decent %) who would have more in their pocket with a 20$/H job, it does not explain why people who became rich are still commiting criminal acts ? and the list goes on and on and on...

not if you wanna talk about people going 100 in a 90 kmh zone, or not making a full stop, sure... humans do that. huge majority would not do a "predatory hit" though.

Hmmmm....

Well Known economist and Judge who has an entire economic field based on his work or guy on HF.

I don't care about 2.5 vs 5 either if you make a malicious hit and should have further punishment.

And a lot of your post doesn't make any sense with what I said or the research either...

You are talking about the highest punishments don't have the lowest crime rates and your right thus a huge part of the study and I mentioned it. Finding the optimal punishment ie not too short so that it acts as a deterrent but not too long so it doesn't cost society too much money and once you hit that point most people won't commit the crime anyway.

You are clearly unaware of the actual theories and simply made assumptions about it being about longer sentences are good (it isnt) and criticized it and me by saying "if you don't understand how this study I've only heard about today doesn't apply in this scenario even though you've studied it for years then you are in the wrong field"

Now everyone can have there own opinion and we can/should discuss them and come to New ideas. You had your opinion i proposed a counter opinion and cited a well known academic in the field I was basing my opinion on to which you basically replied,

"You don't know what you are talking about"

Can you cite a counter-argument to my proposition or is that just your opinion? Because once again I cited someone who literally created an academic field that has been used in sentencing law.

Im gonna look at your comment about rich people it actually completely explains why rich people keep committing crimes, the likelihood they get caught multiplied by the cost of getting caughtbis almost always lower than the gain from doing it. For example tax evasion/avoidance is a line commonly towed by the wealthy and if they get caught they can get out of it usually with a fee thus low risk for them.

Oh and lastly your comment about this not being the real world? You are right but also wrong about this not applying. This is based on human behavior and how to structure rules to achieve an optimal outcome of human decisions.

And one more time feel free to criticize my opinion, my field of study as a whole, or the hypothesis I provide but unless you are a peer in the field (in some way) please do not criticize whether that person understands their field. Its not a good way to discuss a topic or debate. You come off as someone who is either arrogant or childish.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Hmmmm....

Well Known economist and Judge who has an entire economic field based on his work or guy on HF.

I don't care about 2.5 vs 5 either if you make a malicious hit and should have further punishment.

And a lot of your post doesn't make any sense with what I said or the research either...

You are talking about the highest punishments don't have the lowest crime rates and your right thus a huge part of the study and I mentioned it. Finding the optimal punishment ie not too short so that it acts as a deterrent but not too long so it doesn't cost society too much money and once you hit that point most people won't commit the crime anyway.

You are clearly unaware of the actual theories and simply made assumptions about it being about longer sentences are good (it isnt) and criticized it and me by saying "if you don't understand how this study I've only heard about today doesn't apply in this scenario even though you've studied it for years then you are in the wrong field"

Now everyone can have there own opinion and we can/should discuss them and come to New ideas. You had your opinion i proposed a counter opinion and cited a well known academic in the field I was basing my opinion on to which you basically replied,

"You don't know what you are talking about"

Can you cite a counter-argument to my proposition or is that just your opinion? Because once again I cited someone who literally created an academic field that has been used in sentencing law.

Im gonna look at your comment about rich people it actually completely explains why rich people keep committing crimes, the likelihood they get caught multiplied by the cost of getting caughtbis almost always lower than the gain from doing it. For example tax evasion/avoidance is a line commonly towed by the wealthy and if they get caught they can get out of it usually with a fee thus low risk for them.

Oh and lastly your comment about this not being the real world? You are right but also wrong about this not applying. This is based on human behavior and how to structure rules to achieve an optimal outcome of human decisions.

And one more time feel free to criticize my opinion, my field of study as a whole, or the hypothesis I provide but unless you are a peer in the field (in some way) please do not criticize whether that person understands their field. Its not a good way to discuss a topic or debate. You come off as someone who is either arrogant or childish.
If you think your theory applies to the Myers hit, you are in the wrong field (wether it's hockey or economics). It does not.

I mean, cost to society ? come on now...

Poehday

Nov 1, 2016
Charlotte, NC
SO mad I stayed up for Wednesdays game and passed out after the first period last night. These back to back 10:00/9:30 PM puck drops kill me waking up at 5 AM for work.

Reactions: Runner77

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If you think your theory applies to the Myers hit, you are in the wrong field (wether it's hockey or economics). It does not.

I mean, cost to society ? come on now...

In this example society are the players in the NHL. Anyways don't feel like getting an infraction for saying what I'd like to so instead im gonna add you to my ignore.

Good bye.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
In this example society are the players in the NHL. Anyways don't feel like getting an infraction for saying what I'd like to so instead im gonna add you to my ignore.

Good bye.
and you don't understand why your example doesnt apply to the Myers hit ?

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
tell me, you're in a club having a drink with friends, a guy (at least) twice your size pushes you for no reason... what are the chances you push back ? 10% ? 20% ?
uh, i wouldn't find myself in that scenario because i'm not trash, but if he starts taking swings at me i would certainly try to defend myself, I wouldn't "do nothing" which is what I was responding to.

anyways this has derailed into a weird discussion, i'm not even sure why i responded in the first place :laugh:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not surprised with the no suspension for Myers. The NHL really needs to change the principle point of contact BS as the reason for not suspending hits like this. The hit was still a high hit with contact to the head plus it was a blindside hit on an unsuspecting player which caused a head injury.

You need to be way more harsh on these type of hits if you want to protect your players like you say you do NHL.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Not surprised with the no suspension for Myers. The NHL really needs to change the principle point of contact BS as the reason for not suspending hits like this. The hit was still a high hit with contact to the head plus it was a blindside hit on an unsuspecting player which caused a head injury.

You need to be way more harsh on these type of hits if you want to protect your players like you say you do NHL.

It just boggles my mind. I don't care of the principle point of contact was his big toe... end of the day, it was a predatory hit that concussed a player. Nevermind the hockey aspect of the injury, but this is a human being's health here. Freaking idiots in the DOPS.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The fact that these type of blindside hits still cause a concussion, should be an indication to the league that there is an even bigger blind side in the scope of their rules.

What is the reason for punishing direct hits to the head? Is it not to avert concussions and brain damage?

And here with the Myers hit, we have one form of hit that completely falls off the radar when it comes to meting out punishment and encouraging dissuasion.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It just boggles my mind. I don't care of the principle point of contact was his big toe... end of the day, it was a predatory hit that concussed a player. Nevermind the hockey aspect of the injury, but this is a human being's health here. Freaking idiots in the DOPS.

I believe there is a silent "e" in DOPS. :sarcasm:

Reactions: sheed36

x15Kotkaniemi15x

May 22, 2011
Toronto
Really fun game last night. Fascinated by how things will continue to go! If you like my content, check out my thoughts on last night and subscribe and comment! Cheers my friends!

Reactions: Rockinron

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
uh, i wouldn't find myself in that scenario because i'm not trash, but if he starts taking swings at me i would certainly try to defend myself, I wouldn't "do nothing" which is what I was responding to.

anyways this has derailed into a weird discussion, i'm not even sure why i responded in the first place :laugh:
cause you're looking for trouble! :fence:

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
I would not call a 5 minute major at the end of a blow out game proper punishment. Vancouver had no chance of coming back at that point and therefore the 5 min major was not punitive to the team. Myers should have been suspended, particularly now that we know the player was injured on the play.

Reactions: Oryxo

Jul 6, 2016
Losing two regular players gives that win a very sour taste.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
Armia, the best 3rd liner in the league with the best game of his life.
Concussed because his past teammate got mad about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad