Habs Best Forward?

Best Forward?

• Total voters

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
So are you saying we are one player away? :huh:

4 players and two swap outs away:

Another top-6 RW (maybe Caufield after Kovalchuk acts as a stop-gap for one season?)

A swap out of Domi or Drouin for an equally talented but, larger LW for the top-6, with the other playing on the 3rd line.

A younger top-4 RD with Petry's production to replace one of Petry or Weber (likelier Petry)

2 Top-4 LDs, including Romanov, with Chiarot sliding to 3rd pairing duties once Romaniv is ready for a top-4 role.

A veteran back-up for Price.

So, technically, MON is four new players away and, ideally a different identity for two other players.

All doable within three years, IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No it's not. You can put MacKinnon on this team, obviously it would help but it remains poorly built.
We need to change the group. Too many similar players, even Gallagher isn't as feisty as he once was.
They need a better mix of guys, adding one talented player isn't going to make this team complete up front.

I was talking an elite talent of course. Those players are extremely difficult to get, and the most important job if a GM and scout is to get them.

I'd be very interested to see this team with Hall or Lafreniere. But neither will happen.

Best hope is for Timmins to finallt land one in the draft. He's drafted elite D and goalies, but never a forward.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I was talking an elite talent of course. Those players are extremely difficult to get, and the most important job if a GM and scout is to get them.

I'd be very interested to see this team with Hall or Lafreniere. But neither will happen.

Best hope is for Timmins to finallt land one in the draft. He's drafted elite D and goalies, but never a forward.
Well like I said in my post, even with MacKinnon, this team would still be flawed because it's poorly built. Too many similar players.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
4 players and two swap outs away:

Another top-6 RW (maybe Caufield after Kovalchuk acts as a stop-gap for one season?)

A swap out of Domi or Drouin for an equally talented but, larger LW for the top-6, with the other playing on the 3rd line.

A younger top-4 RD with Petry's production to replace one of Petry or Weber (likelier Petry)

2 Top-4 LDs, including Romanov, with Chiarot sliding to 3rd pairing duties once Romaniv is ready for a top-4 role.

A veteran back-up for Price.

So, technically, MON is four new players away and, ideally a different identity for two other players.

All doable within three years, IMO.
Yes, teams are lining up to make a trade like that?

Reactions: barbu

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yes, teams are lining up to make a trade like that?

The trade is suggested as Drouin or Domi for an equally good but, larger version of themselves. It's just who needs to be swapped out and for what. You can trade a D for a winger to get there.

Although, potentially, Domi going to a team that desperately needs a C could get you a big, productive winger in return, provided that team was thin at C and stacked on the wing.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Gally, not even close... for those who are sad about that i get it, he's no crosby/mcdavid etc by any means but any of those guys would love to play with him, he's such an underrated player i find, his impact on the game in general is more valuable in a team oriented game situation than a lot of much more skilled players, very low maintnance, very consistent, you write his name on the roster and forget about him... he's definately not the most skilled guy but you know exactly what you're going to get out of him every night... he complements any top6 in the league... Very underrated imo, we're very lucky to have him... Won't take no for an answer, relentless, gotta love his determination... Best fwd, not most skilled right?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Gally, not even close... for those who are sad about that i get it, he's no crosby/mcdavid etc by any means but any of those guys would love to play with him, he's such an underrated player i find, his impact on the game in general is more valuable in a team oriented game situation than a lot of much more skilled players, very low maintnance, very consistent, you write his name on the roster and forget about him... he's definately not the most skilled guy but you know exactly what you're going to get out of him every night... he complements any top6 in the league... Very underrated imo, we're very lucky to have him... Won't take no for an answer, relentless, gotta love his determination... Best fwd, not most skilled right?
You aren't winning anything with Gallagher as your best forward. It's absolutely pathetic. Nothing against Gally, but he wouldn't be the best forward on 95% of the teams in the NHL and for good reason.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Now, if you start paying Gallagher, or Tatar (which currently has a bigger impact, actually, IMO) -- as a #1 forward on your team because you don't have a true #1 forward, it won't be any better than when they paid Brisebois like a #1D or Koivu like a #1C.

It would screw up the team's Cap structure and we could never truly align a winner again in the future, short of drafting 4 generational players in four consecutive seasons.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I like Domi’s overall skillset the most. Still think Drouin has the most upside.
He was very good before getting injured . Best of the Habs and we were seeing what kind of player he could become . Suzuki + Drouin i hope will be a great combo next seasons . Bergevin just needs to find the big physical winger to complete them

Reactions: Dutronc

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
obv Gally
It's hard to say because we are comparing apples with oranges.
Gally will always be a warrior, a scorer because the way he plays. But i don't think that it makes him the best forward of the Habs ; he scores a lot because he always shouts from anywhere + the way he goes to the net . Players like Domi, Drouin and Suzuki have more upside and one day, could reach 70-80 points . But as i said previously , i don't like to compare apples and oranges .

That said, we all love Gally for what he is , and how he works and gives it all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad