Post-Game Talk: Habs beat the Stars... But just.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
All I can say is if Matheson should ever be injured and miss any playing time, the holy tankers here will get their wish.
....Goes to find my Matheson voodoo dolll...jk

I think the D is good enough to hold there own for a short while, but I agree with you if Matheson is out for an extended period

Reactions: Guillermo

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Watching Montreal play this season and I'm really really impressed with the speed.......................
.........of the fast forward function of my recording device. lol
Get that dog of the bone asap.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
MSL is getting exposed so hard. Guy is a legend on ice, but has serious flaws as a coach.

He should be assistant, not head coach. They'll have to move from him when this team is able to compete.
I mean to be fair look at the roster he has going out there every night and how we're playing - Then compare it to the rosters we've gone up against. I think he's been doing a good job.

He's made mistakes, but he's also a young coach. He wants to be here, he's helping with the development of our young players, and he's keeping the veterans motivated as well.

I don't want to risk going back to where we were (in terms of coaches) before MSL ..

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Watching Montreal play this season and I'm really really impressed with the speed.......................
.........of the fast forward function of my recording device. lol
Get that dog of the bone asap.

I didn't see the game. But we just beat a contender, and we're just getting started in our rebuild.

What specifically are you complaining about about last night's game?

MSL is getting exposed so hard. Guy is a legend on ice, but has serious flaws as a coach.

He should be assistant, not head coach. They'll have to move from him when this team is able to compete.

10 forwards for most of the game, and the third line consisted of Armia, Evan's, Pezetta, and Stephen's. Yet we beat a contender with that lineup, on the road. MSL must be doing something right.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I didn't see the game. But we just beat a contender, and we're just getting started in our rebuild.

10 forward for most of the game, and the third line consisted of Armia, Evan's, 0ezetta, and Stephen's. Yet we best a contender withat lineup, on the road. MSL must be doing something right.
Please keep logic out of this and just repeat the mantra: MSL is bad; Matheson is bad; Slafkovsky is bad: Harris is bad… I don’t know why they are bad, but if you repeat it enough, it must be true.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi

10 forward for most of the game, and the third line consisted of Armia, Evan's, 0ezetta, and Stephen's. Yet we best a contender withat lineup, on the road. MSL must be doing something right.
You mean they eked out a win,yay I guess. So many teams are in contention and it shows the league is not very good. How is it possible that a team such as Montreal is able to be in so many games? Part of the fanbase wanted a rebuild and Montreal messed that up and most likely will be higher up in the standings than last season.

Whats funny is so many whiners complain about others whining and complaining when all anyone is doing is saying what's on their mind as if no one else is doing the exact same thing. Individual perception is a hoot eh?lol, and on top of that you have a bunch of blowhard know-it-alls that think that only they have the valid acuity to express what is accurate and you get a bunch of jimmy-jump ons and bobby-brownnosers that eagerly tag along.lol

What are the objectives of this season? to tank again or to try to win games? doesn't appear if either scenario has been managed properly imo.

If you want to call what they are doing is a rebuild,go ahead,I don't. In a rebuild,you scuttle and salvage worthwhile materials,yet to be done.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I have to admit that Jordan Harris is alot better than I thought he was.
When you can skate anything is possible. Before long, Harris will evolve into a valuable asset that we can trade to fill other missing pieces or retain as a core top 4 defenceman going forward. But this talk of including him as an afterthought in the myriad of trade proposals you read here is pure folly and would be another example of inept asset management that has plagued this franchise since the Carter administration.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You mean they eked out a win,yay I guess. So many teams are in contention and it shows the league is not very good. How is it possible that a team such as Montreal is able to be in so many games? Part of the fanbase wanted a rebuild and Montreal messed that up and most likely will be higher up in the standings than last season.

Whats funny is so many whiners complain about others whining and complaining when all anyone is doing is saying what's on their mind as if no one else is doing the exact same thing. Individual perception is a hoot eh?lol, and on top of that you have a bunch of blowhard know-it-alls that think that only they have the valid acuity to express what is accurate and you get a bunch of jimmy-jump ons and bobby-brownnosers that eagerly tag along.lol

What are the objectives of this season? to tank again or to try to win games? doesn't appear if either scenario has been managed properly imo.

If you want to call what they are doing is a rebuild,go ahead,I don't. In a rebuild,you scuttle and salvage worthwhile materials,yet to be done.

I wasn't complaining that you were complaining, I was asking what it is you were complaining about.

So many teams are in contention because of the salary cap. When a team acquires a lot of successful players, they can't keep them all due to the cap. So the good players get spread out around the league. I don't see that as having a bad league. It does make it really challenging to build a dynasty. But I'd rather a league where it's hard to build a dynasty than a league where it takes a team forever to get out of the gutter. The salary cap makes it challenging to build a winner - and that's how it should be, challenging to build a winner.

I also want ts to tank harder. But management has made a decision to balance keeping some good vets and trying to build a winning mentality/culture with the youth. So far I like management, so we'll see how it turns out. I would like to move David Savard if we get a good offer this TDL. When Monahan was playing well at C, I wanted to go Suzuki- Dach-Monahan down the middle, so that young guys like Newhook, Slaf, RHP, Roy, and Ylonen wouldn't get stuck playing with Dvo as their 3c. Now that Monahan has slowed down, to my eye, I'm more open to moving him. But I also do think he's great to have around for the young guys. It's possible he'll be good for another 5 years, given he's still only 29.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
This comment surprises me. He is not perfect and has only been doing it for one year, but he has a lot of positive attributes as well. He is NOT our Achilles heel.
Is that you Geoff? :laugh: last time I checked the NHL isn't a coaching development League. He refused veteren coaching help when Gorton asked,kept Burrows and hired his buddy Robidas who also has very little coaching experience,we are last in defense and special teams,sorry but a rebuild is painfull enough ,the fans are entitled to more than that after 30+ years of mediocrity
This comment surprises me. He is not perfect and has only been doing it for one year, but he has a lot of positive attributes as well. He is NOT our Achilles heel.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When you can skate anything is possible. Before long, Harris will evolve into a valuable asset that we can trade to fill other missing pieces or retain as a core top 4 defenceman going forward. But this talk of including him as an afterthought in the myriad of trade proposals you read here is pure folly and would be another example of inept asset management that has plagued this franchise since the Carter administration.

I agree with this. I can only imagine what type of dman Harris will be at 25. I have a feeling, like Ylonen, Harris will decide to really bulk up. And this will bring his effectiveness as a defender to a higher level.

The problem is, I don't know if we can keep him until he's 25, or whatever age it takes him to reach his ceiling, because we have Matheson, Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, and maybe even Engstrom, ahead of him on the left side. And they'll all be pushing for NHL jobs by next training camp or the one after. So I'm resigned to us probably having to trade him at a low value. If we have to, I hope it's in a package where we get a good young top 6 forward or draft pick back. So for example if he's put in a package with Allen, Savard, Anderson, or Monahan, as long as the asset we get back is a really good future, I'll be ok with that.

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
The part I like the most of this , is he looks better and on his off side . Somethubg we badly need . So if he continues does well there , that’s a huge advantage he will have

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hope over the next couple of years that he bulks up the way Ylonen did this past summer. He would be much stronger in battles and at protecting the puck when he carries it up ice.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Technically the jury is still out there. He’s not Wayne Gretzky like people seem to think here. He’s made incredible passes and good D zone play while hardly ever getting a good shot at the net unless I missed some. I wanna see that cannon of a shot. I don’t think he’s a bust but I can’t ever see him being more than a PPG player and that’s optimistic and realistic. Really hopes he proves me wrong
Maybe that’s the ultimate issue… needing to manage expectations when scouting reports clearly stated there was no generational talent in 2022 draft…

Not all draft cuvées are created equal.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Maybe that’s the ultimate issue… needing to manage expectations when scouting reports clearly stated there was no generational talent in 2022 draft…

Not all draft cuvées are created equal.
There were no generational talents in 2017 either and then out of nowhere Cale Makar emerged. You just never know how an 18 year old will develop.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
There were no generational talents in 2017 either and then out of nowhere Cale Makar emerged. You just never know how an 18 year old will develop.
True but if we’re talking about 1OA expectations… 2017 was Hischier / Patrick all season long.

Wasn’t Makar playing Junior B in Alberta (AJHL vs WHL)? Went to UMass after being drafted

2022 had scouts clearly having a top-3 (Wright, Slaf, Cooley) then the rest… out of those Slaf looks more & more like the correct choice

Reactions: Tyson

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
We stopped playing after the 4th goal and that was a valuable lesson for the children. Slaf is dancing around out there like he owns the place, he is feeling it but he just needs to shoot the puck!!
That's next year's milestone when he completes his training. But hey, there's nothing in the Jedi Code that says he can't leap ahead a few lessons.

Reactions: OldCraig71

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Just checked the Stars GDT and it had a whopping 87 posts for tonight's game.
hockey city my ass. Dallas should just return the Star logo back to Minnesota, a real hockey town, so the team could don North Star jersey again (instead of the hideous jersey they wear now)

Reactions: Cournoyer12

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
hockey city my ass. Dallas should just return the Star logo back to Minnesota, a real hockey town, so the team could don North Star jersey again (instead of the hideous jersey they wear now)
It might just be that their fanbase is unaware of HF boards. The crowd seemed to be into the game, it wasn't a Florida Panthers like atmosphere and I actually like the green home jerseys but their old black one with the star in the center was better looking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad