Post-Game Talk: Habs beat the Stars... But just.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The kid had a great game for sure!!

Total redemption for Monty after the TB game.....boy that was way too close at the end..............if that game was 30 seconds longer, they tie it, and we head to OT...............insane finish.

Anderson? Any news? Did not look good when he left.
I haven't seen/heard anything on Anderson yet. I'm sure we'll hear something today.

Reactions: Runner77 and BLONG7

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Too funny reading all the Slaf love, when just 4-weeks ago “Slaf-bust-sky” was utterly the most stupid pick to have made instead of “elite talent Cooley”…..

1704282368751.gif

Cue I was always a big Slaf supporter!

Reactions: Redux91

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Too funny reading all the Slaf love, when just 4-weeks ago “Slaf-bust-sky” was utterly the most stupid pick to have made instead of “elite talent Cooley”…..

View attachment 795033

You expect people to deny a good game when they see it? I mean what’s the point here, we’re Habs fans we all want the same good things. We have different tastes (maybe tastes don’t change as easily as perceptions) but a good game from a player is a good game from a player.

I usually catch games after they’re finished live and I rushed here to comment praise for him… because he was praise worthy! What’s the problem?

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Exacty! they play 6v5 like 5v4. They should have a box then a lead guy taking the defensemen. Instead they all collapse into the crease and Dallas was able to manoever at will.
Robidas/Burrows =bottom of the League for special teams/defense,thanks Jeff/Kent,what else needs to be said,and I don't care if our defense is no 2 for goals,they're primary job is to defend......duhh

Last edited:
Reactions: NotSNFan

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Habs can't just win. They have to turn every ending into an episode of Game Of Thrones. Fun to watch them turn away the Green Walkers last night.
You expect people to deny a good game when they see it? I mean what’s the point here, we’re Habs fans we all want the same good things. We have different tastes (maybe tastes don’t change as easily as perceptions) but a good game from a player is a good game from a player.

I usually catch games after they’re finished live and I rushed here to comment praise for him… because he was praise worthy! What’s the problem?
There's never a problem with objective opinions. As you said, we can all agree Slafkovsky had a strong game. The points he should've gotten, but didn't, last night could be considered payment-due on a couple of weaker points he got in previous games. Bottom line is these strong games are happening more often. So are the points.

Slafkovsky still has his weaknesses, but experience and confidence are whittling them down, while his strengths are showing up more often and are starting to define his game.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I would also be concerned about Matheson, who, after stopping a shot in the first period, was never the same after.
I noticed that, and was actually surprised he still played as much as he did. Letting him have a game or two off, might be a good thing for him and the team right now.

Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Habs can't just win. They have to turn every ending into an episode of Game Of Thrones. Fun to watch them turn away the Green Walkers last night.

There's never a problem with objective opinions. As you said, we can all agree Slafkovsky had a strong game. The points he should've gotten, but didn't, last night could be considered payment-due on a couple of weaker points he got in previous games. Bottom line is these strong games are happening more often. So are the points.

Slafkovsky still has his weaknesses, but experience and confidence are whittling them down, while his strengths are showing up more often and are starting to define his game.
Most importantly, the game is slowing down for this 19 year old and his ability to process the play is catching up to his physical abilities. His now passing to areas of the ice where linemates are (or should be) going to. Before Slafkovsky was playing checkers. Now there is a chess like element to his game.

This could get very interesting as this very young player develops.

I noticed that, and was actually surprised he still played as much as he did. Letting him have a game or two off, might be a good thing for him and the team right now.
With the rapidly increased development and effectiveness of Struble and Harris, that approach is now feasible.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
MSL is getting exposed so hard. Guy is a legend on ice, but has serious flaws as a coach.

He should be assistant, not head coach. They'll have to move from him when this team is able to compete.
So move the coach that developed these kids when it’s time to compete?? If they can compete, it means he did his job. Well.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I would love having a player like Jamie Benn on my team. Even if he is not what he used to be, he has such presence on the ice. Just having him on the ice at the end there, I was crapping my pants.
Slaf will be a Benn for us. Wait t’il he understands his size and strength and bullies guys

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
With the rapidly increased development and effectiveness of Struble and Harris, that approach is now feasible.
Agreed, or at the very least. Allow the coaching staff to properly distribute ice time to the others. While lowering Mathesons time to a more reasonable level.

Slaf will be a Benn for us. Wait t’il he understands his size and strength and bullies guys
To be a "Benn" you have to be a bit of an asshole. I don't think Slaf has that in him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I really appreciate this team's resilience.

Even the games they lost this road trip. In Carolina, being down 2-0, then making it 2-2. Going down 3-2 and tying it again. And then it kind of got away from them.

In Florida, the final score was 4-1, but it was 1-1 until about half-way through the 3rd, where Florida scored 3 goals, 2 of them on the PP.

In Tampa, Montreal was the better team that game and deserved at least 1 point. But Tampa's a championship team, so even when they don't play well, they find a way to win. But that didn't change the fact Montreal was better than Tampa.

In Minnesota, they're down 2-0, tie it 2-2. Go down 3-2 and tie it 3-3 and force OT.

I'm happy that this team doesn't have a losing mentality. 37 games in, you can probably count a handful of games where they were DOA and absolutely stunk from puck drop to the final buzzer. The rest of the games, maybe at some point it gets away from them, but they don't fold. They don't play a full 60 yet, but they don't just falter.

At some point, in a year or two, this mentality and resilience will translate to more wins once the kids get more games and seasons under their belts.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Agreed, or at the very least. Allow the coaching staff to properly distribute ice time to the others. While lowering Mathesons time to a more reasonable level.

To be a "Benn" you have to be a bit of an asshole. I don't think Slaf has that in him.
You’re right. I don’t quite see him that way either. That said, the physically imposing player that Benn was in his prime? I think Slaf will bring that in spades. By 23 he will be a force

Reactions: Habs10Habs

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I went to bed at 4-1. I wasn't surprised by the 4-3 when I woke up and I told myself "Matheson defending late game".

I think the Habs might want to keep the 7Ds, just to lower Matheson TOI.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

View attachment 795033

100% right now.

Meanwhile SlafBusty is now 3 pts behind Cooley for the season and Cooley only has 8 pts all season 5 on 5, the man can't play 5 on 5 hockey in the NHL.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

Even the games they lost this road trip. In Carolina, being down 2-0, then making it 2-2. Going down 3-2 and tying it again. And then it kind of got away from them.

In Florida, the final score was 4-1, but it was 1-1 until about half-way through the 3rd, where Florida scored 3 goals, 2 of them on the PP.

In Tampa, Montreal was the better team that game and deserved at least 1 point. But Tampa's a championship team, so even when they don't play well, they find a way to win. But that didn't change the fact Montreal was better than Tampa.

In Minnesota, they're down 2-0, tie it 2-2. Go down 3-2 and tie it 3-3 and force OT.

I'm happy that this team doesn't have a losing mentality. 37 games in, you can probably count a handful of games where they were DOA and absolutely stunk from puck drop to the final buzzer. The rest of the games, maybe at some point it gets away from them, but they don't fold. They don't play a full 60 yet, but they don't just falter.

At some point, in a year or two, this mentality and resilience will translate to more wins once the kids get more games and seasons under their belts.
I agree totally with you. The team's mentality is really stellar considering the age of the main group and how young we still are on defense.

We are above .500 without Dach all season. If I had told you we would lose Dach game 2 and still be over .500 half way through, you would have called me an idiot.

If we draft a good offensive prospect, make the right free agent signings on the wing this off season and integrate Hutson and Reinbacher through the next season (not at the start IMO, AHL for both to start), then we aren't that far off from contending. No matter what anybody tells you.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Gorton said in an interview they offered that but MSL said no.

They should have forced him
MSL should have zero say in that

View attachment 795033

Technically the jury is still out there. He’s not Wayne Gretzky like people seem to think here. He’s made incredible passes and good D zone play while hardly ever getting a good shot at the net unless I missed some. I wanna see that cannon of a shot. I don’t think he’s a bust but I can’t ever see him being more than a PPG player and that’s optimistic and realistic. Really hopes he proves me wrong

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Great post.

I know some people are on "team tank" and want us to be as bad as possible for another top prospect but what you're saying here is also important. There's a difference between going down fighting and being annihilated, especially in the mentality of some of these young guys. You don't want them coming back year after year expecting to suck. You want to feel like they're at least turning a corner, getting better, beating teams like Dallas etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad