Post-Game Talk: Habs beat Sens 3-2 in OT

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Whatever happened to all the hockey geniuses that flooded the thread after Chairot signed that told us how terrible he was and what an awful signing it was?

Where did they go? They were really easy to find the first few games when Chairot didn't look great but now they are nowhere to be seen.

It's almost like they disappeared. It's the strangest thing. When Jiri Sekac was traded there were tons of people lamenting what a horrible trade it was and it was going to haunt the Canadiens and then... they just disappeared. When Philip Danault was acquired there were tons of people that said it was a horrible acquisition and then... they just disappeared. Then Subban for Weber. Then Galchenyuk for Domi...

It's amazing how many posts we get screaming about how stupid the management is and how horrible their moves are and how few posts we get from people admitting they were dead wrong.

Funny how that works.
When they are right though, look out. You'll never hear the end of it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Dude you clearly know nothing about goaltending. Blame Tkachuk for the OT pass (Chabot messed up worst though) but blaming Primeau for that rebound is plain ignorant.
I think on both goals a young goalie could find things that they would do differently if they could have a do over. The first goal Primeau tried to break up the pass and ended up redirecting it right on Tkachuks stick. If he had the chance to play it again maybe he would have been a bit stronger on it and redirected it out of the danger zone rather than right into it.

The second one, yes it was difficult to control, but maybe he'd try to be a little quicker with the recovery on the rebound.

I'm not blaming him for either goal. He played great. But young goalies that are continually looking to improve will always replay the goals against to see what they could have done differently.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
As mentioned in gdt, Poehling deserved the call, he is a part of future core. Cousins, Weal, Barber, Vejdemo and Evans are more dime a dozen style players.

Gotta let the youngsters grow and play. Good game Poehling much better than last callup

Reactions: Tuggy

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015

While everyone celebrated around Chiarot, Weber went straight to Primeau for his first win.

And as Marc Denis also said in the post-game interview with Primeau, Price went to pick up the puck to give to Primeau.

I hope Primeau can be the back up goalie we've needed for several seasons and at the same time pushes Price to be better.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Well if you take away his countless and timely turnovers then yes, he was great. He was brutal actually

I couldn't disagree more. He was easily the best Hab for controlled zone entries and made several good passes throughout the night to create scoring chances, including setting up two goals with excellent plays and was one of the few forwards who was effectively killing time in the third when the team had a 2-0 lead by getting pucks in deep and having sustained puck control to eat up the clock. He was also one of the few forwards that drove the net.

Gallagher, meanwhile, heralded as a "saviour" took two stupid, lazy penalties in the third period that could have easily cost the team the game.

Domi, by the way, was credited with zero giveaways on the night.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I hope Primeau can be the back up goalie we've needed for several seasons and at the same time pushes Price to be better.
I hope Primeau establishes himself as a reasonable starting goalie rather soon so that Habs can still get something relatively decent for Price. (if ever there is a GM that wants to take on his ridiculous salary).

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I couldn't disagree more. He was easily the best Hab for controlled zone entries and made several good passes throughout the night to create scoring chances, including setting up two goals with excellent plays and was one of the few forwards who was effectively killing time in the third when the team had a 2-0 lead by getting pucks in deep and having sustained puck control to eat up the clock. He was also one of the few forwards that drove the net.

Gallagher, meanwhile, heralded as a "saviour" took two stupid, lazy penalties in the third period that could have easily cost the team the game.

Domi, by the way, was credited with zero giveaways on the night.

i find that gallagher can't really pace himself. He always looks gassed.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
As mentioned in gdt, Poehling deserved the call, he is a part of future core. Cousins, Weal, Barber, Vejdemo and Evans are more dime a dozen style players.

Gotta let the youngsters grow and play. Good game Poehling much better than last callup

More like diamonds in a rough

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
It's a great line but the point is winning a cup. We won't win a cup if they are our top line.

I spent a ton of time bickering about this in the summer, but never did get an answer, so maybe you can point me in the correct direction:

If a line is controlling 60% of all shots, chances, goals and expected goals, all while playing against top competition, are they not contributing to the stated objective of Winning?

With the stated goal being to win, what alterations would you make to their usage?

Personally, I think Tatar-Danault-Gallagher as a #1 line has contributed positively to the goal of winning. And the only adjustment I'd make to their usage, if any, would be to give them more minutes

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Atlantic pack inching closer to the Metro pack, which opens up the WC positions.

Yeah. Tampa and Tor will be there by year end. Mtl Flo and even Buff might be there too. The wildcards in the east are still wide open and any expectation that Metro would sweep are ridiculously premature. I felt going into the year it would either be 5-3 for Atl or 4-4. Still feel the same today

Reactions: Tuggy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I spent a ton of time bickering about this in the summer, but never did get an answer, so maybe you can point me in the correct direction:

If a line is controlling 60% of all shots, chances, goals and expected goals, all while playing against top competition, are they not contributing to the stated objective of Winning?

With the stated goal being to win, what alterations would you make to their usage?

Personally, I think Tatar-Danault-Gallagher as a #1 line has contributed positively to the goal of winning. And the only adjustment I'd make to their usage, if any, would be to give them more minutes

Pageau is on pace for a 60 pts / 40 goal season. Does that mean he is now a top line center on a cup contender? I like the Tatar / Danault / Gallagher line just as much as you do but the point is winning a cup and playoff hockey is completely different than regular season. If I'm building a contender, they are my 3rd line

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Guys:

Is Primeau ruined yet?

Same thing people asked about Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Galchenyuk, DLR, Tinordi, McCarron, Leblanc, Pacioretty, etc when they came in and looked good right off the bat.

The problem is the question disappears if there is any sign of struggling and turns into something like: was the player even ever that good?

Perhaps a valid question but IMO it's worth noting that these players must have played well enough/had the skill before to make it to NHL at such young age and played well enough to stay long enough to struggle.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm so scared we're going to trade Primeau to keep Price... That would be such a Habs thing to do.

Think those fears are unfounded.

1. Primeau doesn't have a really high trade value. Maybe top top draft picks as goalies could fetch a return (so MAF after draft, or Price picked #5, etc) - but Primeau until he actually proves himself at the NHL level won't fetch much. Maybe he would fetch a 2nd round pick or something? Certainly wouldn't fetch a return worthy of what his potential/ceilings are.

2. For all of Bergevin's faults - the one thing he's usually been very, very good at is not selling low on any of our top prospects. Didn't he make a ridiculous claim that he would only trade Primeau for a legitimate #1C earlier this year? It doesn't sound like he's at risk of selling low on him...

Not sure what the long-term plan is going to be in the next 2-3 years if Primeau performs at the NHL level and Price is still Price - but in the short term it's not a possibility.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Yeah. Tampa and Tor will be there by year end. Mtl Flo and even Buff might be there too. The wildcards in the east are still wide open and any expectation that Metro would sweep are ridiculously premature. I felt going into the year it would either be 5-3 for Atl or 4-4. Still feel the same today

It's pretty clear BOS-WSH should finish #1 in their respective division but aside from that, it's wide open. NYI-CAR-PHI-PIT are all decent, same for BUF-MTL-FLA. All of these teams have a shot at finishing 2nd.... or 10th. Of course, TB and TOR are in a class of their own, but who knows what will happen in the next few months. They have struggled so far.

It really is wide open

Reactions: scrubadam

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's pretty clear BOS-WSH should finish #1 in their respective division but aside from that, it's wide open. NYI-CAR-PHI-PIT are all decent, same for BUF-MTL-FLA. All of these teams have a shot at finishing 2nd.... or 10th. Of course, TB and TOR are in a class of their own, but who knows what will happen in the next few months. They have struggled so far.

It really is wide open

To be honest I disagree 100% that either of Boston or Washington are certain to finish #1.

Tampa just scored 128 points. If they win the 3 games in hand they have on Boston - they are 7 points back with 50 games to go. To me they are almost the favorites still - despite how far back they are.

Washington has more of a track record of winning divisions, and with their lead of course they are the favorites. But i'd say both NYI and Pitt could catch up. Point is it's far from settled that either of Boston or Washington win division. Both will almost for sure make playoffs and in a top 3 divisional spot - but winning division is too early to call.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Poehling looked more composed last night like the game slowed down for him, same as Primeau. In fact Primeau reminds me a little of Price.

Domi is such an enigma. He spent most of the night turning the puck over and overstickhandling. But he made two great passes. Like i said in his thread he's a playmaker, he's got stone hands around the net. But arguably he was our difference maker last night.

Chiarot is a new D with all his confidence. Nice to see. We sure miss Mete though. Leskonen was shrugged off the puck by Tkachuck like a little bug and turned the puck over for a goal.

Cousins is more of a third line player. I liked him a lot in Phoenix last year, couldnt believe they didnt resign him.

It's going to be gritty hard nosed hockey with some AHL guys until we get our guys back.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
This team is disjointed so I think I'll be disjointed too and be all in for a playoff spot. No way they finish near the bottom and from what I hear............ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS. If nothing else they all can get some playoff experience.

I'M ALL in for the PLAYOFFS! :eek:

About last night. Good game and happy for the kid goalie. What a thrill. Domi been looked improved but still had some brain farts. Poehling looked okay. Weber getting a snarly was something I haven't seen in I don't know how long. Does the offense have to be against him personally? Would have liked to have seen that somehow out of him after Kotka got KO'ed.

If Gallagher would be a pure shooter I'm not sure how many goals he would have had but heart and soul guy no matter what. Congrats To Sweet Chiarot on the game winner.

EMBRACE the PLAYOFFS!

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Pageau is on pace for a 60 pts / 40 goal season. Does that mean he is now a top line center on a cup contender? I like the Tatar / Danault / Gallagher line just as much as you do but the point is winning a cup and playoff hockey is completely different than regular season. If I'm building a contender, they are my 3rd line
They are a second line on a contender.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Same thing people asked about Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Galchenyuk, DLR, Tinordi, McCarron, Leblanc, Pacioretty, etc when they came in and looked good right off the bat.

The problem is the question disappears if there is any sign of struggling and turns into something like: was the player even ever that good?

Perhaps a valid question but IMO it's worth noting that these players must have played well enough/had the skill before to make it to NHL at such young age and played well enough to stay long enough to struggle.
There was a very dramatic reaction to his call up, shrieks of disaster waiting to happen, ruining primeau, etc.

It's a light hearted jab at the dramatics. Every player will have ups and downs towards reaching their final potential, whatever that is.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP

Pageau's success has been over a span of 25 games, and driven by unsustainable shooting percentages both individual and on-ice.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher's has been over the span of 100 games, driven by shot volume, which historically is more sustainable, and is consistent with the results they've produced individually over the bulk of their careers

It's for real. If you want to contend that it won't work in the playoffs, fair, that's your prerogative, but it's speculation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad