Post-Game Talk: Habs beat poor WAS goalies 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Anybody read the TSN recap of this game

Here is the second paragraph

"Losers in their first two pre-season outings, the Canadiens got a winning spark from dependable forward Brendan Gallagher and his new linemate Tomas Tatar to earn a 5-2 victory against Washington."

Maybe its time to take someone off the Tavares watch to proof these stories. No respect i tell ya no respect

https://www.tsn.ca/gallagher-habs-beat-caps-in-quebec-city-1.1176776

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Tatar has looked really solid so far. I know people talk about his time in Vegas, but sometimes players just don't fit.
I saw some posters trying to bring up Semin doing well in preseason as a comparison, and I don't see it at all. Tatar was traded last year for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. That tells me: 1) Detroit really didn't want to trade him (but how can you pass that deal up?) and 2) Vegas really thought he'd make a difference for them. Obviously it didn't work out, but sometimes that happens.

You can't just say "this is his third team in less than a year" without having any context attached to it. He's a fine player and he's far from done at 27.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I thought Joel Ward played well, also was nice to see him basically tell Valiev to get away from Wilson which was a smart veteran move or else he would've taken a few fists to the face lol.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tatar has looked really solid so far. I know people talk about his time in Vegas, but sometimes players just don't fit.

I like his offensive ability but he is yet another soft forward with skills. I'm sure he does well (pts and goal wise) with us and how we will use him in a top 6 role and PP. I think his puck turnovers and soft style of game is what Vegas didn't like. However, they had other options so they could afford to sit him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I saw some posters trying to bring up Semin doing well in preseason as a comparison, and I don't see it at all. Tatar was traded last year for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. That tells me: 1) Detroit really didn't want to trade him (but how can you pass that deal up?) and 2) Vegas really thought he'd make a difference for them. Obviously it didn't work out, but sometimes that happens.

You can't just say "this is his third team in less than a year" without having any context attached to it. He's a fine player and he's far from done at 27.

Tatar is a good top 6 talent. I think Vegas had a lot of options and were expecting Tatar to be better. The problem with Tatar is he is another soft skilled forward who will turn the puck over in the offensive end. Tatar will be good for us in our top 6 and PP... production wise. He has a lot of skill.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Even though he scored and he's +5 in 2 games. I don't see why Valiev would be on the NHL roster. He brings nothing special.

I prefer Lernout, at least he plays physical and can throw hits... something we lack on defense.
I would prefer Lernout over Valiev. I doubt Lernout clears waivers. Big D that can skate this well will be scooped up.

Reactions: Agalloch

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Anybody else see the pattern here?

Price plays we lose
Price doesn't play we win

Same as last season!!

Maybe the reason they kept Price is because they know he is good for the tank!!

noticed this too, and the team just seems to play different with Price there.

I can't blame him for the 2 goals in his game, but you had a feeling that he would put the team in a hole and allow a few goals on minimal shots.

I bet he starts Sat and going into the 2nd period its probably 2-1 or 2-0 Senators.

So many times I was watching the game last night and all I could think was if Price was in nets that would of been a goal.

Reactions: habsgirl5000

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

He looks really good to be honest, he should be good enough for 20+ IMO if he stays healthy. I know people want to flip him but I think the guy can actually play and help us going forward for the next 3 years. Great return for Bergevin on the Patches trade considering all circumstances !!

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I thought Joel Ward played well, also was nice to see him basically tell Valiev to get away from Wilson which was a smart veteran move or else he would've taken a few fists to the face lol.

You could tell he had an extra level of inteligence out there. Made so many smart plays along the boards/intercepting passes.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I didn't think Lernout looked good either last year or this year. He's big and he can hit sometimes but he hasn't defended well.
He is younger and skates better than a lot of our vets, why not try and continue developing him?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
noticed this too, and the team just seems to play different with Price there.

I can't blame him for the 2 goals in his game, but you had a feeling that he would put the team in a hole and allow a few goals on minimal shots.

I bet he starts Sat and going into the 2nd period its probably 2-1 or 2-0 Senators.

So many times I was watching the game last night and all I could think was if Price was in nets that would of been a goal.

This post is a classic. :laugh:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I know it's only three games in but I see a remarkable difference between this "team's" play and last year's team. It's not so much the talent level as it is the style of play. It's upbeat, fast and relentless. Once they retrieve the puck in the defensive zone it's out on the offensive play in one or two plays. I wonder if Richardson's and Ducharme's presence is being felt from the get-go?

Richardson as a coach I don't know that well but Ducharme's teams play that way - especially the last 2 junior Team Canada squads.

Bergevin just got the memo most other GMs received at least 5 years ago - one about how important speed is in the NHL. Julien is deviating from his go-to strategy.

MB still hasn't got the one about not trading skill for attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad