Post-Game Talk: Habs beat Hawks 5-2

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I have been very very high on him for quite some time.
I remember losing it earlier this season when he was our best player on the ice for Laval and our only player with a goal.
We pull the goalie down 2 with more than 5 minutes to go and Struble never saw the ice. :skeptic:

.When he got called up I said "I hope he gets to play and never sees Laval again."
From what I'm hearing there isn't one analyst who sees him getting sent back.
I've read a few of you here that spoke really highly of him. For me, until he got to Laval. I'd only seen him in video clips. Where he was good, but never really stood out for me. In Laval, he looked good to me, but there's a big difference between performing well in the AHL and the NHL.

Now that I've got to see a bunch of games with him in Montreal. I can definitely see where the "hype" was coming from. If he continues to play like this. I can't see him being sent down. Unless sadly he gets caught up in a numbers game.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Great game by Slafkovsky & Suzuki again. Caufield may not be playing great, but he's still getting points. He has 3a on this road trip & is on a 4 game point streak.

Slafkovsky is awesome! That is all. Kid is a bull out there. He's figuring it out.

Savard coming back really has settled things down for Montreal on the D-side of things. Remember Matheson-Barron? Lol Barron had a really shit 2nd period, but seemed to settle down in 3rd.

Struble is a beast. I like what I'm seeing from Montreal's young players both here & in our prospect system.

Monahan-Evans-Anderson line is also playing really well right now.

2-0-1. 5 out of 6 points. Great way to go into Christmas break.
Realistically if we had Dach and Newhook playing right now, Monahan-Evans-Anderson would be a stellar 3rd line and would give our offense much more depth.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I've read a few of you here that spoke really highly of him. For me, until he got to Laval. I'd only seen him in video clips. Where he was good, but never really stood out for me. In Laval, he looked good to me, but there's a big difference between performing well in the AHL and the NHL.

Now that I've got to see a bunch of games with him in Montreal. I can definitely see where the "hype" was coming from. If he continues to play like this. I can't see him being sent down. Unless sadly he gets caught up in a numbers game.
I dunno because that would fly in the face of everything management professed about the way they would handle their kids. Something will have to give but watching Struble play he gives very little. :sarcasm:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That wouldn't be a bad idea cause up and coming quality bottom six guys are not legion. They are either skilled guys that we put them there "for the time being" or old guys that have jumped from teams to teams a la Bellsille.
Tuch, Beck.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Realistically if we had Dach and Newhook playing right now, Monahan-Evans-Anderson would be a stellar 3rd line and would give our offense much more depth.
Most people saw Slaf playing with Dach but now seeing him play with Suzuki I'm not sure that would give us the best balance going forward. It should be very interesting once we see them all healthy again. I actually see Caufield Dach and Slaf Suzuki as the best duos to try and build from.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I hope I’m not alone in saying the season is starting to get exciting

Most people saw Slaf playing with Dach but now seeing him play with Suzuki I'm not sure that would give us the best balance going forward. It should be very interesting once we see them all healthy again. I actually see Caufield Dach and Slaf Suzuki as the best duos to try and build from.
Maybe but Slaf and Dach seems like a good second line possession monster crew.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If Dach & Newhook hadn't gotten injured, we're probably a playoff team this year. Lost our 2nd line. It really sucks.
I actually still believe we'd end up where we currently are once the season plays out. Next year was when I saw a concerted push for the post season.
We have lots of tough games to play within our conference in the second half.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I was one of the "most people" who felt that Slaf would be much better with Dach, then say Suzuki. I think Slaf would do well playing with either of them. But I'm definitely leaning more towards Slaf staying with Suzuki.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Got crazy and added a little extra rum in the tea tonight to celebrate this glorious Christmas win!! This was a fun game and good to see Slaf get rewarded with a few points. I liked Heineman too, he's like a little freight train. He's gonna be tough to play against down the road.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
La victoire signe Yoel Armia! The dude was everything and everywhere.

Great game by Slaf again. 2 points.

Barron was horrible.

Stuble is a stud!

Lessgo!!! Da playoffs are within a reach!

Reactions: Runner77

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I was eluding to Harris and xhekaj actually. Barron is a future 7D on this team lol. But Reinbacher, Hutson, Guhle, Struble, mailloux, Matheson for a few years. At least one unfortunately has to go between the two
We don't have many right handed D. So Barron is going to stay. Pretty sure Kent will trade Harris in 2024. In your list, you only have 2 right handed D. With Savard 3 vs 7 left handed.

Matheson with six decent periods consecutively. He just has fewer brain cramps with Savard because he doesn't feel he has to do it all.
He is such a better player when he simplifies his game.
This is probably why I don't see Kent trading Savard this year. Maybe next season.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Screenshot_20231223_013816_YouTube.jpg

Taken from the official NHL highlights of the game
Offsides ?
wow

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Saw Struble play prep / high school & Northeastern, always stood out for being an elite skater with lots of “truculence”.

Not shocked that Struble’s made an impact, but surprised the rate of improvement keeps climbing.

I expect next year Luke Tuch will establish himself within the org as well
Not gonna lie, would love to see some extra nastiness on this team and be tough to play against. It's how Cups are won. The 70s Habs were skillful AF (relatively, nothing like today's skill level) but could beat the crap out of you too and were not shy about playing that game

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
View attachment 789175

Taken from the official NHL highlights of the game
Offsides ?
wow
WOW is right. The angle they showed us on RDS was very deceiving but even then it didn't look conclusive enough to overturn. This photo doesn't look anything like what we saw to the extent I could be convinced this has been shopped. Please tell me they can't be this inept...

:help:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I know the board here was pretty harsh on Savard (me included), but I understand why he has won a cup. He is a legit top 4 guy.
At the same time last season a lot of us commended him for picking up his game by looking more mobile and solid defensively. He's never going to be the fleetest of foot but he did improve quite noticeably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad