Habs are a contender for next season as of today. Agree or disagree?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Far from it. Our top 6 will take a huge hit with Vanek's departure. Our center group is still average. Our defense could go either way, depending on how Markov and Emelin play.

We're slowly getting there, but we're barely a first tier team as of right now, let alone a contender.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs will not be a contender as long as DD eats first line and PP minutes. Same for Plekanec. That does not include the mention of a very average defense.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
We need to wait til half the season has passed until we make such a statement. But without a player such as Vanek being a clear cut contender is almost unimaginable unless Galchenyuk really pushes the pace and stays healthy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
One thing you can't forget when having this discussion is the fact that we're in a very weak Eastern Conference. I can't remember it ever being this weak.

Seriously, even without Vanek who is better? Boston maybe? Pittsburgh doesn't scare me and neither does anyone else. If we were in the West, totally different story as I think we'd struggle to make the playoffs without Vanek. In the East though? There's not really a team that scares me.

Now that we've lost Vanek, we've got a lot of work to do (esp on the wings) before we can be considered a legit contender. But we've got a good core group of players that we can really be positive about. I'm really interested in seeing what happens this summer.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
without Vanek I doubt that Gionta patrolling the right side of Thomas Plekanec get us to the PO, no way DD-Plek is a legit 1-2 punch.

Flyinghab

Jul 18, 2012
Ontario
When DD is our 1st line centre, sorry we need a legit 1st line centre. We need a 3-4 defenceman, who can clear the crease for Pricer. A stay at home type, think of Murray but he can skate...lol! We lose too many faceoffs and collapse back on Price way too much. We are still a work in progress like Bergy said.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
When DD is our 1st line centre, sorry we need a legit 1st line centre. We need a 3-4 defenceman, who can clear the crease for Pricer. A stay at home type, think of Murray but he can skate...lol! We lose too many faceoffs and collapse back on Price way too much. We are still a work in progress like Bergy said.

DD has nothing to do with us being a contender. If we had a replacement for Vanek that was equally as good, we would be a contender even with DD.

We sucked this year without a true top 6 because we never replaced Ryder's production / Cole's the year before. But once you have a top 3 winger, it makes a world of difference.

Unfortunately there isn't a top 3 player outside of Vanek in this years UFA crop. So, given that, we likely aren't contenders because we can't replace him.

It don't matter if we lose face offs or rely on Price because we can rely on Price. But unless we can score or have a scoring threat, it don't matter.

Therrien gave a really good summation, he realized that it will be a struggle to make the playoffs next year. But he also realized, that we should have made the finals last year. Everyone says he sucks at communicating but I disagree, MB has brought out a different side of MT that we haven't seen before. He isn't the baffoon that he was in Pittsburg, he has actually grown as a coach.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No one talks about this, but Price injured in PO the last 2 years is not good. Could just be bad luck, but I'm starting to think there might be a problem with his knees.

I'll be happy if Price stays healthy through the PO next year.

The Habs are not contending next year, or any year in the next 5, without Price healthy through a full PO.

You're going to love Tampa. Average age like 24. Tampa worries me the next 5 years more than any team in the east, by far.

Just wanted to point out that Bishop is also coming off an injury. Tampa - like most teams with top goalies - is just as dependant on the health of Bishop as we are on Price. Your point about Price will be worth revisiting if he has chronic injury issues, but so far (from what I know), it's been a small number of one-off injuries that healed completely - ankle, groin, knee. No need to send out the Tokarski-signal just yet.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
As of now, no.

Look at our top two lines assuming Vanek gone. Not very scary is it. Plus, I still don't know Tins and Beaulieu are NHL redy.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The issues that Plague this team remain.
Lack of balance.
We are screwed on D with our left handedness.
We need to find Two BIG bodies to play Gallagher with or his career will be a short one.
We need to address our C disaster.
We need to look hard and long at players who are ineffective and can't execute in the playoffs.
A long list but no worries we have depth???

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
A a real first line center
Two skilled top six forwards
One legit right handed 2nd pair d man or a first paid d man should one become available.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
DD has nothing to do with us being a contender. If we had a replacement for Vanek that was equally as good, we would be a contender even with DD.

We sucked this year without a true top 6 because we never replaced Ryder's production / Cole's the year before. But once you have a top 3 winger, it makes a world of difference.

Unfortunately there isn't a top 3 player outside of Vanek in this years UFA crop. So, given that, we likely aren't contenders because we can't replace him.

It don't matter if we lose face offs or rely on Price because we can rely on Price. But unless we can score or have a scoring threat, it don't matter.

Therrien gave a really good summation, he realized that it will be a struggle to make the playoffs next year. But he also realized, that we should have made the finals last year. Everyone says he sucks at communicating but I disagree, MB has brought out a different side of MT that we haven't seen before. He isn't the baffoon that he was in Pittsburg, he has actually grown as a coach.

He is a good "press conference" communicator . His problem is coaching , that hard hard head and his EGO. I would have fired him right after our last loss to the Rangers.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
We're literally a Connor McDavid away from being contender.

umm no....we need more pieces and not necessarily a generational talent kind of player....with that said...getting a guy like that would not hurt.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
But he was incredible in the Olympics. Every player has injuries and he's been very durable. And wasn't that a groin issue?

This latest injury though is the most serious one he's had so far. So yeah, we should be at least a little concerned. It didn't sound like something to be too worried about but yeah, you definitely don't want the knees to get hurt.

I was shocked the coaching staff allowed him to continue after that sequence. It was ugly and I was reasonably sure he was done for the moment it happened.

Hopefully there is no long-term negative impact from that sequence.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Let's be realistic. The team might have missed the PO if they'd lost the Ottawa game in March.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Ego whatchu talkin about dude???? :shakehead

I was trying to be kind ,take the edge off the comment. The only other word option was stupidity so I opted for ego to be more polite.

When it is more important for a coach to make his point publically than to win a conference final series, that is stupidity/ego at work, and a out of control coach. If he can not handle players like PK and TV one on one, in a closed room, and motivate them that is poor people skills. Our coach likes the public rod. (a fatal flaw)These are not children. He plays TV under 13 min in all of those loses to the Rangers and as low as 11 in some. He reduces his pp and offensive zone time . Most of his 5x5 play is on the fourth line. He is just a loaner, and never going to sign, so the coach rather than sitting down with TV one on one to motivate him and then creating the game situations to get the puck on his stick when he is in scoring position instead decides , big man that he is, that HE is going to make his rep by publically disciplining a top tier player to feed his EGO. All it cost him was the conference final. Not one fan noticed. Then those less than smart fans say a guy who got 11-12 min a game on the 4th line and took four shots over those four games underperformed. lol The guy who was our second leading pts guy btw. Then the GM extends him.lol FYI other UFAs notice this crap.

Last edited:

habsrule22

May 10, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
Boston will need to make some cuts to fill out there roster, they will be no where near as good as last year. N Lurch is aging, did you see him at the end of our play off round. He looked dead on his skates

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
As it stands right now we're not a contender.

We have huge holes on the wing, and Gorges has to go so we have some cap room to acquire a dman better than Gorges while freeing up space on the bottom pairing for the kids.

I haven't voted and won't, not until the roster is set because that will change everything.

If we make no changes and go back with the statu quo we aren't a contender at all. We're another decent team that is likely to make the playoffs if things unfold the way they are supposed to, and who could make noise in the playoffs with a bit of luck but who are extremely unlikely to win it all.

I'll withhold my vote a while longer. We'll have a much clearer picture in 2-3 days.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00