Habs are a contender for next season as of today. Agree or disagree?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If we take the rosters as they ended the year last year, today right before the draft/free agenecy when a lot of rosters will get a major re-shuffle, where do you see the Habs?

I feel as though September is going to roll around, and all the so-called experts (and most fans too) are going to say things like:

"Yeah, this year will be tough. Habs will make the playoffs but barely...or be right on the bubble but miss them, finishing 9th or 10th". Just like everyone said 2 years ago, and last year.

I call BS.

2 years ago, Habs finish 1st in division.

Last year, habs finish 1 point out of 2nd in division, and made it to final 4.

Not to make excuses, but both playoff runs we lost our best player (Price) to injury, and he didn't play either year when we got eliminated. Not saying we definately win with him in the lineup, but at the same time would NYR win without Lunqvist or Kings without Quick?

I say this year, the habs are a contender. I say this year, the habs are a VERY STRONG contender to win the division, and should even be considered favorites maybe (close to or above Boston).

I wouldn't put them in the top 2-3 teams as cup favorites of course, although they certainly make the top 8 or so teams for me.

How does everyone else feel about this right before the draft/free agency, while all teams are still intact from last season. If the season started again today with the rosters everyone has, do you see the habs near the very top of conference again? Or struggling for playoff berth? Do you see them repeating playoff success, or not?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Still too many unknowns to be able to say, should be a playoff team but we need Subban re-signed of course and then 2 Top 6 Ws and Top 4 RHD to win the division IMO

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
i
Before every season ALL teams are contenders. Just ask any Leafs fan who thinks they have a team to win the Cup every year...:shakehead

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Obviously not a contender. The teams forward group doesn't stack up to many teams in the west.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
What we lack in top end talent we make up for in depth. Sure we can use another top6 winger with size, but we can get by without one.

Add an elite D and elite Goalie to that depth and we have a top 3 team in the east. The biggest question is whether or not Galchenyuk can complete our Holy trinity of elite C, D, G. Once he does, we will be a legitimate contender.

For now, we are a top team in the East. Still a tier below Chicago, LA, and Boston.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Nope, not a contender. We'll be there only when we'll become a favorite to win the cup.
But no one will tkae the Habs over teams like Chicago, Bruins (even if we beat them, they were favorite), Kings...

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Right now I'd say we're still a contender in the East, even without adding a forward yet. Boston/NYR/Pittsburgh haven't done anything to improve yet either and currently could possibly all be losing key players (Iginla/Stralman/Niskanen).

If we want to contend with teams in the West we'll need to sign or replace Vanek and add another forward like a Kulemin to replace Gionta.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
With Vanek in our lineup we can hang with the best teams in the East. Without him we are very weak on the wings.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

it depends on how deep our D is gonna be with the rookies...could be as many as 3...that's not usually a recipe for a contending team...BUT..tinordi and beaulieu have had enough experience the past that if we were to add a solid vet to it and they pan out as we expect them to, we could have a quality defense as early as this year....that..and we would have to sign a pwr fwd....and galchenyuk and eller would have to take huge steps.....then...we would probabley still have to add something good at the deadline to push us over the top.....but with carey price..its possible......a more likely situation is that we start contending when our new core is in place and fuly developed....galchenyuk, eller, Gallagher, beaulieu, tinordi...and some other draftee's would have to emerge.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

we somehow acquire evaner kane....or sign stralman and iginla....or draft a player who jumps in right away/......a lot can change over the summer....so i'll make my final judgment then...but as of right now..we need more

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Will need to replace Vanek and get a top 4 dman. A lot of things went well last year... If nothing really happens over the summer, I think it will be a struggle to make the playoffs.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
We have a great core in place but IMO we aren't a contender just yet. Still missing 2-3 pieces including a solid top 3 D

Markov and Subban are great, now we need to upgrade Gorges, he isn't a top 3 and that's what were missing

And we need another scoring winger

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Our lineup is close to contending, but more important, Bergevin appears ready to take us the rest of the way. Signing Weise, Weaver and, especially, Vanek was a clear sign that management is aiming for the SCF. Expect a similar level of commitment this year. If Vanek's gone, we can expect to replace that scoring punch through UFA or trade, and we can expect a major push to add some combo of Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn to our D core.

Realistically, I don't see any way to get to LA's level no matter what we do, but we have a real shot at the EC.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If we take the rosters as they ended the year last year, today right before the draft/free agenecy when a lot of rosters will get a major re-shuffle, where do you see the Habs?

I feel as though September is going to roll around, and all the so-called experts (and most fans too) are going to say things like:

"Yeah, this year will be tough. Habs will make the playoffs but barely...or be right on the bubble but miss them, finishing 9th or 10th". Just like everyone said 2 years ago, and last year.

I call BS.

2 years ago, Habs finish 1st in division.

Last year, habs finish 1 point out of 2nd in division, and made it to final 4.

Not to make excuses, but both playoff runs we lost our best player (Price) to injury, and he didn't play either year when we got eliminated. Not saying we definately win with him in the lineup, but at the same time would NYR win without Lunqvist or Kings without Quick?

I say this year, the habs are a contender. I say this year, the habs are a VERY STRONG contender to win the division, and should even be considered favorites maybe (close to or above Boston).

I wouldn't put them in the top 2-3 teams as cup favorites of course, although they certainly make the top 8 or so teams for me.

How does everyone else feel about this right before the draft/free agency, while all teams are still intact from last season. If the season started again today with the rosters everyone has, do you see the habs near the very top of conference again? Or struggling for playoff berth? Do you see them repeating playoff success, or not?

Silly question. The standard for "contender" should include 6-8 teams.

As of today, just weeks away from losing in the Eastern Conference final, as a final Four team, yes they are a contender. Unless their roster takes a big hit over the summer, they should still be considered a contender (did not say "favourite") at the start of next season.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
What we lack in top end talent we make up for in depth. Sure we can use another top6 winger with size, but we can get by without one.

Add an elite D and elite Goalie to that depth and we have a top 3 team in the east. The biggest question is whether or not Galchenyuk can complete our Holy trinity of elite C, D, G. Once he does, we will be a legitimate contender.

For now, we are a top team in the East. Still a tier below Chicago, LA, and Boston.

Uhm, we beat Boston last year 7 games to 4 I believe, including when it counted. And their best player is definitely aging.

Nynja*

You still think Habs are a better team? The better team doesn't always win BTW.

Maybe in a "one and done" "loser goes home" situation, yeah luck can be a factor. In a 7 game series, the better team is the winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00