Habs are a contender for next season as of today. Agree or disagree?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
We can definitely get out of the East. Depending on what Bergevin does with the cap space (upgrade on D? Sign an offensive winger?), I see us trending up while some other teams are not.

Bruins are still a very good team, but their leaders are getting old. On the Rangers, MSL might slow down as well. I mean, he will at some point, no? :help: :laugh:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
With the same lineup we can contend in the East. Versus the West we are too small and would lean too heavily on Price.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It depends who team replaces Gionta, Vanek and Weaver with. Those three guys don't seem like much, but it's a team's depth that determines its contending status. A good core can only get you so far, depth pushes you over the edge.

For all the flack Gio gets, he's a pretty difficult player to play against, he's reliable and chipped in a fair amount of goals given his role and he contributes away from the puck. Vanek's goals down the stretch will need to be replaced, even though he wasn't particularly strong in the playoffs.

The habs had trouble with their bottom pairing all year long last year. Weaver helped tremendously in that regard.

Also remember that Bourque has shown to be less reliable during the regular season than in the playoffs. Not having a playoff-type Bourque and not replacing Gionta and Vanek hurts the team's forward depth significantly. Perhaps, Eller, Gallagher and Galchenyuk develop enough to compensate? I don't know.

I think Beaulieu will be ready to contribute, but he still doesn't bring the type of stability a vet does on a bottom pairing, even though Beaulieu might be better.

It's still uncertain if the east will be as wide open this year as it was last year. A couple of teams in the east have some good prospects that might start contributing in a significant way soon.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
disagree big time, the rangers where a **** team and made it to the final, I would never consider them a contender this year, it's just the way the east is.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
Doubtful, especially after losing one of our top 3 forwards to FA. Going to be pretty tough for us to not make the POs with Price in nets and Subban on D, but there's little chance we're going to outscore any of the top teams in a Bo7. We got lucky to meet up with our biggest rival in the second round last year. Need a lot more offense and better D to be considered with the big boys. Our organizational depth at forward and in nets is also paper thin.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Disagree. I still only think of Boston and then Pittsburgh as "contenders" in the East.

Habs and Rangers had nice little runs, but still lack elements and consistency. If they can have more convincing 100+-pt seasons and repeat their playoff runs next season, maybe they can join the club. Not yet.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
The X-factor is Bergevin. I get the feeling that there are myriad possibilities with him, and it's a lot of fun to behold.

What I hope is that he is self-correcting, and revisits the arch-conservatism with which the team has been managed. I hope that he provides MT feedback in this vein, on a regular basis, because I don't see MT as self-correcting to the same extent... I hope also that there is a lot of thought given to finding MT an assistant who thinks differently from him.

The team needs to be more meritocratic: if Beaulieu is getting it done, play him; if Subban is getting done, at an elite level no less, stop trying to reform him when a little tweak here and there will do; if a kid, say De La Rose or Andrighetto, forces his way onto the team, figure out a way to work him in. Not only be meritocratic, but proactive and forward-thinking.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
You still think Habs are a better team? The better team doesn't always win BTW.

I think we match up well against the bruins.

And, there's the thing. Sometimes the better team doesn't always win. So, by that logic the Habs can win any playoff series even if the competition is "the better team"

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Maybe in a "one and done" "loser goes home" situation, yeah luck can be a factor. In a 7 game series, the better team is the winner.

No, the better team is not always the winner, even in a game 7 series. All you need is a team capable of sustaining pressure with amazing goaltending, and you can pull through a series win.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Contender in the East maybe.

But it's so tight 1 or 2 injuries and you can miss the playoffs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not even sure that we have a sure spot in the playoffs let alone being a contender.

It would be a major fail if we didn't make the POs. I don't see how anybody can put us out of the POs. We're not in the West.

I wouldn't say we're contenders but that's mainly because I'm not sure what will happen with Vanek-Gionta-Eller's contracts, and only 3 of our regular Dmen last year are signed.
So it's tough to know. If everybody comes back, then yes, we should be especially factoring in that our kids should improve.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
If you watched any west games this year, habs are FAR away from being contenders. Unless you think reaching the finals only to get ragdolled by one of the wests powerhouse teams is contending, sure.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Disagree. I still only think of Boston and then Pittsburgh as "contenders" in the East.

Habs and Rangers had nice little runs, but still lack elements and consistency. If they can have more convincing 100+-pt seasons and repeat their playoff runs next season, maybe they can join the club. Not yet.

Agree. Only Bos and Pitt would be a lock for a playoff spot. MTL is still a bubble team that will be fighting all season long to get back to the playoffs. The only thing we are contenders for is a playoff spot. Forget about this year playoff run because next season this team will again try and grind it out for playoff position.

Now of coarse this could change depending on what pieces MB adds before the season starts...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The X-factor is Bergevin. I get the feeling that there are myriad possibilities with him, and it's a lot of fun to behold.

What I hope is that he is self-correcting, and revisits the arch-conservatism with which the team has been managed. I hope that he provides MT feedback in this vein, on a regular basis, because I don't see MT as self-correcting to the same extent... I hope also that there is a lot of thought given to finding MT an assistant who thinks differently from him.

The team needs to be more meritocratic: if Beaulieu is getting it done, play him; if Subban is getting done, at an elite level no less, stop trying to reform him when a little tweak here and there will do; if a kid, say De La Rose or Andrighetto, forces his way onto the team, figure out a way to work him in. Not only be meritocratic, but proactive and forward-thinking.

The good news about Bergevin is that he seems to be self-correcting nicely. Last summer's ridiculous contract for Briere was his last real mistake. Since then, his pro scouting and subsequent trades have all been winners.

He's also the advocate of bringing up prospects, so expect to see a new face get some ice-time -- Andrighetto would be my guess -- along with full-time roles for Beaulieu and Tinordi. We desperately need the latter two for our D. The only reason both wouldn't play would be if we trade for an established top-four dman.

With Therrien's extension, don't expect to see him become more flexible. Quite the opposite. But yeah, it'll be very interesting to see who the assistant is and what his contribution becomes.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Will need to replace Vanek and get a top 4 dman. A lot of things went well last year... If nothing really happens over the summer, I think it will be a struggle to make the playoffs.

Agree. Only Bos and Pitt would be a lock for a playoff spot. MTL is still a bubble team that will be fighting all season long to get back to the playoffs. The only thing we are contenders for is a playoff spot. Forget about this year playoff run because next season this team will again try and grind it out for playoff position.

Now of coarse this could change depending on what pieces MB adds before the season starts...

I think these kind of gloomy predictions are ridiculous -- the kind of anti-Montreal nonsense we hear from Leafs fans. Habs may not be among the elite, but they're beyond having to prove themselves as a playoff team. They're in the top-10 in the league, which is where they've finished the last two seasons. Not quite a contender, but better than a bubble team.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I think these kind of gloomy predictions are ridiculous -- the kind of anti-Montreal nonsense we hear from Leafs fans. Habs may not be among the elite, but they're beyond having to prove themselves as a playoff team. They're in the top-10 in the league, which is where they've finished the last two seasons. Not quite a contender, but better than a bubble team.

It's reality not gloom and doom. With the salary cap there are so many teams that could finish 3rd to 12th....insult me all you want.
Are depth on the 3rd and 4th lines have really improved since MB has taken over. We still need elite talent on our top 6. If we have any key injures like we did in 2012 our depth with top 6 forwards and top d-man is not there yet.
MB keeps adding pieces and he will be the first to tell you that next season we are in for a battle....did you not listen to his end of the season speech???
MB quote "We're a good young team, but we're not a 'guaranteed playoff' team yet."

So I guess MB speaks nonsense and must be a leaf fan ;)

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
As of today, I disagree. It really depends on free agency, our current lineup is full of holes and uncertainties...

We're not far however, if Bergy gives us a team as good or better than the one who finished in the conf finals then yes we have a contender.

We need -

-A key top6 forward (Vanek, or whoever replaces Vanek. preferably a goal scorer). Someone also needs to replace Gionta's role on the 2nd line. Even if he's re-signed, he's not a top6 forward anymore. Bourque is also a huge ''?''. If nothing changes and Vanek isn't re-signed then we have a **** forward group.

-To fix holes on defense. I like Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn's potential but we can't go in the season with all 3 in the top6. Acquiring a legit top4 defensemen that can eat lots of quality minutes would go a long way in helping.

If we don't replace Vanek and if we come into the season rolling Subban-Markov-Gorges-Beaulieu-Tinordi-Pateryn then we're not contenders. I'm confident Bergevin will address the issues however, just ask the question again in a few days.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Disagree. In fact, there are very few contenders and one could argue that Boston is the only true contender in the East. Pittsburgh relies too much on Malkin and Crosby to be healthy to be considered one IMO.

It's getting there though. This team is built around Price (26) and Subban (25) and it's a great sign. If Galchenyuk becomes to player projected we've got ourselves the base of any contenders which is : franchise goaltender, #1 defenseman and #1 center.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Disagree. The habs are not quite there in terms of top 4 d-men. Beaulieu and tinordi's development will play a big role in whether these holes can be plugged in the next couple seasons.

The top 6 is not quite deep enough, nor rugged enough.

I consider the habs just a notch below the real contenders (most of which belong to the western conference)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree we have a better roster than that but our coach is seriously holding us back. That has to be factored into the equation. Last season we shouldn't have made the playoffs based on team play. Goaltending is the only reason we got there. This team is more talented than its shown.

I think with Beaulieu in the lineup our D will be vastly improved this season. I think it will be much, much better than last year and that's a huge plus. We definitely need help on the wings though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad