Confirmed with Link: Habs Acquire Nicolas Beaudin From Chicago In Exchange For Cam Hillis

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Net result of this trade now and in the future, zero. Swap for parts and no real chance of impacting either big club. Depth for the minors.

Love how they use the term "diminutive" to describe him and he's 5'11".

I'd love to hear their comment on Hutson being "microscopic" :laugh:
and a heavy 168 lbs lol

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Doubt it.. nothing but rave reviews of his character when in the OHL.

Houle just didn't want another young player.
Guys, we had too many forwards in Laval and not enough D. This helps in a small way. And we add another first rounder to our stable, lol.

Ranger12

Jul 29, 2021
Was this part of the same deal?

To start things off, Riley McKay was shipped from the Rockford IceHogs (an affiliate of the Blackhawks) to the Rocket de Laval (an affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens).

McKay, 23, split his time between Rockford and the Indy Fuel of the ECHL over the past two years, including the beginning of the current campaign. He managed to score just one point in 16 games for the IceHogs before his being dealt.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Was this part of the same deal?

To start things off, Riley McKay was shipped from the Rockford IceHogs (an affiliate of the Blackhawks) to the Rocket de Laval (an affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens).

McKay, 23, split his time between Rockford and the Indy Fuel of the ECHL over the past two years, including the beginning of the current campaign. He managed to score just one point in 16 games for the IceHogs before his being dealt.

No. Two separate deals.

1- Beaudin for Hillis
2 - McKay for future considerations.

Surely negotiated at the same time. But they're separate.

Reactions: Ranger12

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Hillis was not really good last year for the Lions. He was getting better this year, time to sell high, I guess...

Reactions: Milhouse40

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So that guy Houle that coaches Laval... is he any good? Sounds like Rocket sucks... What makes him better than Levebvre?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Do we have a n organizational need for dmen? When Matheson and Edmundson come back, I don't know what we'll do with Harris and Xhekaj. I hope keep them on the NHL. But that means Schuneman and one of Kovacevic or Wideman go down to Laval...
Kovasevic I believe would have to go through waivers and I doubt he would clear.

So that guy Houle that coaches Laval... is he any good? Sounds like Rocket sucks... What makes him better than Levebvre?
Houle I have mixed feelings about but he is better at helping develop young players. LeFebvre did not understand that concept.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's something we should see more going forward, we have just too much prospects and some position will get too crowded and we'll need to move on some for other needs.

But this is an AHL trade in my book.....Beaudin won't crack a D with Edmundson, Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj on the left side. Even Harris can go back left.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kovasevic I believe would have to go through waivers and I doubt he would clear.

Houle I have mixed feelings about but he is better at helping develop young players. LeFebvre did not understand that concept.
yeah for me it's clear Kovasevic stays at least as #7 if not in the top 6, and Wideman goes down (assuming we're keeping only 7 D up, given how many forwards we have).

At any rate a lot can happen between now and when Matheson is ready to come back...

Reactions: Tyson

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I don't get it from the Hawks perspective. Giving away a well established AHL player with a little NHL potential, in return for a ECHL player with AHL potential? Are they also trying to tank in the AHL?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Two years ago?
I'm just saying, you can't pin that one solely on JF Houle. Bouchard also wasn't a big fan of Hillis, and most on here (including yours truly) are big fans of Bouchard.

I don't get it from the Hawks perspective. Giving away a well established AHL player with a little NHL potential, in return for a ECHL player with AHL potential? Are they also trying to tank in the AHL?

Seems to me it's a trade to accomodate both players. Hillis wanted to play in the AHL, and Beaudin might have wanted to play closer to home.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

To some Hillis still has NHL potential. He's just off to a slow pro start and/or got a raw deal from Habs management/Laval coaches.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To some Hillis still has NHL potential. He's just off to a slow pro start and/or got a raw deal from Habs management/Laval coaches.

he's only played 60 games at the pro level, and in the AHL he was on the 4th line. Now was he on the 4th line because he's not that good or did they just misuse him. He's always been undersized while not speedy like say Byron so that was a concern as well. Time will tell if he can get back on track, on the other hand there's tons of former CHLers that were top players in the CHL but struggled at the pro level.

I have to say I'm surprised, I haven't seen him in the ECHL and at times in Laval he was good, other times just ok and other times just not very good but he also didn't get much TOI which makes it tougher for sure. Still with his playmaking I thought he would be a solid AHLer at worst.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
It was dirt cheap, and he can play right side too. It's not a BarginBin move ala Ott/Martinsen/D.King. At the very least Beaudin will help in Laval. It's more than fine, and it's contract vs contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad