Confirmed with Link: Habs Acquire Nicolas Beaudin From Chicago In Exchange For Cam Hillis

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It was dirt cheap, and he can play right side too. It's not a BarginBin move ala Ott/Martinsen/D.King. At the very least Beaudin will help in Laval. It's more than fine, and it's contract vs contract.
It's more than fine. Hillis was going nowhere. Beaudin is a former 1st round pick with some NHL games. Both have their ELCs expire this year.

Last edited:

Alexandre Magny

Apr 27, 2019
On a rien donné ( Hillis) pour Beaudin donc le trade est bon surtout que Beaudin a plus de 20 games d'expérience LNH et a un peu d'expérience AHL mais si Chicago à démisionné sur le kid à seulement 23 ans et qu'il n'a coûté que Hillis qui jouait dans la ECHL il ne faut pas s'attendre non plus à des miracles mais dans le pire des cas si il devient un bon joueur AHL ce sera déjà ça de pris et tant mieux si il nous surprend

Je viens de Drummondville et je suivais beaucoup les volts il y a quelques années et perso j'ai été surpris de le voir sortir en 1st round , je le voyais beaucoup plus sortir en fin de 2ème début 3ème mais bon.

Reactions: Bacchus1

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Hope Hillis finds his game and gets a shot in Chi, always liked him as a long term prospect ...

Beaudin has higher ceiling for both AHL & NHL, unlikely to hit NHL one but worth the kick at the can
If he turns out to be a younger Xavier Ouellet, it still beats having Hillis for another 6 months then gone.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
he's only played 60 games at the pro level, and in the AHL he was on the 4th line. Now was he on the 4th line because he's not that good or did they just misuse him. He's always been undersized while not speedy like say Byron so that was a concern as well. Time will tell if he can get back on track, on the other hand there's tons of former CHLers that were top players in the CHL but struggled at the pro level.

I have to say I'm surprised, I haven't seen him in the ECHL and at times in Laval he was good, other times just ok and other times just not very good but he also didn't get much TOI which makes it tougher for sure. Still with his playmaking I thought he would be a solid AHLer at worst.
With the drafting of Beck and Mesar and the growing emergence of Mysak, Hillis was now far down on the team’s depth chart at centre. Its a ‘good’ , if not inconsequential, trade for the team.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
On a rien donné ( Hillis) pour Beaudin donc le trade est bon surtout que Beaudin a plus de 20 games d'expérience LNH et a un peu d'expérience AHL mais si Chicago à démisionné sur le kid à seulement 23 ans et qu'il n'a coûté que Hillis qui jouait dans la ECHL il ne faut pas s'attendre non plus à des miracles mais dans le pire des cas si il devient un bon joueur AHL ce sera déjà ça de pris et tant mieux si il nous surprend

Je viens de Drummondville et je suivais beaucoup les volts il y a quelques années et perso j'ai été surpris de le voir sortir en 1st round , je le voyais beaucoup plus sortir en fin de 2ème début 3ème mais bon.

We gave nothing and got nothing. It's neither a good or a bad trade. The type of trades journalists, RDA, TVA and fans talk too much about. KH moved Hillis cause there was no place for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That’s the one who goes.

Wideman won't go to Laval. He's going to be the spare guy playing in some games (once Eddy and Matheson play).

Wideman is a good depth piece. Just not a good full time piece. Other young guys will be sent to Laval so they play games. Makes no sense to have a young kid sit in a depth role.

We gave nothing and got nothing. It's neither a good or a bad trade. The type of trades journalists, RDA, TVA and fans talk too much about. KH moved Hillis cause there was no place for him.

Yeah, it's basically a depth move for AHL rosters with a glimmer of hope they still have development and could be a NHL asset.

At this point, I would put Beaudin ahead of Hillis so it appears to be a good depth trade. Laval can use some D upgrades. So I guess in terms of AHL standards, it was a good move for the Habs. Beaudin being a former 1st rounder means nothing at this stage.

Reactions: Runner77 and LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Wideman won't go to Laval. He's going to be the spare guy playing in some games (once Eddy and Matheson play).

Wideman is a good depth piece. Just not a good full time piece. Other young guys will be sent to Laval so they play games. Makes no sense to have a young kid sit in a depth role.

Yeah, it's basically a depth move for AHL rosters with a glimmer of hope they still have development and could be a NHL asset.

At this point, I would put Beaudin ahead of Hillis so it appears to be a good depth trade. Laval can use some D upgrades. So I guess in terms of AHL standards, it was a good move for the Habs. Beaudin being a former 1st rounder means nothing at this stage.

I guess you could say it's a good AHL trade yes i agree.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I prefer Kovacevic to Wideman, and I think we're only keeping 7D up.

Having said that, I'd send Dadonov and Hoffman to Laval before Wideman.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad