Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I think Danault will come down and we will sign him reasonably. I also think Tatar would take a discount with us because he seems to love it here(of course I though the same with Radulov). I don't know about Armia and I think Lehkonen will get less than his current contract. I don't think Kotkaniemi will get a crazy raise unless he really takes off this year. Not to mention that Seattle will take Chiarot/Edmundson.

We could realistically resign Danault and Tatar assuming they don't want to break the bank next year. Hopefully we get Poehling and Caufield performing well to have some ELCs in the lineup.

Tartar is gone, why would he stick around when the coach will not put him in the lineup ahead of players like Evans (no disrespect)
Danault's stock rose considerably in the playoff and while he has been a good defensive center (faceoffs excluded); his highest goals in a season is 14; 3 @$5 million AAV or let him walk.
Armia; doen nothing particularly well; reminds me a lot of Eller, the parts are greater than the sum; and the sum shows up 20-25% of the time.... let him walk.
Byron, while expensive is a true warrior and a leader who imo is a top PK in the league with is speed which shows no signs of slowing down.
KK and Leky wil get signed.

The wild card is who the Kraken take, but I expect Begy to find a puck moving dman either in our prospect pool or on the UFA market and on decent secondary scorer at a reasonable price.

Also unknown is what will happen to Drouin?? trade or will he retire due to his issues?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
here's a breakdown of what we are looking at cap wise assuming the cap stays at 81.5M,

If Drouin is back,

Tof Suzuki CC
Drouin Evans Gallagher
Byron xxxx Anderson

Edmundson Petry
Chiarot Weber
Romanov Kulak

Price
Allen

Alzner buyout -1.958333M

that's 16 players that would give us 14,671,191M in cap space.

Now we lose 1 player via expansion so that adds between 2.875M if it's Allen, 3.5M if it's Chiarot and 5.5M if it's Drouin. So we depending on who we lose in the expansion and what the UFA/RFA's get and who is let go shows that we could be in really tight spot cap wise if KK, Leks, Danault, Perry, Armia are back and eat up around 14M, leaving us with around say 500-700K plus the contract we lose in the expansion draft and we would be at 20 players.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Really hoping danault is willing to sign short term for more money. Like a 2 year - 6.5 mill contract then flip him at the trade deadline (if Habs aren't doing well) while retaining 50% of his cap for nice assets also gives insurance for Poehling if he needs more time to develop. I'd rather Habs Pay more short term than keep paying long term

Last edited:
Reactions: calder candidate

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Really hoping danault is willing to sign short term for more money. Like a 2 year - 6.5 mill contract then flip him at the trade deadline (if Habs aren't doing well) while retaining 50% of his cap for nice assets also gives insurance for Poehling if he needs more time to develop. I'd rather Habs Pat more short term than keep paying long term

why would he do that? I could see a 1 year show me deal if he felt his numbers were bad this year but would rebound over a full 82 normal schedule next year, it would be risky though but he might want to bet on himself. I would be surprised if he did that, would be shocked if he signs anything under 5 years.

Reactions: Benstheman

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Now we lose 1 player via expansion so that adds between 2.875M if it's Allen, 3.5M if it's Chiarot and 5.5M if it's Drouin. So we depending on who we lose in the expansion and what the UFA/RFA's get and who is let go shows that we could be in really tight spot cap wise if KK, Leks, Danault, Perry, Armia are back and eat up around 14M, leaving us with around say 500-700K plus the contract we lose in the expansion draft and we would be at 20 players.

I don't think these 5 will eat more than 12M. Getting an extra 2M will be quite valuable. Added to the contract we lose in the expansion draft it could mean Bergevin will have the space to add a solid player this summer, preferably a top-4 puck moving D

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
why would he do that? I could see a 1 year show me deal if he felt his numbers were bad this year but would rebound over a full 82 normal schedule next year, it would be risky though but he might want to bet on himself. I would be surprised if he did that, would be shocked if he signs anything under 5 years.

That's why there's hope on my part involved. He almost certainly won't but there's always an outside chance of anything happening. If signed long term though it makes having Poehling redundant. Can't expect him to sit in the minors until he's 25 or play bottom six wing with almost no chance of becoming a Top 9 C on the habs

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I agree with the 5 years min deal. In fact, a good way to manage the Danault situation would be to give him longer term to lower is cap hit for now. I would go the 5M$ for 5 or even 6 years for him. I’m pretty sure we still need him for at least 2 years and I’m pretty sure is value will still be good in 2-3 years, on post-COVID cap era. So my way to manage him would be to sign him long term without clause or minimal clause and trade him in 2-3 years for good return when Suzuki, KK, Evans and Poehling are mature.

As for Poehling, he will have a spot next year, probably as a lw to replace Tatar. And if Drouin goes in the expansion draft, you get the space to trade/sign for a top 6 winger. The tough decision will be what to do with Armia. Personally I definitely sign him. But he might price himself out of Montreal. If he asks for more than 3M$, he is gone I think.

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin/top6-KK-Anderson
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher
Poehling-Evans-Perry
Byron

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Going into the 2021/22 season this is how we're currently set up:

I'll attach some screenshots from Cap Friendly to give everyone a better idea of where we're at.

PROJECTED CAP HIT $70,827,975

PROJECTED LTIR USED : $0

PROJECTED CAP SPACE : $10,672,025

PROJECTED SALARY CAP : $81,500,000

Expected Draft Picks in 2021: (Round 1) 30, (Round 2) 62 and 63, (Round 3) 75 and 86,
(Round 4) 112 125 and 126, (Round 5) 141, (Round 6) 190, (Round 7) 222

upload_2021-7-4_12-1-31.png

upload_2021-7-4_12-1-50.png

upload_2021-7-4_12-2-8.png

upload_2021-7-4_12-12-37.png

When we really look into it, it's gonna take some creativity to bring back Danault over 5mil.

UFA: Danault, Staal, Perry, Armia, Frolik, Tatar, Merrill, Gustafsson
RFA: Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Leskinen, Fleury, Poehling

Another thing to keep in mind, we will be losing 1 player due to the Seattle Expansion Draft. Given we have so many picks, we can maybe workout a deal with the Kraken to choose (Insert Name Here).

I don't think they're picking Drouin, he's going through something serious and it doesn't make sense for us to not protect him. He's incredibly talented and a line of him Suzuki and Caufield can be sooo good. Can we just imagine the chances he would get Caufield. This would allow us to play Kotkaniemi with Toffoli which showed a lot of promise at the beginning of last year.

To demonstrate this graphically, we have 10.6 (+ the cap hit of whoever Seattle picks) to fill this out(but also keep in mind we'll be losing someone from this line most likely). I'm just putting these lines together as an example

Drouin - Suzuki - Caufield
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
? - ? - Anderson
? - Evans - ?

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - ?
Kulak - Ouellet

Price
Allen
Primeau

I'm sorry for the long message as well

Reactions: Supersonic

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Does that take into account the $2M relief to be gained next season from Alzner buyout?

Additionally it’s likely Poehling earns a spot (ELC) and potentially one of Chiarot / Edmundson are claimed thus freeing up an additional $3.5M

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
if you look a few posts up I already showed where we are at in cap space based off signed players currently on the team.

We will lose one player in just over 2 weeks so that will add to the 14,671,191M in cap space. Drouin is the other question mark, if he's not going to play next then that would add 5.5M as he would stay on LTIR. So still some big questions for MB that I'm sure they are looking closely at despite being in the finals.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So if Drouin stays on LTIR we have around 20m?

if you look a few posts up I already showed where we are at in cap space based off signed players currently on the team.

We will lose one player in just over 2 weeks so that will add to the 14,671,191M in cap space. Drouin is the other question mark, if he's not going to play next then that would add 5.5M as he would stay on LTIR. So still some big questions for MB that I'm sure they are looking closely at despite being in the finals.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
So if Drouin stays on LTIR we have around 20m?
Which is a good place to be, but I'd try to move his contract, I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on him being on the ltir. I don't want hi on the team. The cap savings is way more useful.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I'll attach some screenshots from Cap Friendly to give everyone a better idea of where we're at.

Expected Draft Picks in 2021: (Round 1) 30, (Round 2) 62 and 63, (Round 3) 75 and 86,

View attachment 451222
View attachment 451223
View attachment 451224
View attachment 451225

When we really look into it, it's gonna take some creativity to bring back Danault over 5mil.

Another thing to keep in mind, we will be losing 1 player due to the Seattle Expansion Draft. Given we have so many picks, we can maybe workout a deal with the Kraken to choose (Insert Name Here).

I don't think they're picking Drouin, he's going through something serious and it doesn't make sense for us to not protect him. He's incredibly talented and a line of him Suzuki and Caufield can be sooo good. Can we just imagine the chances he would get Caufield. This would allow us to play Kotkaniemi with Toffoli which showed a lot of promise at the beginning of last year.

To demonstrate this graphically, we have 10.6 (+ the cap hit of whoever Seattle picks) to fill this out(but also keep in mind we'll be losing someone from this line most likely). I'm just putting these lines together as an example

? - ? - Anderson
? - Evans - ?

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - ?
Kulak - Ouellet

Price
Allen
Primeau

Just as a note capfriendly has guys like Dauphin, Vejdemo, Ylönen who probably won't be on the team so there's a little more space. It's also unlikely we go 8 D and 3 G. If Allen isn't taken by Seattle then Primeau will be in the AHL especially since he doesn't have to pass through waivers.

So we are really looking at about 22m-23m (Depending on who Seattle takes, assuming either Chiarot or Allen) with 8 spots to fill. It's probably safe to assume the 13th/14th forwards will make less then 1m each so we are at 6 spots and 20-21m. If Drouin is back then it's 15m for 5 spots.

expy

Nov 2, 2010

View attachment 451222
View attachment 451223
View attachment 451224
View attachment 451225

? - ? - Anderson
? - Evans - ?

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - ?
Kulak - Ouellet

Price
Allen
Primeau

I know it's for demo purposes but that roster is abysmal.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

The only problem with regards Drouin is that you cannot put him on LTIR before the season starts, or you are unable to accrue cap space over the course of the season. This means that you cannot use his cap relief until after the season starts. The only solution to that, is if you are bringing back Danault, you get him to agree to signing the contract after the season starts. This lets the team use the Danault money to fill the roster, and the Drouin money to sign Danault.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

View attachment 451222
View attachment 451223
View attachment 451224
View attachment 451225

? - ? - Anderson
? - Evans - ?

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - ?
Kulak - Ouellet

Price
Allen
Primeau

Drouin? I hope he’s getting the help he needs to be healthy. Not sure we see him with the habs, let alone top 6. He doesn’t deserve to play with Suzuki and Caufield needs a physical guy to create space.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Tartar is gone, why would he stick around when the coach will not put him in the lineup ahead of players like Evans (no disrespect)
Danault's stock rose considerably in the playoff and while he has been a good defensive center (faceoffs excluded); his highest goals in a season is 14; 3 @$5 million AAV or let him walk.
Armia; doen nothing particularly well; reminds me a lot of Eller, the parts are greater than the sum; and the sum shows up 20-25% of the time.... let him walk.
Byron, while expensive is a true warrior and a leader who imo is a top PK in the league with is speed which shows no signs of slowing down.
KK and Leky wil get signed.

The wild card is who the Kraken take, but I expect Begy to find a puck moving dman either in our prospect pool or on the UFA market and on decent secondary scorer at a reasonable price.

Also unknown is what will happen to Drouin?? trade or will he retire due to his issues?

We missed Eller when we traded him and we will miss Armia too. We don't have a guy that can replace him. If price and term are right, he must stay.

I think Seattle will take one of Byron, Lehkonen or Evans. We will protect 8FD/1G. My preference is we let them have Byron or Evans and since Lehky is one year off of UFA and arbitration eligible, I think that's very possible. Poehling needs a spot for next season, so it won't be a big hit. I don't think JD gets protected as it would be idiocy for Seattle to take him without knowledge of the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00