Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Need to let Danault walk. If they sign him he's just too much of a safety blanket for coaches and we're going to use KK as a 3C for a 4th year in a row.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
Posted it in the Ikonen thread, but Joni has confirmed that the Habs will not sign him before June 1st before they lose his rights.
I believe both Leguerrier and Ruscheinski have to be signed today, right?

Any confirmation on Leguerrier? I obviously don’t expect Ruscheinski to be signed

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
LeGuerrier did okay with Laval the few games they played him . Nothing special enough to be worth an ELC though.

Maybe they offer him an AHL deal (I believe he needs to re-enter the draft first).

I remember them doing that with Josiah Didier back in the days.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Maybe they offer him an AHL deal (I believe he needs to re-enter the draft first).

I remember them doing that with Josiah Didier back in the days.
They could, he didn't look too out of place like I said, there's some moderate potential there. I'm pretty sure he'd take that offer too, it's probably as good as he'll get. 70k is good money for most people, heck it's more money than I'm making that's for sure !

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Tatar, Drouin, Armia, Merril, Staal, Gustafsson, Byron...

That's a lot of money we can get rid off

Danault needs an extension
Petry's extension will kick in.
Suzuki extension is coming.
Kotkaniemi extension required.

Tatar won't be re-signed, that's fine that still needs to be replaced.
Drouin would be a money out - money in situation only as he's a completely undesirable asset with a big cap hit for little production in a flat cap.
Armia would need to be replaced, you're saving barely anything on a replacement.
Byron would be a cap dump and an expensive one at that, doubt they do that.

Merril, Staal and Gustafsson are all retained salaries and need to be replaced in the line-up, savings are miniscule.

There's not as much room as you think.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Danault needs an extension
Petry's extension will kick in.
Suzuki extension is coming.
Kotkaniemi extension required.

Tatar won't be re-signed, that's fine that still needs to be replaced.
Drouin would be a money out - money in situation only as he's a completely undesirable asset with a big cap hit for little production in a flat cap.
Armia would need to be replaced, you're saving barely anything on a replacement.
Byron would be a cap dump and an expensive one at that, doubt they do that.

Merril, Staal and Gustafsson are all retained salaries and need to be replaced in the line-up, savings are miniscule.

There's not as much room as you think.

Still I think we can make space for a decent addition

Armia can easily be replaced by Ylonen

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It will likely be very tight next year depending on what happens with Danault, the expansion draft, etc....

We should have around 11M before the expansion draft but Danault/KK I assume will eat up a chunk of that.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
You can't count on Ylonen though, he's got 30 games in North America under his belt, he should be in Laval next year unless he has a great camp.

You can't count on Armia for sh*t either... So what's your point?

I'd rather have a guy with upside who makes less than 1M$ a year than Armia at 2,6 M$/year

That's how you make space on your cap (by bringing youngsters in)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You can't count on Armia for sh*t either... So what's your point?

I'd rather have a guy with upside who makes less than 1M$ a year than Armia at 2,6 M$/year

That's how you make space on your cap (by bringing youngsters in)

You can certainly count on Armia way more then Ylonen who you don't want to rush to the NHL like every other prospect under MB.

You bring in young cheap players when they are ready or you don't bring them at all imo. Development is more important then cap space imo, just wish MB thought that way.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know most won't likely it but I would consider bringing back Gustafsson as the 7th D next year if he would sign for the 1.5M contract he signed. He could help the PP if used against the weaker teams next year. He had 12 pts in 29 games this year, which over 82 is good for 34 pts.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Don't get why some people are saying Tatar needs to be replaced. We have Caufield now. We have a full top-6 with Suzuki/KK/Caufield/Gallagher/Toffoli/Anderson and a solid 3rd line (Danault, Evans, Lehkonen). That's not even counting Drouin and Armia.

On the 4th line you've got Byron, Poehling, Perry, Belzile, Vejdemo and whoever.

(I know some of these guys need new contracts like Lehky, Danault, Perry but I'm assuming it gets done, Armia is less sure)

If we have 5-6 million in cap space after signing everybody we need to put it towards a top-4 puck moving defenseman, not a Tatar replacement.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Assuming it might look like last off-season with lots of late opportunities to fill out our roster with very affordable depth players (i.e. Perry / Frolik). However, Seattle and 23 new roster spots might challenge my thinking.

Hoping Bergevin can free up cap space Tatar / Armia / Staal / Merrill / Gustafsson / Lindgren / Weal / Frolik / Expansion Pick and use it for a sweet opportunity like Tofolli or how Vancouver got Schmidt - that might emerge because other teams are tight against the cap.

Reactions: NA Scouting

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
@BigDaddyLurch Why not Saad and Hyman? If we don't bring back Danault and Tatar we could potentially fit both guys in 6.5m for Saad and 5m for Hyman. we would be stacked on both left and right wing. They would also add size too. I only posted here because I knew the mods would move my post here from the Drouin thread lol.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
@BigDaddyLurch Why not Saad and Hyman? If we don't bring back Danault and Tatar we could potentially fit both guys in 6.5m for Saad and 5m for Hyman. we would be stacked on both left and right wing. They would also add size too. I only posted here because I knew the mods would move my post here from the Drouin thread lol.
My god Saad is not worth 6.5m and Hyman is not even close to be worth that. Those are secondary line players which we are already full of them

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Don't get why some people are saying Tatar needs to be replaced. We have Caufield now. We have a full top-6 with Suzuki/KK/Caufield/Gallagher/Toffoli/Anderson and a solid 3rd line (Danault, Evans, Lehkonen). That's not even counting Drouin and Armia.

On the 4th line you've got Byron, Poehling, Perry, Belzile, Vejdemo and whoever.

(I know some of these guys need new contracts like Lehky, Danault, Perry but I'm assuming it gets done, Armia is less sure)

If we have 5-6 million in cap space after signing everybody we need to put it towards a top-4 puck moving defenseman, not a Tatar replacement.
Caufield Gallagher and Anderson are all RW.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

I didn't mention Hyman cuz I think the Laffs will do whatever it takes to resign him and that means overpay...with Saad, I'm kinda on the fence with him; he can disappear for weeks, just like Drouin, and we don't need another ghost...I honestly value a guy like Granlund above all them; 200ft player, can play all 3 forward positions, forechecks hard, has that underlying offensive talent...I would have loved him this year before Smashville resigned him on the cheap...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00