Post-Game Talk: Habs 1 - Leafs 0.5

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
That 3 vs 3 in overtime already showed a flaw with it. It was not really hockey play but more like a basketball isolation play with one player over matching the other. Van Reimsdyk was isolated one on one against Weise skating backwards. It was no contest and he went right around him.

I think there will be more shenanigans and isolation plays like this especially once the coaches get used to it.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Habs have so much depth on D they should consider trading Gilbert. Pateryn is ready for #6 spot and Tinordi could benefit from practicing with NHL players. Barberio would be a great 1st call up
What do you suggest we trade him for? Are you one of those people who want to trade our assets for draft picks?

If when there are injured players these draft picks are useless to us.

Last edited:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Kapanen, Nylander and Marner are all better than Habs prospects. Maybe Scherbak can be as effective as Kapanen, but right now Kapanen has the edge.

Our big three is McCarron, Hudon and Scherbak. I like them, but it doesn't compare to Toront.

Our NHL line up is young and way better than their though.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Kapanen, Nylander and Marner are all better than Habs prospects. Maybe Scherbak can be as effective as Kapanen, but right now Kapanen has the edge.

Our big three is McCarron, Hudon and Scherbak. I like them, but it doesn't compare to Toront.

On what basis do you say that?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Well McCarron can beat the **** out of all of them, so Habs win.

rabbit4949

Apr 1, 2013
That 3 vs 3 in overtime already showed a flaw with it. It was not really hockey play but more like a basketball isolation play with one player over matching the other. Van Reimsdyk was isolated one on one against Weise skating backwards. It was no contest and he went right around him.

I think there will be more shenanigans and isolation plays like this especially once the coaches get used to it.

Shenanigans, really? This is the essence of coaching. Coaches try to create odd-man situations all of the time. That is how they get scoring chances.Are breakaway outlet passes shenanigans? What about 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 rushes? If JVR is 1 on 1 with a forward while 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 is the result any different? A bad line change is a bad line change no matter what the circumstances. However it would be nice to see the oncoming forward take more than 2 strides and then coast to the blueline.Even if there is absolutely zero chance of getting in on the play at least make an effort. If JVR loses control of the puck there would be only blue shirts there to pick it up. One other poster stated that he was a traditionalist and did not like 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 but did not mind the shoot-out.So essentially he does not like to play 1 man short on each side or 2 men short on each side but does not mind playing 5 men short on each side.I guess hockey is like Christmas , we all have our own traditions.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Very impressed by the D last night. We essentially had an AHL back end and they all played very well.

Why was Toronto allowed to fall on Condon 2-3 times?
(was that Barberio who didn't do anything?).

When are we going to start protecting our goalies? when they get a serious injury? (it'll be too late).

I only saw the highlights on CTV sports.

P.S.: JVR scored in overtime??! or was that a shootout?! (a little confused! will watch the game next time...easier that way!). EDIT: overtime didn't count...it was done for entertainment purposes,etc.

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Habs have so much depth on D they should consider trading Gilbert. Pateryn is ready for #6 spot and Tinordi could benefit from practicing with NHL players. Barberio would be a great 1st call up

1-2 injuries to our top 4 and we can be in a bit of trouble if we trade too many of our D. But...one dman can be traded (maybe) in a few months...Emelin's NTC contract opens up a bit in January, no? (he can be traded to 8-10 teams). He'll free up 4.1mil/year...Pateryn, Gilbert and Tinordi will all move up and our d-core just got a lot cheaper. Or...a trade will happen between one of Emelin or Gilbert?? We shall see. No matter...I'd keep our younger ones...Pateryn and Tinordi.

Barberio: I could be wrong, but wasn't Barberio (twice?) allowing Leaf players to fall on Condon without doing anything? Shouldn't our dmen make it difficult for opponents to crash and fall our goalies?

There will be injuries. Gilbert >> Tinordi & Barberio. Maybe at the deadline.

Exactly...we cannot assume everyone will be healthy for 82 games.
Injuries happen and it's good to have depth on D. Tinordi has to stay. He has to, imo. Give him time and...I betcha his confidence will slowly but surely bloom and then...watch out!! He will always be solid for our Pk and he should only improve at protecting our Price, Condon, and Tokarski.

:cheers:
I've also always loved Labatt 50's old school logo.
And for $17 for a 12 pack, you can't go wrong.
Haha!! Good 'ol Labatt 50 logo...definitely ''old-school'' (in a good way, imo).

Labatt 50...Fin du Monde (rarely but it has a unique taste)...Boreale doree...honey brown beer (or similar)...house red beer in most pubs...even Old Milwaukee (with the nice ladies on the cans!!)...I'll drink it all!! (pretty open with beer! but for some reason...not into Japanese beer, ex: Sapporo).

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Why was Toronto allowed to fall on Condon 2-3 times?
(was that Barberio who didn't do anything?).

When are we going to start protecting our goalies? when they get a serious injury? (it'll be too late).

I only saw the highlights on CTV sports.

P.S.: JVR scored in overtime??! or was that a shootout?! (a little confused! will watch the game next time...easier that way!).

Scored in OT.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
It'll be interesting to see how much of a trend it'll be over the rest of the season, esp. that junior leagues tend to emulate NHL guidelines as a general rule.

Ya there were some good fights and even in the Knights home opener Fri night there were a good 3 or 4 fights.

Foltronic

Jan 21, 2015
We'll see...
How many of these games are ending in the first minute or first or second shift?
Get the right combo out immediately or pay the piper. :amazed:
Never liked the idea of 4-4 but got used to it over time.
Loathe the shootout...
3 on 3 yikes

Yeah, this was more of an exercise in showing that we have options. Load up for sure in the first minute or two.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Scored in OT.

Overtime didn't count since it was 1-0 for our Habs...just to make sure! (I only watched the quick highlights on the news!).
Cheers!

Condon:
love what I'm reading here (and seeing in quick highlights).
Good for Condon and our Habs. I hope Condon is a playoff warrior (in case Price ever gets injured before or during playoffs).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All those Laff players falling on Condon accidentally-on-purpose, became disconcerting, especially someone like Komarov who has a reputation and in fact, he did it a couple of times. What was even more disturbing was that no one outside of McCarron did anything about it. McCarron's retaliation involved doing the same to Reimer but unlike our patsies, Laffs players gave him some pushback.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'm glad Toronto has a few good prospects. It's time they become relevent again, they havent been ever since I started following hockey. I dont even hate them anymore.

And on the other hand we can witness the fall of the Boston Bruins, so it's all good.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
In Kassian's defence, he was fighting a 6ft4 220 heavyweight goon in a astronaut costume. He just needs to make better decisions regarding who he fights. At least he showed everyone he's not a *****.

I rather he didn't fight but if he has to, Kassian need to strap is helmet correctly I've seen him in 7-10 fights he loses is helmet in the first few seconds... Getting punch it the back of the head hurt, punching a helmet hurt... The guy that loses is helmet is at a hugh disadvantage, if he did that he might fair better in is fights.

YYZviaYUL

Aug 9, 2014
Didn't watch the game.. Had a lame dinner I had to go to.

Seeing the comments, it looks like I had a better time at the dinner than those who watched the game.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

Well, there IS a difference between picking in the top 5/10 and in the late 20s at best. There is very little chance that any of our current prospect can ever compare to what these guys will accomplish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad