News Article: Guy Lafleur: Brendan Gallagher should be MTL's next captain

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I would not give PK the C. He's way to emotional on the ice to be that guy.

I used to be on the PK for C bandwagon but I don't think he should have it either. I thought he would calm down a bit on the ice with the C, and then I realized I want him overly emotional. That's when he's at his best.

Gally for C! 4 As until he's ready

dreamingofdrouin*

I think we should name our captain right before the playoffs start next year. And I think it will probabley be max pacioretty.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I think Gallagher will be the future captain but he's simply too young at the moment and the team doesn't want to put any more pressure on his back for the time being. Let the kid develop his game, he may have yet to reach his ceiling. Once he does reach that ceiling not only will he be the same Gallagher we all know and love, but he'll have a more complete game than ever.

I think Plekanec should get the C for this transition personally. Even though his stats don't show much for the playoffs his defensive missions out there are pretty tough to handle and he does well. Hard to expect ppg out of the guy when he's busy shutting down some of the best players in the league each night in the playoffs.

Pacioretty on the other hand has little excuse for his lack of production and scoring goals is what he's paid to do. I wouldn't give him the C until he can score a lot more in the playoffs. He's gotten a lot better overall but until he can lead by example in crucial playoff games I don't think he deserves the C more than a guy like Subban.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
I think we should name our captain right before the playoffs start next year. And I think it will probabley be max pacioretty.

Pacioretty read the book written by Gorges "how to be a captain". He'd be a bad choice, i dont like his 'cute' and predetermined answers.

Plekanec should be traded. I dont want this guy as our captain. Softest playoff player ever.

We need someone with balls, charisma. Who can elevate his play come playoffs time. A guy who can chat with players around the league and invite them to join our club when theyr are UFAs.

Subban now. Galchenyuk and Gallagher later.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Gallagher has the heart and soul to be a captain but the captain is the guy that is responsible for comminicating with the referees on any questionable calls that happen on the ice. Gallagher and the referees don't always get along :)

Pacioretty deserves the C IMO

PricePkPatch*

Subban now. Galchenyuk and Gallagher later.

If Subban gets the C, it'll be for a decade at least

Mark my words. The next captain will remain there for a long while. I am not surprised they are taking their time.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
If Subban gets the C, it'll be for a decade at least

Mark my words. The next captain will remain there for a long while. I am not surprised they are taking their time.

The RIGHT captain for this team is Subban imo...but I would bet money that they'll never give him the C. It'll be Pacioretty, and it's the WRONG choice imo.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I want the next captain to be our best player,the one that will guide us to our next cup, the one we turn to when we need that big goal or play to happen. Someone who brings prestige and is a legit star in the league. Gallagher is not that person, he's good but that's it.

Give the C to Subban and let's move on!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The captaincy will go to Pacioretty because he's the only big name on the team that has his nose in MT's camp.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
As much as I like Pacioretty, it should be Subban, and it's not particularly close.

Everything about his talent, character, and personality screams Montreal Canadiens captain.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Subban and Gallagher are made of the same stuff. Good luck choosing!

I don't think Gallagher has the "presence" or influence of a Subban or Pacioretty... And it's not particularly close either.

I think there's a downside to both PK and MaxPac as captains, but at the same time they're definitely the only two logical candidates in my mind, albeit for very different reasons. I think either would be fine at the end of the day.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
subban :laugh:

the guy who spends 10 minutes on the ice during the olympics then rushes into the team picture beside crosby like he was a hero

yeah right the guy would be ridiculous as captain of the habs

pacioretty, no, he's pulling a cammalleri and trying his best to get it but no

gallagher is the best choice, a true hockey player that never quits or disappears, but maybe in a year or 2 from now.. not yet

"PK, unfortunately you can't be captain because you were next to Crosby in a photo, sorry bud."

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I don't think Gallagher has the "presence" or influence of a Subban or Pacioretty... And it's not particularly close either.

I think there's a downside to both PK and MaxPac as captains, but at the same time they're definitely the only two logical candidates in my mind, albeit for very different reasons. I think either would be fine at the end of the day.

Put this little ****er in charge! :yo:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Put this little ****er in charge! :yo:

Would feel like Gionta 2.0 to me. Gallagher is great and all, but he's not "the" guy on this team, nor will he ever be.

Subban is the face of this franchise. He's the guy that always steps up and carries this team on the ice, minus Price, obviously. He's the guy that's always willing to take the blame when others give these robot like diplomatic answers to the media. He's the guy that led this team in playoff scoring 3 years in a row. He's the guy everyone turns to to address the media after a tough loss or a big win. Subban is the guy on this team.

My only concern: Does Subban really need an even bigger target on his back than he already has? There's post like the one made by The Doors I don't even dare to quote, what if he has the C on top of it? What will be the answer of the media and fans when he goes through a slump? People are already willing to crap on him the minute they get a chance, as demonstrated in his so called "slow start" to this season (a load crap, as far as I'm concerned). A large part of the fanbase are thankful to finally have a player of his ilk on this team. A vocal minority with dubious motives like to make a bigger deal out of anything he does on the other hand.

Pacioretty would be a fine choice as well, only if the team wants to keep it the traditional, low key way. He seem to have a great relationship with the coaching staff and management in general. Also seem to be well liked by his teammates and held in high regards by many. Never in the middle of any controversy whatsoever.

My only concern: Not know to be the guy to step-up, and a bit of a kissass to the coach. Seems like a puppet more than a leader at times.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Gallagher has the heart and soul to be a captain but the captain is the guy that is responsible for comminicating with the referees on any questionable calls that happen on the ice. Gallagher and the referees don't always get along :)

Pacioretty deserves the C IMO

When we first drafted Gallagher, there were numerous posts about the scrappy little ******* we had just taken. All were complaining about his playing style, size, skills, and how he would get killed in the NHL.

I paraphrase, because I can not find the post... "He's bat **** crazy".

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Would feel like Gionta 2.0 to me. Gallagher is great and all, but he's not "the" guy on this team, nor will he ever be.

Subban is the face of this franchise. He's the guy that always steps up and carries this team on the ice, minus Price, obviously. He's the guy that's always willing to take the blame when others give these robot like diplomatic answers to the media. He's the guy that led this team in playoff scoring 3 years in a row. He's the guy everyone turns to to address the media after a tough loss or a big win. Subban is the guy on this team.

My only concern: Does Subban really need an even bigger target on his back than he already has? There's post like the one made by The Doors I don't even dare to quote, what if he has the C on top of it? What will be the answer of the media and fans when he goes through a slump? People are already willing to crap on him the minute they get a chance, as demonstrated in his so called "slow start" to this season (a load crap, as far as I'm concerned). A large part of the fanbase are thankful to finally have a player of his ilk on this team. A vocal minority with dubious motives like to make a bigger deal out of anything he does on the other hand.

Pacioretty would be a fine choice as well, only if the team wants to keep it the traditional, low key way. He seem to have a great relationship with the coaching staff and management in general. Also seem to be well liked by his teammates and held in high regards by many. Never in the middle of any controversy whatsoever.

My only concern: Not know to be the guy to step-up, and a bit of a kissass to the coach. Seems like a puppet more than a leader at times.

What target?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Listening to Lafleur is probably not sane. He just says controversial stuff when he needs a media distraction for his kid. Great player, lousy analyst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad