Confirmed with Link: Guy Boucher talks about the future (and wears new logo...not really)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Teams will love playing us.

Opposing fans come in and take over our empty and quiet building. We have both the worst offense and worst defence on paper in the whole league. Our goaltending was attrocious last year and while they both have the potential to bounce back it seems more likely it will be average at best.

Well, that's a different and reasonable perspective. I suppose we shall see. We have performed wonders with lineups less exciting than this one in the past.

The real unknown is the new talent that is being injected into the team, and the new chemistry and leadership that this squad will have. Some big unknowns make for a difficult time projecting how good or bad we'll be. Perfect for a rebuilding team in that we'll have to watch to see how it unfolds.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wonder if Boucher will put his psychology degree to work and get these guy playing with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove.

If they do, in before people start claiming the team is better without Karlsson...

Reactions: albator71

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I see us playing somewhat of a Vegas/Jersey style of game this year. Whether or not it translates into anything positive is a whole other story. But it could work.

Reactions: albator71

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
As much as I loved Karlsson it’s true that having two standards doesn’t work. It can’t be that everyone has to play a certain way except that guy. Everyone has to buy in to what we’re doing except that guy. That guy does whatever he wants because he’s so talented. Talented players don’t require coaches. Oh and that guy is the captain. He can look anyone in the eye and say ‘I can do whatever I want so don’t follow my example’.
Ok I’m exaggerating to make a point, but it’s valid. It’s hard for a group of proud professionals to follow team doctrine when the leader doesn’t have to practice or follow any game plan.
Don’t hate at me. I loved EK but I can see how his presence could possibly mess up team cohesion.

Karlsson bought in completely to what Boucher wanted in the fall of '16. He blocked a ton of shots, played more than he ever had on the PK, and executed the 1-3-1 really well at his RD position. The thing is that EK was the only guy on the team that could do the things that he could do, so of course Boucher was going to give him a leash that he wouldn't give Ceci or Claesson or Harpur - guys that couldn't take those risks and recover from them if it went bad.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
As much as I loved Karlsson it’s true that having two standards doesn’t work. It can’t be that everyone has to play a certain way except that guy. Everyone has to buy in to what we’re doing except that guy. That guy does whatever he wants because he’s so talented. Talented players don’t require coaches. Oh and that guy is the captain. He can look anyone in the eye and say ‘I can do whatever I want so don’t follow my example’.
Ok I’m exaggerating to make a point, but it’s valid. It’s hard for a group of proud professionals to follow team doctrine when the leader doesn’t have to practice or follow any game plan.
Don’t hate at me. I loved EK but I can see how his presence could possibly mess up team cohesion.
Im not hating, i think theres a lot of truth in what your saying. Just look what Vegas accomplished with the mentality of "one for all and all for one"

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
What do you mean by "he doesn't have to practice"? In my recollection, he attended practice like everyone else.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
What do you mean by "he doesn't have to practice"? In my recollection, he attended practice like everyone else.
No, no, I wasn’t being literal. Just generalizing/exaggerating to make a point. If you have a situation where there are two sets of rules eventually team chemistry suffers. But we can never know how it really was in the room because nobody will ever actually talk openly about it.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Teams will love playing us.

Opposing fans come in and take over our empty and quiet building. We have both the worst offense and worst defence on paper in the whole league. Our goaltending was attrocious last year and while they both have the potential to bounce back it seems more likely it will be average at best.
Hockey was never played on paper. But on paper it is written down that Chabot as a defenceman won wjc player of the tournament and on the losing team? I don't know something like that. Did he get worse on paper, perhaps suffer an injury on page 47?

Point is, they talk of a rebuild for us in Toronto but they don't speak of our rookies killing them in the tournaments. We have 3 years of studs drafted already. This isn't even optimism, we are talking about these amazing talents because that is all we are hearing from guys like Duchene, Stone and even Karlsson.

I would list the names but that is 90% of what we do on here. We literally traded Karlsson for prospects we wouldn't even put in our top 6. And we could say it is about Dorion but really it just speaks to the depth and talent of our current prospects (and nhl ready players).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hockey was never played on paper. But on paper it is written down that Chabot as a defenceman won wjc player of the tournament and on the losing team? I don't know something like that. Did he get worse on paper, perhaps suffer an injury on page 47?

Point is, they talk of a rebuild for us in Toronto but they don't speak of our rookies killing them in the tournaments. We have 3 years of studs drafted already. This isn't even optimism, we are talking about these amazing talents because that is all we are hearing from guys like Duchene, Stone and even Karlsson.

I would list the names but that is 90% of what we do on here. We literally traded Karlsson for prospects we wouldn't even put in our top 6. And we could say it is about Dorion but really it just speaks to the depth and talent of our current prospects (and nhl ready players).

I have 3 rocks. They are pretty nice rocks but I mean they aren't diamonds or even really precious but they are pretty nice rocks. Now somehow I acquired a couple other rocks , neither are diamonds either and really they are not as nice as at least 2 of the rocks I have already.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I have 3 rocks. They are pretty nice rocks but I mean they aren't diamonds or even really precious but they are pretty nice rocks. Now somehow I acquired a couple other rocks , neither are diamonds either and really they are not as nice as at least 2 of the rocks I have already.

Man that's a solid number of rocks. You should share them and we can all throw them at a certain NHL owner

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Maybe they are diamonds in the rough.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If we are going to employ the no forecheck method ,then that defense will get exposed big time...Its really on our forwards here,and judging by how green most of them are I really dont see us going anywhere

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
If we are going to employ the no forecheck method ,then that defense will get exposed big time...Its really on our forwards here,and judging by how green most of them are I really dont see us going anywhere

I thought Dorion said we'd have an aggressive forecheck this season, though the system will be centred on defense.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Well, that's a different and reasonable perspective. I suppose we shall see. We have performed wonders with lineups less exciting than this one in the past.

The real unknown is the new talent that is being injected into the team, and the new chemistry and leadership that this squad will have. Some big unknowns make for a difficult time projecting how good or bad we'll be. Perfect for a rebuilding team in that we'll have to watch to see how it unfolds.
Sens are now bottom of 5 in the NHL standings in terms of point %.

30th in CF%
30th in FF%
2nd in sh%
10th in PDO
31st in GAA/gym
26th in shots for /gm
1st in shot against/gm (39.3)

And this is what the spin doctors on the board describe as a good and entertaining start to the season.

Thanks Eugene

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad