Confirmed with Link: Guy Boucher talks about the future (and wears new logo...not really)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Its true that it’s exciting for these young guys and there is a lot of potential there... problem is Karlsson, Stone and Duchene could be signed long term and we’d still be way under the cap (who will probably rise again next year) with a reasonable salary expenditure. Don’t forget MacArthur and Gaborik salaries who are insured at 80%

What a waste, could have a Karlsson/Duchene/Stone/Chabot core with several other quality pieces

Why is EK not part of it? Melnyk ego probably

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I'm still frustrated with Boucher. Last season, with our porous defense, a lot of player interviews revolved around there being two standards -- one for Karlsson and one for everyone else. That kind of talk shouldn't make its way to the public. A coach should coach the players he has, and not let frustration fester to the point that players are sniping at each other to the press.

When I hear a coach talk about needing players that "play the right way", as he often did under a stifled exhale through gritted teeth, I think he's a system-only coach, inflexible and a poor communicator. This is my opinion of Boucher this year, and I think we've stocked the cupboard with his players that "play the right way", damn creativity and individuality.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just want to say, thank you Guy. You really help calm things down and get focus back on a positive outlook.

Despite all the ridiculousness of owner and management this team can still have success this year. Lots of great players.

And maybe a deal or two gets done to bring in some dmen

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
As much as I loved Karlsson it’s true that having two standards doesn’t work. It can’t be that everyone has to play a certain way except that guy. Everyone has to buy in to what we’re doing except that guy. That guy does whatever he wants because he’s so talented. Talented players don’t require coaches. Oh and that guy is the captain. He can look anyone in the eye and say ‘I can do whatever I want so don’t follow my example’.
Ok I’m exaggerating to make a point, but it’s valid. It’s hard for a group of proud professionals to follow team doctrine when the leader doesn’t have to practice or follow any game plan.
Don’t hate at me. I loved EK but I can see how his presence could possibly mess up team cohesion.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Boucher is probably a coach who thrives on getting the most out of a sad sack roster so he might actually be a good fit now.

Trust da system.

Yep.

He's exactly the kind of guy you watch when your roster lacks any real elite skill.

(This post is more a condemnation of the team as it is currently built than it is a vote of confidence in Guy)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hope Guy can do it.. We will have a hard time scoring but .. have to be relentless, hound the puck, pressure with support all over the ice and pray for out of this world goal tending.. but .. out of this a couple players will emerge. The dark days are here.. this year , next year and things will start looking up again.

Last edited:
Reactions: albator71

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
As much as I loved Karlsson it’s true that having two standards doesn’t work. It can’t be that everyone has to play a certain way except that guy. Everyone has to buy in to what we’re doing except that guy. That guy does whatever he wants because he’s so talented. Talented players don’t require coaches. Oh and that guy is the captain. He can look anyone in the eye and say ‘I can do whatever I want so don’t follow my example’.
Ok I’m exaggerating to make a point, but it’s valid. It’s hard for a group of proud professionals to follow team doctrine when the leader doesn’t have to practice or follow any game plan.
Don’t hate at me. I loved EK but I can see how his presence could possibly mess up team cohesion.

I disagree.

A coach should be able to get maximum benefit from a high-octane offensive defenseman. Granted, a rift here could be either coach or player's fault. But when I hear Boucher growling his play-the-right-way mantra, I think of how inflexible his neutral-zone system was, forcing Chabot to play on the right side because he's more of a puck mover than a shut down defenseman.

You don't want to force Karlsson to block shots, he broke his damn foot blocking shots in 2017. If any of these hard-working professionals can't play a role because one of their teammates is better suited for a different role, he's not so professional.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have a feeling that we might be a team that others hate to play against. I expect that we may have an "us against the world" type team next year given all of the youth, the talent the vets have, and the outside views about the franchise. It very likely will galvanize the group, especially when the odds come out and every predicts that we'll finish last.

Will be fun to watch this year I think.

Reactions: albator71

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
I have a feeling that we might be a team that others hate to play against. I expect that we may have an "us against the world" type team next year given all of the youth, the talent the vets have, and the outside views about the franchise. It very likely will galvanize the group, especially when the odds come out and every predicts that we'll finish last.

Will be fun to watch this year I think.

Teams will love playing us.

Opposing fans come in and take over our empty and quiet building. We have both the worst offense and worst defence on paper in the whole league. Our goaltending was attrocious last year and while they both have the potential to bounce back it seems more likely it will be average at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad