Speculation: Gustafsson

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Wait, this was his trade idea? Really? What in the ever loving **** kind of transaction is this?

Lose Gus and Boqvist, for a worse player, who the Hawks passed over to take Boqvist less than a year ago, and a pick that may or may not be a good player ever. :laugh:

Not sure how he even still has a job at The Athletic. About 99% of this board is more qualified to write about the Hawks for The Athletic than Laz is.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Lose Gus and Boqvist, for a worse player, who the Hawks passed over to take Boqvist less than a year ago, and a pick that may or may not be a good player ever. :laugh:

Not sure how he even still has a job at The Athletic. About 99% of this board is more qualified to write about the Hawks for The Athletic than Laz is.
For some reason the comments section at The Athletic LOVES him. I really think they are trying to grow and it's changing the culture of both the writers and the subscribers.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I think I have a grown up picture of the kid in your avatar...

tumblr_pj16ajHFjP1xkok61o1_250.gif
This is what I picture Laz looking like.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This is from an article in the Athletic .... Lazerus and Powers talking about Hawk topics

From Laz:
"I’m just spit-balling here, but if, say, the Oilers want Gustafsson, maybe you can package him with Boqvist and get a draft pick and Evan Bouchard. Multiple team sources told me after the draft that the Blackhawks were down to Boqvist and Bouchard. If they have any buyer’s remorse — again, a big if, but hey, this is the time of year for idle-but-informed speculation — better to admit it now and address it before word gets out. This is not a likely scenario, but that would be the only kind of scenario in which I’d consider moving Gustafsson. Just a 26th pick or whatever doesn’t do it for me."

Here is the Athletic article ......... I subscribe
Tape-to-tape: What are the Blackhawks' options at the trade...
I usually reserve this for BWC...but I will make an exception here...

tumblr_phdgmboEN01xkok61o1_500.png

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Wait, this was his trade idea? Really? What in the ever loving **** kind of transaction is this?

Not only his trade idea, but then he made things worse by saying it’s something he’s “hearing”.

Hours later, McKenzie said on national TV that it’s unlikely Gus goes anywhere.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Speaking of bad trade ideas for Gus, I was listening to Zawaski's podcast and he was saying he'd be tempted to trade Gus for a 2nd.

What world are these people living in? And I usually like Jay too.

He’s saying that because he believes Gus has hit his offensive ceiling, and doubts he will get any better defensively.

His words, not mine

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
I am not a fan of Gus ........... his defense is below average

However I have come around on him ........... he REALLY is solid as a Phil Housely type dman

He can play 3rd pair and #1 PP

Even getting a 1st round pick for him wouldnt help for another 2-3 years .... he is here NOW .... the rebuild/retool can be pushed ahead faster with him than without him

Now AA, Kunitz or KFSeabrook can be dealt anytime and Im OK with it

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
He’s saying that because he believes Gus has hit his offensive ceiling, and doubts he will get any better defensively.

His words, not mine
I get what he's saying but even if Gus never improves at all, he's a hugely valuable piece. He's probably going to end the year top 10 in points for a defensemen and has been a huge part of the resurgent powerplay.

A 2nd round pick has like a 10-20% chance of even being in the NHL in the next 3 years.

He also said he doesn't think he'd land a 1st because teams overvalue draft positions, and then he says he'd take a 2nd, which is exactly that (overvalue of draft picks).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Not only his trade idea, but then he made things worse by saying it’s something he’s “hearing”.

Hours later, McKenzie said on national TV that it’s unlikely Gus goes anywhere.
I will correct you good sir, Bobby Mac said " EXTREMELY UNLIKELY" to Gus getting traded...not just unlikely, but adding a f*** off EXTREMELY there as well lol...

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
So after watching Gus the last two games, I think he is looking better defensively though he still has a couple of mind blowing mistakes a game that makes you want to pull the TV off the wall and toss it in the fireplace. However, I have also seen him makes some really elite level defensive plays as well so I am conflicted on where he ends up defensively. If can eliminate the mental errors, I think he can be a true second pair defenseman.

On the other hand, offensively he is unbelievable. His pass to Kane last night in OT shows that he is seeing the game at a higher level offensively than most D-men. I would venture that every other Hawks defensemen shoots in that situation.

At this point, my opinion is that the Hawks need to keep him unless there is a massive overwhelming trade offered. I talking top pairing LHD and a first round pick type of overpayment. On the second pairing and QBing the 1PP, Gus could lead all defensemen in points.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I am not a fan of Gus ........... his defense is below average

However I have come around on him ........... he REALLY is solid as a Phil Housely type dman

He can play 3rd pair and #1 PP

Even getting a 1st round pick for him wouldnt help for another 2-3 years .... he is here NOW .... the rebuild/retool can be pushed ahead faster with him than without him

Now AA, Kunitz or KFSeabrook can be dealt anytime and Im OK with it
I think Gus has the talent to be a #4 if he stops the brain farts. He's obviously an elite PP1 already.

Gus is signed until 2020 at a cheap price. There's absolutely NO REASON to trade him NOW. We can trade him in the summer if we have to.

It's too late to tank. The Hawks aren't going to get a top 5 pick unless they get lucky. In fact, they'll most likely make the playoffs.

Would you trade Gus for Hartman? Late first round picks are usually Hartmans. Gus is beyond a late first round pick. You only move him this TDL if a team is willing to give up a GRADE A PROSPECT on the brink of the NHL or just getting their feet wet.

Gus is cheap. Signed for 1.5 years. Puck moving DMen are coveted in today's NHL. And still only ~26.

I'm asking for the moon if teams inquire about Gus. I'll give up Gus for a late first round pick IF we can staple Seabrook's contract in the trade.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I will correct you good sir, Bobby Mac said " EXTREMELY UNLIKELY" to Gus getting traded...not just unlikely, but adding a **** off EXTREMELY there as well lol...

Haha true, Laz got professionally bitch slapped on national TV by a true hockey media professional. Even if McKenzie didn’t know he was doing it.

So maybe it was more like the giant that is McKenzie unknowingly stepping on the tiny bug that is Lazerus

Reactions: AmericanDream

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad