Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
This is a win now team. A goalie prospect does nothing for us in the short term. We need help on D, now & for the future. When Flower is ready to call it quits, a competent starter in goal is the easiest position to fill on the roster.

Brannstrom is a pipe dream. No way is Ottawa taking on Gusev & his 4.5 M salary demands. Melnyk isn't spending a dime more than he has to. They're not sniffing the playoffs with or without Gusev.
Depends what you deem competent. I'd say goalies that could give you a shot are easy to come by but goalies you can rely on are alot tougher. Right now we have Flower, after that our Goal tending depth plummets off a cliff. Now goalie prospects are not sure thing, but if a deal around Gusev and Knight were to present itself, it is something I would seriously consider. Or Nashville, want to trade our nice delicious Gusev for your crummy old Saros :laugh: D yes is something we need, but not really sure whose out there that would be a suitable trade off.

This season I'm not anticipating a deep run, I see us around the bubble. I think the goal this year is to re calibrate, we were better than we were supposed to be, and got players easier than we expected, and are in a bit of a pickle because by large things are going right. We'll see in October how the team fares and they may surprise us, but I think it'd be an error for us neglect all our future needs for now.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
We were 16th because of a long string of losses before we acquired Stone. If you're considering all things you have to consider our unsustainably low shooting percentage and how well our numbers skyrocketed in all regards once we got Stone and got healthier. We went into the playoffs considered by many to one of the West's top contenders. We can wax ponder all we want about how much of our loss was because of the call or because of the penalty kill, or the defense and the late surge of strong play by Jones, the point is it was a close series against a team that went very deep in the playoffs.

As far as I'm concerned, so long as Fleury can stop a puck, we're still a force in the West.
I have concerns, but it's about consistency more than anything. We were woefully inconsistent last season. We can not afford to lack the urgency we did last season, where large chunks of the season the team just did not seem to want to compete and battle and be tenacious, and with some of our better guys at that departing, i worry about the mental fortitude of this team. We'll see what the team looks like in October, but right now I'll just be satisfied making the playoffs.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm hoping we can get Gusev for $3.5 to $4m. I can't see it higher than that or lower. Eakin and at least one more player will likely have to go to sign him. Fleury cashed in big time when he could have taken the same contract and still taken home more money because of the the lack of state income tax, Reaves was massively overpaid which I knew would cost the team PEB, and signing Holden. This is my I told you so post that I went on many times last year. I hope that there's trades that can free up the cash to sign Gusev because we are likely to lose more value back than the Miller and Haula trades. At worst I see him as an above average player.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Gusev probably has more value to the Knights as a short term player than he does in trade. If they do move him it will be money and the fact they can't get him done, obviously, but I'd like to see him get a shot here. As long as he buys in to the style of play the org requires with the hard forecheck and getting back in support, I have to think he helps us. The obvious concern is will he buy in, and if you don't think so then trade him. But Gusev is the kind of player who can make a GM look stupid, what with his high end scoring potential, so it's really a dangerous decision.

Also the relative unknown right now is the kids, i.e. Glass, Roy, & Hague. If things go well in camp for all three there will be room made for them which benefits the bottom line and allows for possibly moving one or two other players. And of course they're not the only ones who might step it up, just the most obvious.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Make some trades to clear cap space or create a time machine and go back in time to cancel the Patches trade. Then sign Gusev.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
$3M 1 year, pray for a cap increase next year if he shows merit for higher salary. :thumbu:

If they can unload Holden, even on waivers, I believe the numbers are close to there. I have no problem trading off a second rookie from our prospect pool for Holden.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I keep seeing that Eakin is an impending UFA. How has he not been traded yet? I understand that he's a valuable 3C, but with Glass in the pipeline, are they considering Eakin as a TDL asset? If Gusev is asking $4m, then he will probably sign for around what Eakin is making, maybe $3.2, then you have the same problem with longer term on a guy who is an unknown.
If they trade Gusev, the return should be substantial (picks or prospects). If they go into the season with the roster how it is now, I'm okay with that, as long as they have a plan for Eakin, rather than just losing him as UFA. Obviously, they can't extend him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Just accept it he's already gone. They want the same lineup they had last year and they'd rather have it over (unproven) elite skill at 4m.

Holden isn't enough to make room for him, he'll be moved to re-sign Engelland and Subban.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
4 million a year strikes me as a reasonable ask. You trade Eakin, which should be fairly easy, and you can pretty much open all the space you need.

It’s not that the team can’t sign him; they could if they chose to. If only Gusev was from Manitoba.

Reactions: derriko

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It’s not that the team can’t sign him; they could if they chose to. If only Gusev was from Manitoba.

This is a very important point. Whether it's perception or reality, after Shippy's experience here, the McGM's should consider the optics of another failed attempt at bringing in a Russian star.....

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Yes, he's a RFA; and nominally could be subjected to offer sheet. But he's in a special situation that does not allow offer sheet in his case (no accrued seasons).

Yes, he's Group 4, which was specifically written to prevent players from using foreign leagues to cut out the team that won their rights through the draft (or traded for the same rights) by playing overseas.

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
This seems like pretty standard negotiating tactics on both sides. I’m honestly not too worried. If Gusev and his agents really wanted 4m they would have asked for 5.

GMGM probably thinks 2.5-3m is fair and that’s why they offered 2. If he was a UFA I’m sure GMGM would have made a stronger offer, but that wasn’t necessary. I think they are 1 more trade away from that.

So if a trade is made Gusev could get maybe 4m on another team. . Or, Gusev signs here for the 2.5 and plays his 2 years and lights it up (if he’s really that good) and hopefully win a cup... and then signs for 10m+ somewhere else when he’s a UFA. Win/win for everyone.

Personally I really hope we get it done. I think Gusev could be a great addition to this team. We’ve seen what the 3rd line is without him and it wasn’t great.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
This seems like pretty standard negotiating tactics on both sides. I’m honestly not too worried. If Gusev and his agents really wanted 4m they would have asked for 5.

GMGM probably thinks 2.5-3m is fair and that’s why they offered 2. If he was a UFA I’m sure GMGM would have made a stronger offer, but that wasn’t necessary. I think they are 1 more trade away from that.

So if a trade is made Gusev could get maybe 4m on another team. . Or, Gusev signs here for the 2.5 and plays his 2 years and lights it up (if he’s really that good) and hopefully win a cup... and then signs for 10m+ somewhere else when he’s a UFA. Win/win for everyone.

Personally I really hope we get it done. I think Gusev could be a great addition to this team. We’ve seen what the 3rd line is without him and it wasn’t great.

But Gusev is 27 in July, i don't think he wants to play at 2.5 from 27 to 29.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Expect something this week, or next at the latest.

“There’s definitely an interest in him,” McPhee said. “We’ve had people call us on him. We’ll see what develops. I can’t tell you what will happen, but we’ll work on it. He’s been very, very good on the international stage. He wants to play in the NHL. He worked very hard to get over here, and we’re going to accommodate him one way or another, either here or with another club.”
McPhee noted however the clock may be ticking on the Golden Knights to make a decision as teams look to fill their cap space in the near future.

“Teams don’t typically like to wait that long,” McPhee said. “They’d like to get their business done in the next week or two because things do dry up. There will be a lot of talk over the next few days. Teams that didn’t get a free agent to fill a hole may be looking for a trade. I still think there’s a lot to be done around the league, and we’ll stay involved and see what happen

https://www.tsn.ca/report-vegas-golden-knights-considering-trading-nikita-gusev-1.1331735

Everything McPhee has been saying points towards him preferring to keep Eakin and Reaves, and move out Holden. They believe they should have gone all the way with that forward group last year and I don't think they want to do much tinkering to the opening night roster.

I bet Buffalo was the team Pierre Lebrun kept mentioning was asking about a Gusev-Miller package. They just added Vesey but may still be looking for another winger.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Depends what you deem competent. I'd say goalies that could give you a shot are easy to come by but goalies you can rely on are alot tougher. Right now we have Flower, after that our Goal tending depth plummets off a cliff. Now goalie prospects are not sure thing, but if a deal around Gusev and Knight were to present itself, it is something I would seriously consider. Or Nashville, want to trade our nice delicious Gusev for your crummy old Saros :laugh: D yes is something we need, but not really sure whose out there that would be a suitable trade off.

I didn't mean our future goalie was presently on the VGK current roster or in the organization. I was saying that "goalie" was the easiest to fill from around the League. For example, if Flower was done at the end of 2019, we could've signed Lehner as a stopgap for 2-3 years at 5m. Some might even call that an upgrade, but the point is, it doesn't kill your cap or hamstring you long term, as it would signing a FA skater.

So in 2-3 years when Flower does call it quits, you can be sure there is a similar deal to be had with someone just as good. Which is why trading as asset such as Gusev for a goalie who won't be ready for at least 2-3 seasons doesn't make sense. This team needs help right now, especially on Defense.

Reactions: derriko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad