Value of: Gusev TBL

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Pretty funny that VGK are in year two and are already staring down the salary cap barrel
Why? They are a competitive team that made it to the SCF and then bounced this year due to crap officiating. They continuously sell out games due to the on ice product which means they need to pay these players. It’s not like they are the DRW...

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
The absolute last thing Tampa needs is another small, non physical forward.

It was a bad move by SY to give him to Vegas, but he's not changing anything in Tampa, and he doesn't make them better when it matters.

Reactions: DaBolts

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Why? They are a competitive team that made it to the SCF and then bounced this year due to crap officiating. They continuously sell out games due to the on ice product which means they need to pay these players. It’s not like they are the DRW...
They were given gifts literally no other expansion franchise was given, sure we can say maybe the NHL learned from previous mistakes, but for all the parity and competitive balance talk, they sure didnt have to earn it like everyone else.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
They were given gifts literally no other expansion franchise was given, sure we can say maybe the NHL learned from previous mistakes, but for all the parity and competitive balance talk, they sure didnt have to earn it like everyone else.

I have no clue how the myth that the league bent over backwards for Vegas is still alive. Yes, they benefited from being the only team entering the league when there was always more than one. But go check opinions on the team right after the expansion draft, no one thought they would be would good and its completely revisionist history to say the NHL made some sort of mistakes with it (not that giving a new team a chance to succeed is even a mistake).

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The problem with Gusev is he’s highly talented but unproven on NHL ice, so if you have his rights you don’t want to trade him cheaply but if you’re acquiring him you don’t want to give up too much for him. In addition he doesn’t offer years of cost controlled term the way a draft pick would if he happened to pan out (on the other hand he also has the potential to be more of an immediate impact player than most draft picks.)

All that being the case I’d probably give up as much as a 2nd for him, but I wouldn’t go any higher than that. Whether or not Vegas would go for that I don’t know, but that’s as much as I’d be willing to risk for a guy who might not pan out in the NHL and who if he does will soon cost a lot of money to retain.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
He’s not going to fit well into Vegas system plus there’s no Russians to get him acclimated.

Trade him to CBJ

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He’s not going to fit well into Vegas system plus there’s no Russians to get him acclimated.

Trade him to CBJ
He's 26, he shouldn't need a "big brother" to watch his back. The only thing that really matters is if he can speak English or not.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The absolute last thing Tampa needs is another small, non physical forward.

It was a bad move by SY to give him to Vegas, but he's not changing anything in Tampa, and he doesn't make them better when it matters.

I remember, two soft euros were pretty good in Vancouver... Winning in the playoffs isn't about toughness, but about skill, chemistry and good defense (along with goalie).

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I remember, two soft euros were pretty good in Vancouver... Winning in the playoffs isn't about toughness, but about skill, chemistry and good defense (along with goalie).
I believe that Vancouver did not win the cup with those soft Euros either. Not saying toughness is right just a real bad example.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

We'll have to agree to disagree. Gusev solves absolutely no problems for Tampa.

Would I love to have him had we not traded his rights? Of course, but that ship has sailed and bringing him back doesn't help Tampa be better.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I have no clue how the myth that the league bent over backwards for Vegas is still alive. Yes, they benefited from being the only team entering the league when there was always more than one. But go check opinions on the team right after the expansion draft, no one thought they would be would good and its completely revisionist history to say the NHL made some sort of mistakes with it (not that giving a new team a chance to succeed is even a mistake).
The only thing for me is they are exempt from the expansion draft...

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Let’s assume for starters that Gusev wants to come to the NHL and that his desire to do so is not dependent on the team for which he’ll play (obviously if it’s questionable whether or not he’ll ever come over or if he refuses to play for Vegas but is open to going elsewhere then that would have a significant impact on his trade value.) The problem is he’s highly talented but unproven on NHL ice, so if you have his rights you don’t want to trade him cheaply but if you’re acquiring him you don’t want to give up too much for him. In addition he doesn’t offer years of cost controlled term the way a draft pick would if he happened to pan out (on the other hand he also has the potential to be more of an immediate impact player than most draft picks.)

All that being the case, if I knew for certain that he was coming to the NHL and that he wouldn’t have a problem playing for my team then I’d probably give up as much as a 2nd for him, but I wouldn’t go any higher than that. Whether or not Vegas would go for that I don’t know, but that’s as much as I’d be willing to risk for a guy who might not pan out in the NHL and who if he does will soon cost a lot of money to retain.
We don't have to "assume" this. He already signed with a NHL team.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If (when) Carolina matches the Aho OS I could see MTL trying to package Clarkson on to Gusev to try and get a reasonable deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad