Confirmed with Link: Gus is here to stay!

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It does save money since we can just carry 13 forwards. (no replacement guys necessary)
But we would have to trade both since they make less than 925K, which will result in only 12 forwards.

It is stupid move but something Holland might do. Since he loves vets like Cleary, Q.

I really don't think Holland would alter the roster to less than 23 players.

I mean giving Tatar away for a conditional 2nd and cap space? You really think he would do that? I mean I know he does some questionable things, but he is not brain dead. Signing cleary was a loyalty move, and I honestly think he told cleary, if you don't produce, and we get pressured, you might be traded. And I think Cleary said thats ok with him, and signed the deal. Well he hasn't produced and still out survived Eaves and Tootoo. But now there are few "scrubs" left.

Cleary, Sammy, Miller.

Holland loves his depth, he is not about to make a permanent 21 or 22 man roster, I don't think that is going to happen at all.

He will make a move that we may NOT agree with, but i think it will end up with a 23 man roster under the limit.

As I said.. the easy move, with no trades is Waive Cleary.
If that is not an option. Sammy and Quincey are high priced bums right now. He will try them.
Miller Maybe gets the shaft.

Nyq, Tatar don't save us enough money (I don't think andersson or lashoff do either)
abdelkader and helm are loved by this organization, they are going nowhere.

So I think this is a positive event no matter how u look at it.

Nyquist up. Someone else expensive loses their job.
And it seems to me, they are going with someone losing their job.. and I can't wait to find out WHO!

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
cost to acquire him.

could get someone like him a bit cheaper. maybe one who doesn't have those brain farts that bieksa tends to have. canucks fans call them 'casual kev' moments.

this year only right? too small sample size imo. that has not been the case for say, the past 2 or 3 seasons.

Going back to 2010-2011, there really isn't much of a difference between Bieksa's production with and without the Sedins (in some cases, it didn't really change at all). The gap is basically enough to make you conclude that Bieksa is a very good Dman, and a better Dman with the Sedins. But once again, who isn't better with the Sedins?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Omgomgomgomg. Happy (early) birthday to me!

Can't wait to go on the game Sunday!

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Stupid. Sammy hasn't been terrible. No cap relief waiving him either.

I pray to all things right that you are being sarcastic. by far one of the worst players on the ice at all times. I cannot count, for the life of me, how many times his stupidity has put his linemates offsides..

His play has been right there with Cleary, sorry but true.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
If they are fine going with 6 defenseman on the active roster, then they don't need to make a move until Dekeyser comes off LTIR in 4-6 weeks.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Going back to 2010-2011, there really isn't much of a difference between Bieksa's production with and without the Sedins (in some cases, it didn't really change at all). The gap is basically enough to make you conclude that Bieksa is a very good Dman, and a better Dman with the Sedins. But once again, who isn't better with the Sedins?

from 11-13, he's corsi for % drops to around 50% from around 60%. similar thing with goals for ratio. and fairly big drop even if one uses z.s. adjusted numbers. sedin's goals for ratio numbers actually improved.

those are pretty significant drops.

he is a good d dman but can wings get similar dman, cheaper?

considering canucks are already pretty deep at LD. they don't really need kindl. tatar + andy does help them some i guess but not enough to give up bieksa.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
If they are fine going with 6 defenseman on the active roster, then they don't need to make a move until Dekeyser comes off LTIR in 4-6 weeks.

as someone already mentioned. very risky to go on a road trip with only 6 D.

RandR

May 15, 2011
isn't it sort of sad/pathetic that this is one of the best things that has happened this year?

but anyway, as pgt said, better late than never. they're not tards. interesting to see how this plays out.

nyquist brings an element this team lacks. when everyone is healthy i'd go

z-d-alfie
nyquist-weiss-franzen
tatar-helm-abby
who-gives-adamn

bert is on short leash. he is good at protecting the puck and along the boards but can't do much else.
I burst out laughing when I read that line combination. :laugh:

Great news about Nyquist. One game is a pretty small window of opportunity, and he took it.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Today is right up there with the day Cleary supposedly had a deal with the Flyers agreed to. Awesome, just awesome.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
This is great news! Unfortunately, it took the Dekeyser injury to really force home how much the decision put Nyquist in the AHL to start the season could end up costing them.

They could have saved face somewhere in the first ten games and rectified the situation. If they had, for example, out righted Cleary then to bring Nyquist back, Nyquist's comparatively higher goal output would have contributed to some more points in the standings.

They probably would have left this to fester all season had Dekeyser not been injured forcing them to face the possibility offensive as well as defensive disadvantages for the next month or two.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Maybe somewhat off-topic but how tall is Nyquist? He's listed as 5'11 on NHL.com but doesn't he look smaller than that?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe somewhat off-topic but how tall is Nyquist? He's listed as 5'11 on NHL.com but doesn't he look smaller than that?

No 5'11 seems about right. Tatar is listed at 5'10 and when the two stand together Nyquist is clearly a bit taller.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Cleary defensively sound?

When he's not on his butt he's either out of position or wandering aimlessly without a stick. Should the above not be true, there are probably 10 minutes left in the game and he's busy taking double minor penalties.

The guy is a liability... EVERY... WHERE.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
as someone already mentioned. very risky to go on a road trip with only 6 D.

Worst case scenario if someone is a late scratch, they can roll with 5 defenseman and make it through just fine for one game. They've done that at various points this year when Kronwall, Lashoff and Dekeyser missed the majority of their games and they had to rotate 5 D.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Gus is going to be rewarded by playing with Cleary and Sammy so he can learn to play realgud.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On a side note I will say this.

Saw some of the guys getting on the bus after the opening game vs rochester. The two guys that surprised me most size-wise were Nedomlel and pulkkinen.

I know Nedomlel is listed at 6 foot whatever and 200+ lbs, but it's hard to really grasp how huge that dude is unless you're standing near him in person. On the flip side pulkkinen was quite a bit shorter than what I was expecting. Not sure what he's listed at but he seems about 5'8 or 5'9.

Could be wrong, just an observation.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
dont want to dampen the parade but.

Isnt nyquist called up as emergency replacement? Meaning if playing right now doesnt count for his games? Meaning he can still get sent down when DD comes back?

Just want OFFICIAL Verification not someone who assumes they know how this is working.

I see nothing about it out of detroit.

That all being said Andersson has limited upside he has no speed so whether he becomes a better player or not whatever he is never going to kill us.

Same with miller I think those are the two on way out.

Can dream of cutting sammy which is dumb or really dream on cleary which aint happening.

Or hope and pray they do correctly and just cut quincey. Obviously could trade and take half salary or something but not sure anyone would want him just like the rest of the scrubs this team has.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
dont want to dampen the parade but.

Isnt nyquist called up as emergency replacement? Meaning if playing right now doesnt count for his games? Meaning he can still get sent down when DD comes back?

Just want OFFICIAL Verification not someone who assumes they know how this is working.

I see nothing about it out of detroit.

That all being said Andersson has limited upside he has no speed so whether he becomes a better player or not whatever he is never going to kill us.

Same with miller I think those are the two on way out.

Can dream of cutting sammy which is dumb or really dream on cleary which aint happening.

Or hope and pray they do correctly and just cut quincey. Obviously could trade and take half salary or something but not sure anyone would want him just like the rest of the scrubs this team has.

Khan is under the impression that is it a regular call up as well,

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 46m
@nateriemer No chance he would be exposed to waivers. If he plays one more game he is here to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad