Gun to your head: Pens or Leafs in a 7 game series

Who would you take?

• Total voters

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
The Leafs because the Penguins suck ass this year. If the Penguins turn it on, I'd pick them because they're proven, but the Leafs would straight up murder this Penguins team right now.

Take the words of Penguins fans, this team is bad right now.

This man speaks the truth, trust me.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Well on Paper the leafs should walk all over them, but we all know what happens with the Leafs in the first round:sarcasm:

Voted Leafs

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Leafs because it's tough to play in playoffs if you don't make it there.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Is Schultz back? If so I go Pens, series starts today, I go Leafs.

People betting against Malkin and Crosby aren't thinking clearly.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Right now, Leafs would eat the Pens alive in 4.

Pens are an absolute dumpster fire of a team at the time we type.

Why?

The Penguins have been world beaters every time the playoffs started for the past 3 years - moreso than any team for the past....20+ years maybe, in terms of a 3 year run, or just about?

Obviously they're having mediocre results so far in the season - but i don't care. If playoffs started i believe they could turn it on instantly and raise their game, as they have for past 3 years.

I picked Pittsburgh.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yea if it's right now it's gotta be the Leafs. We'll see where both are at when the playoffs actually roll around

Why? Penguins have dominated in the playoffs for 3 year straight in an extremely impressive way. They always manage to be very loose and destroy teams out of the gate. Why would that change?

Assuming season ended today (and both teams qualified) and playoffs started on the Wednesday as usual - I 100% believe Pens would be ready to go and play to the best of their ability by the start of the series.

I mean - Leafs have a great roster and a ton of talent. If they get their shit together in the playoffs - they certainly have the talent to compete with even a Pens team playing to the best of their ability - so it's not like they can't win. But I think most people here picking the Leafs are doing so because they think Pens suck now, which seems dumb. Pens do not suck - they started slow last year too.

After 25 games Penguins have 25 points this year.
Last year after 25 games they had 27 points.

At the 42 game mark last year Penguins had 43 points - just 1 point above 500.

If the playoffs started the Pens would absolutely be an extremely tough out against any team in the league - even today.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Why?

The Penguins have been world beaters every time the playoffs started for the past 3 years - moreso than any team for the past....20+ years maybe, in terms of a 3 year run, or just about?

Obviously they're having mediocre results so far in the season - but i don't care. If playoffs started i believe they could turn it on instantly and raise their game, as they have for past 3 years.

I picked Pittsburgh.
I get that they’re very good at switching the flip, but right now, if the series started tomorrow. Leafs would win easily in 4. Pens have no depth and Malkin, Kessel and Letang are brutal. Not to mention the defense is average at best and we’re running with 2 backup goaltenders.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Right this second? Leafs. Pens suck ass. But if they get their shit together Sid, Geno and Hot-Dog can beat any team.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If the series started tomorrow then the Leafs. If we're talking if they met in the playoffs, it would be most likely the ecf. At that point the pens will have turned it around and i would not bet against them.

Reactions: Intact

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
for real? you guys are betting againsgt 3 time cup winners 4 times there and 2 of the best players our gen or any really? againgst a never pass the first round team??? ok...

now leaf fans don't for one sec think I I think your rubbish or something you guys just need exp I would take leafs over pens to go with anyday over pens future but as of RIGHT NOW pens if it could be a cup final

Who cares if the penguins won 3 cups past is the past. It’s like saying you gonna bet against the habs, they got 24 cups!!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The Leafs because the Penguins suck ass this year. If the Penguins turn it on, I'd pick them because they're proven, but the Leafs would straight up murder this Penguins team right now.

Are you confident the Penguins will turn it around in the second half of the season? It's not like they haven't been in this type of position before.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who cares if the penguins won 3 cups past is the past. It’s like saying you gonna bet against the habs, they got 24 cups!!
No it’s not the same at all. None of the Habs players played on those Cup winners while most of the Pens key players played on those Cup winners.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Stanley Cup 7 game series in June, still the Penguins. Some teams just know how to step it up when it counts. Play good enough defense to keep it even, and let Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Murray be the difference.

Having said that, I would not be at all surprised if the Leafs beat them. They have pretty overwhelming firepower.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
No it’s not the same at all. None of the Habs players played on those Cup winners while most of the Pens key players played on those Cup winners.

Ok the Chicago blackhawks have won 3 cups toews Kane Seabrook Keith Crawford all on those teams. They gonna beat the leafs right?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Pretty much this as it stands.

But pens will turn it around fairly soon. Will be a playoff team and this will be a hard question to answer in a few months.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The Pens are a pretty darn good team when they are on and they definitely have experience on their side but right now I'd definitely take the Leafs. These are two teams at different stages of their "life cycle." That doesn't mean that the Pens can't beat the Leafs because they definitely can (they bottled up the Leafs offense the first game they played each other and then the Leafs returned the favor), it just means that the Leafs are favorites going into a series between the two teams and should win.

This is the first time in the last three years that the Leafs will head into the first round as a favorite.

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014

It's a bit different. None of those Habs on the 24 Cup teams are playing anymore. The best Penguins from the '16 and '17 teams are still playing for them.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad