Gulutz-end

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
The one thing that's really annoyed me about Gulutzan is his reluctance to switch things up. Our offence has dried up this month and yet we've ran the same 4 lines pretty much every game, I understand not wanting to break up the Jankowski line but there's still 3 other lines you could mix up trying to find a spark.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
One thing that Flames fans could always rely on is the fact this team would ooze heart. Even if they were boring, you knew they would give it their all and that was often worth the price of admission (and pretty much the only reason to pay anyway)

This is the best Flames team on paper we've had in forever. We finally have the talent to play exciting hockey without having to hemorrahage goals against. But this team still hasn't shaken off their "mediocre" tag, and now we have the added bonus of extremely boring hockey with players that probably don't even give a shit/have tuned the coach out. Honestly, there's an argument to be made that we've actually stagnated compared to where we were last season.

My problem with GG's tenure so far is that there is absolutely no accountability, from the part of the players or from him. Everyone is just too complacent. "We need to be better. We weren't ready" are empty words at this point.

No one has taken responsibility and made the effort to be better. Switching up the PP units about 20 games too late or juggling the lines when there's 7 minutes left in the 3rd, down by 2 doesn't inspire any confidence.

And this also falls on the players. How many times have we seen them "respond" and play a real solid first period after coming under fire for not playing a full 60 the night before? We get fooled into thinking that the "real Flames" are finally gonna show up but then they revert back to type, rinse and repeat for the next game.

This team needs someone that will be held accountable but someone that will also make sure the players are held accountable. Everyone is just a bit too cozy in their positions and that makes for some real uninspired performances

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Who would be a good coach right now?

Kruger?
Huska?

I think we need a big name coach. Our team doesnt seem to be easy to coach and I think they’ll need a big personality to make this work.

I’ve defended Glen but putting in Bartkowski as his big shakeup was just laughable lunacy.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Tippett, D.Sutter, R.Huska and D.Cameron

I'm guessing those would be the candidates to step in if Gulutzan was let go anytime soon. So, damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Might be better to wait until the summer when some bigger names could be available, like a Boudreau or possibly a Quenneville.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Tippett, D.Sutter, R.Huska and D.Cameron

I'm guessing those would be the candidates to step in if Gulutzan was let go anytime soon. So, damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Might be better to wait until the summer when some bigger names could be available, like a Boudreau or possibly a Quenneville.

I think it’s probably also much easier to clean house in the off-season. If they wanted to do a total coaching overhaul.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Huska were willing to do a caretaker role until the end of the season while his assistants manage Stockton, I'd be fine with that. Then go for a big name coach in the offseason unless Huska pulls a rabbit of a hat and goes far with us in the playoffs

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
We want someone that can make Monahan understand he is 6ft3 not 5ft5. Brodie and Hamilton understands good nhl dmen plays defense

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d let Huska have a shot. He’s had success at every level. Hasn’t had a ton of talent in the AHL but seemed to develop most of the guys that did.

If he doesn’t work, sign a big name in the offseason.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree, make Huska the “intern” and let him audition for the job. I’d also be very intrigued but Kruger and I think Oates would be a decent candidate. I also have to wonder if Treliving/Maloney go to Tippet because of their history.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I doubt Kruger leaves his current job and don't think he is a very good coach anyways to want him here. He would be one of the few downgrades on GG.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I doubt Kruger leaves his current job and don't think he is a very good coach anyways to want him here. He would be one of the few downgrades on GG.

Kruger's a really good coach, don't get that wrong.
He got life out of those Edmonton teams that didn't require McDavid playing 25 minutes a night, and Talbot playing at a Hasek level.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Kruger's a really good coach, don't get that wrong.
He got life out of those Edmonton teams that didn't require McDavid playing 25 minutes a night, and Talbot playing at a Hasek level.

Life?

They finished with the 7th worst record in the league.

He reminds me of Gulutzan in that there is nothing in his background to indicate success and a history of bad coaching.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The only adjustment they need is a coaching change. But it will be nice to see Mangiapane up. If they want scoring help, he's the only logical choice.

But with the way things are going, I said at the beginning of the year that season resembled B.Sutter's first. All we need now is D.Hamilton+Hathaway+Ollas-Mattsson to Toronto for Bozak+JVR+Martin+Marincin. Treliving might not be that stupid but ownership probably is.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Does nobody remember when Kruger got Europe to the WC final last year taking on much more talented teams? As much of a gong show as that tournament was, that was very impressive coaching from him.

I'd take Sutter first because I f***ing love Sutter hockey, but Kruger would not be a bad choice. Miles ahead of Gulutzan.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The only problem with Kruger of Sutter is that they play defensive systems.

I think this team is more suited to play up tempo hockey like a Laviolette style.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The only problem with Kruger of Sutter is that they play defensive systems.

I think this team is more suited to play up tempo hockey like a Laviolette style.

I would kill for Laviolette, to bad he’s not going anywhere.

Honestly I’m starting to wonder more and more about Tippett. I know Treliving and Maloney know he’s out there. We know Treliving is all about analytics and believes in playing possession hockey, these are the same 2 guys that had Tippett coach for them for years with a lacklustre product. I can’t help but wonder if they go back to the same well and approach Tippett if this team continues to struggle. Tippett is also a guy that is known as a top coach, he’s had success, he has respect, and I don’t think it would take much time the guys to adapt to his style.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'd rather Treliving not go back to the Arizona well personally. I also think there's no way Kruger comes back to the NHL. Isn't he the chairman of Southamption in England? Doubt he moves on that from that role to coach in the NHL again.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don’t mind Tippett as a coach. I honestly blame Treliving /Maloney more for Arizona’s failure. Tippett never had talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad