LeBrun: Guessing Tyson Barrie will ask 8M At Least. Has Become a “Big Fan” of Toronto

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Average defensively and less than 1ppg throughout career and even in his career year this season means he needs to get better or it’s yet another overpay.

So, for 6.9 million a season you're expecting a PPG+ player who is average or better defensively? And that's just for it to be a fair value contract, as anything less than that production is "yet another overpay".

You understand how insane that sounds to a normal person right?

You're gonna be really bummed out to learn about this guy named Ehlers on your team, he's even further from PPG and is worse defensively.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I can't see Dubas going more than 6-6.5.

If he really wants 8 he will be playing for a new team. Im sure he would have no trouble getting 7x7 somewhere.
leafs probably prefer to bring back muzzin anyways and Sandin and Liljegren will replace Barrie and Ceci

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Average defensively and less than 1ppg throughout career and even in his career year this season means he needs to get better or it’s yet another overpay.
You do realize the list of players who average a PPG for their career who have been drafted since 2010 is insanely short right? Just quickly checking, it is Matthews, McDavid, and Kucherov. Two of them have won a Hart Trophy already. A couple of guys are within 10 points of doing it, such as Eichel, Marner, and Pettersson. A couple may get there soon despite not being as close such as Pastrnak, MacKinnon, and Draisaitl. Now, it may be a bit easier for guys who entered the league in the back half of the 2010s to do it, due to an increase in scoring league-wide around 2017-18.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
You do realize the list of players who average a PPG for their career who have been drafted since 2010 is insanely short right? Just quickly checking, it is Matthews, McDavid, and Kucherov. Two of them have won a Hart Trophy already. A couple of guys are within 10 points of doing it, such as Eichel, Marner, and Pettersson. A couple may get there soon despite not being as close such as Pastrnak, MacKinnon, and Draisaitl. Now, it may be a bit easier for guys who entered the league in the back half of the 2010s to do it, due to an increase in scoring league-wide around 2017-18.
Patrick Kane has got to be close too right?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Patrick Kane has got to be close too right?
I only went back to players drafted since 2010. I'm sure there are other guys over it drafted prior to that date. Just quickly checking Stamkos, P. Kane, Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin are. I'm sure some others may have been over it at the same age as guys like Matthews, and someone like Thornton is killed partially by playing so many years in the DPE, and playing 1600 games.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I only went back to players drafted since 2010. I'm sure there are other guys over it drafted prior to that date. Just quickly checking Stamkos, P. Kane, Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin are. I'm sure some others may have been over it at the same age as guys like Matthews, and someone like Thornton is killed partially by playing so many years in the DPE, and playing 1600 games.
Ahh I thought it was players who had played since 2010 so was really surprised lol

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Saying you want to stay and love it there won’t give you more money, on the contrary they expect you to take a pay cut if you express tour satisfaction with playing in such market.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sounds about right, would happily bring him back to Colorado for that amount...especially if we could dump EJ to free the money up.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

Those facts aren’t a surprise to me. But $11M is too high for Tavares and what we know he brings (not that I dislike him or what he brings to the team). Just as $8M would be too high for Barrie and what he brings (not that I dislike him either, I think every team needs at least one guy like him).

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
leafs are not affording barrie its plain and simple. rather get some solid defensive guys and have sandin play on the PP. simply can't afford more talent, need to get some solid cheap defensive guys too

Reactions: mazmin

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
So, for 6.9 million a season you're expecting a PPG+ player who is average or better defensively? And that's just for it to be a fair value contract, as anything less than that production is "yet another overpay".

You understand how insane that sounds to a normal person right?

You're gonna be really bummed out to learn about this guy named Ehlers on your team, he's even further from PPG and is worse defensively.

Personally, I’d much rather have Ehlers at $6M than Nylander at $7M (6.963). $6M is fair for both players. And I may sound like I’m trying to split hairs but saving $0.9M - $1.0M per year on a contract helps future depth considerably. Dubas has made too many moves that sacrifice $1 million here and $2 million there (ex: Marner, Tavares) and it makes future cap management difficult.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Personally, I’d much rather have Ehlers at $6M than Nylander at $7M (6.963). $6M is fair for both players. And I may sound like I’m trying to split hairs but saving $0.9M - $1.0M per year on a contract helps future depth considerably. Dubas has made too many moves that sacrifice $1 million here and $2 million there (ex: Marner, Tavares) and it makes future cap management difficult.

Nylander is pretty comfortably better than Ehlers.

So let me get this straight, 6 million for a 60 point winger with no two-way game is fair value, but for 7 million, you expect a PPG+ winger with an above average defensive game for it to be fair value?

Also we're saving more on our bottom 6 than we over-spent on Marner/Tavares. Much rather have Marner and Tavares than have average 1st liners like Skinner at 9.5 and get to spend that extra money on an overpriced bottom-6 grinder.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
I'd hold off on any contract if I'm Toronto...at least until Pietrangelo resigns. Otherwise all in on Alex!

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
20 points his last 27 games....61 point pace.

And no defensive IQ whatsoever. His offensive production does not make up for his bone headed plays on almost every shift on D. If he was even average defensively, he'd be worth 8M, but the guys been brutal. He shouldn't get more than 7M, even that is assuming his defensive game can be worked on. Realistically he should be making around what he does now, maybe 6M, but UFAs always get over paid. If he wants anything north of 7M, let him walk.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Nylander is on a fair contract for what he brings. Marner is fair Tavares took less than San Jose and NYI offered him. Dubas hasn't overpaid for players any more than any other GM.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nylander is pretty comfortably better than Ehlers.

So let me get this straight, 6 million for a 60 point winger with no two-way game is fair value, but for 7 million, you expect a PPG+ winger with an above average defensive game for it to be fair value?

Also we're saving more on our bottom 6 than we over-spent on Marner/Tavares. Much rather have Marner and Tavares than have average 1st liners like Skinner at 9.5 and get to spend that extra money on an overpriced bottom-6 grinder.
What year is Nylander "pretty comfortably" better?

Every year they have posted very similar numbers and this year is far from over.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Anybody who gives Barrie a signficant raise signs a bad contract. He's not worth much more than what he's currently paid. Defenseman really shouldn't be paid purely on point production.

Did not think he was all that great when he was with the Avs either. He'd get points on the board but man he was allways also someone teams could focus on if they needed to generate scoring chances/goals because he was really sub-par defensively.

Last edited:

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Leafs should give him a blank check.
they should open the door and kick him out of there, he has been an absolutely dud, if I am dubas I give him away for whoever wants him, that trade did not work out of kadri for him and Kerfoot, he sucks too...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad