Speculation: Guess Binnington's next contract

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
He was our goalie that won 16 games so that we could all spend the season going broke while telling everyone within earshot that we're the Stanley Cup champions for the first time in franchise history. That wasn't happening with Allen in net, and it didn't happen with any other highly touted goalie that ever came through the organization.

No, he may not ever do that again. What it's worth going forward is what we're all debating. But for 2019, I'd call him the savior of the franchise.

I'm not disputing that he and Berube were the change the Blues needed to get where got.

I'm just saying his rebound control is a concern to me. I would hate for the Blues to tie up $9-10 mil a year in goalie salary if it is a continuing issue. The stars aligned for the Blues and us Blues fans in 2019.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
@Stupendous Yappi mentioned it in a now-closed thread, but Binny was 5th in Vezina voting (tied with Kuemper). He got two 2nd place votes and three 3rd place votes. Pretty nifty, even if Vasilevski getting 28 1st place votes conclusively demonstrates that NHL GMs shouldn't be picking the Vezina winner.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Binny's also got to know that the threat of having to start Allen if he holds out, is significantly in his favor.

Binnington may not have much leverage as an RFA per his negotiation rights. But he has a great bargaining position relative to the Blues when it comes to negotiating - I won you a cup and you can't trust Allen as a starter...

I almost wonder if he's better off not electing for arbitration, to remain open to offer sheets from other clubs. Granted, arbitration through unpleasant, lights a fire under the team to try and avoid arbitration putting a hard deadline on negotiations.

Why does Binny holding out preclude the Blues from replacing Allen with someone else?

We're almost certainly not going to get to a point where Binny is without an NHL contract in October, but if neither side files for arbitration, the Blues will absolutely be looking outside the organization for another goalie. Binny would be insane to hope for an offer sheet over an arbitration award. There has only been one offer sheet signed under this CBA and it was done mid-season during the lockout shortened season when Colorado couldn't get him signed.

At the end of the day, the Blues will end up matching any offer sheet that isn't ludicrous and why would another team rush to give us draft picks so they can badly overpay for a goalie?

Binny has made less than $1 mil in his career pre tax/agent/escrow/etc. He has substantially more to lose by sitting out the season than the Blues have in hitting the UFA/trade market.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
@Stupendous Yappi mentioned it in a now-closed thread, but Binny was 5th in Vezina voting (tied with Kuemper). He got two 2nd place votes and three 3rd place votes. Pretty nifty, even if Vasilevski getting 28 1st place votes conclusively demonstrates that NHL GMs shouldn't be picking the Vezina winner.

I dunno I view Vasiy as totally deserving. I know he played behind a stacked offensive powerhouse but that team gave up a hell of a lot of high quality chances.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Blues Wii become laughing stock IF we dont agree with Binny's asking price. Sitting one the best NHL goaltender while running with worst one in the net after Stanley Cup year would be hilarious. Hardball your best player. Never gonna happend.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Binny is far more deserving of Jake Allen's contract and imo that's what his deal should look like maybe plus a million per year.

First Rookie to win ALL 16 Postseason games AND brought home the Cup, PAY HIM.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'm not disputing that he and Berube were the change the Blues needed to get where got.

I'm just saying his rebound control is a concern to me. I would hate for the Blues to tie up $9-10 mil a year in goalie salary if it is a continuing issue. The stars aligned for the Blues and us Blues fans in 2019.
I have reason to believe that holes in Binnington's game can be fixed. That's something I can't say about Allen after however many years at the NHL level and an increasing frequency of his weaknesses getting exploited.

And no, I'm not saying give him $9-10 million per year right now. (A 2nd Cup? He gets a hell of a lot more expensive.) I am saying that the notion of him getting $3 million or so next season is detached from reality.

Last edited:

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
I have reason to believe that holes in Binnington's game can be fixed. That's something I can't say about Allen after however many years at the NHL level and an increasing frequency of his weaknesses getting exploited.

And no, I'm not saying give him $9-10 million per year right now. (A 2nd Cup? He gets a hell of a lot more expensive.) I am saying that the notion of him getting $3 million or so next season is detached from reality.

Sorry, I wan't clear about the goalie salary situation. People are talking about 5/5 for Binnington. That, with Allens $4.35 puts the Blues at, at least $9.35 mil in Goalie salary.

I guess I just have a hard time committing your future to someone who's played 32 regular season and 26 playoff games. Granted, he's played well but that's a pretty small sample size too throw that much dough at. Who knows? Binnington may want more. We know he had a chip on his shoulders (don't blame him) for how he felt he was treated in the past.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Sorry, I wan't clear about the goalie salary situation. People are talking about 5/5 for Binnington. That, with Allens $4.35 puts the Blues at, at least $9.35 mil in Goalie salary.

I guess I just have a hard time committing your future to someone who's played 32 regular season and 26 playoff games. Granted, he's played well but that's a pretty small sample size too throw that much dough at. Who knows? Binnington may want more. We know he had a chip on his shoulders (don't blame him) for how he felt he was treated in the past.
I agree, I wouldn't give him 5+ years right now. 4 would be pushing it. 3 is possible, but I don't know if he goes 3 - plus, then you're probably talking $15+ million because you're buying a year of UFA. It's why I keep talking about a 1-year deal, because I think that's the most likely landing spot. He gets another year to show what he can do for a full season, but he gets paid for backstopping us to the Cup, but then it leaves one season before he hits UFA so we can evaluate and do a longer-term deal from there if we like what we see. And if that goes well, I have no doubt he gets paid.

Reactions: Zamadoo and Alklha

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I gotta be honest. I trust JR’s speculation as much as a I trust a fart after a night of drinking ending with a slinger at Courtesy Diner.
Well, I could take a bet JR is closer in his prediction like some members in here who has been way of their heads.

Edit: as for a prediction, I think this one either goes to arbitration or results in a 1 year, $3.5-$4 mil deal on the eve of a hearing neither side wants to have.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I gotta be honest. I trust JR’s speculation as much as a I trust a fart after a night of drinking ending with a slinger at Courtesy Diner.
Well, I could take a bet JR is closer in his prediction like some members in here who has been way of their heads.

I don't trust anything JR says but won't put in writing after some of his nonsense this year where he is happy to say "well trust me, I'm going to half report this but can't explain fully since no on will go on the record." With that said, I desperately hope that he is wrong about a potential 6 year deal for Binny. There isn't a goalie in the league who I would happily give a 6 year deal to. Full Stop. There are maybe 5 goalies in the league who I would confidently say will be squarely above average starters for the next 4 years and that's only if you are willing to accept that they will almost certainly be statistically below average for at least one of those 4 years. I understand that there are times where you have to give term in order to lock a top end guy up (see almost every UFA contract signed in the last 48 hours). I get that in order to sign one of the elite goaltending group, you have to suck it up and give more term than you would like to give. But that doesn't mean 6 years on a goalie is smart and you sure as hell shouldn't give that term to a guy with 2 more years of RFA control and fewer than 100 NHL games on his resume.

I would prefer to give Binny any amount of money on a 1 year deal than anything above $2.5 mil on a 6 year deal (which is obviously an incredibly stupid contract from Binny's persepctive and would never happen). Being forced to pay market value on Binny a year from now after a great season is significantly less damaging to the franchise than giving out a 6 year deal that locks you into a goalie who turns out to be simply an average NHL starter. A 6 year term if he winds up being anything less than an average starter is a complete disaster. That's the kind of contract that can cripple a franchise in the middle of a Cup window. I truly hope such a contract wouldn't end up that way and I do think that Binny isn't going to collapse in years 2 onward, but a 6 year contract to Binny could very well end up being the worst contract Army has ever handed out by a wide margin.

Last edited:
Reactions: LGB and Alklha

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think there is huge difference to be mediocre goaltender and never proven #1 and getting 4.350mill.$ AAV x 4-years than goaltender who proves he's #1 goaltender, carry team and bring first Stanley Cup for St. Louis franchise.

I wouldn't talk about bad contract behind of Binnington name at all. He has earned every dollar what ever he'll get for next contract.

I doubt Binnington will fall to NHL worst starter level like Allen did. Allen and Binnington are totally opposite what comes to athletics who compete in highest level and can handle toughest pressure and not collapse mentally.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad