Speculation: Guess Binnington's next contract

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
@Mud the ACAS why don’t you just post your prediction in a simple manner?

So far, all I can tell from your plethora of beat-around-the-bush posts is that you think it will be a 1 or 2 year deal.

Please post your prediction in a simple post because I don’t feel like reading through all of the nonsense in this thread.

1 year at what amount?

2 years at what amount?

EDIT: 1 year at $4-5m?

Is that your guess?
My guess: 1 year, whatever Allen is making this season. I seriously doubt he takes less, and while @Brian39 has said he doesn't see a comparable I've lobbed out several - including Allen's current contract - that get Binnington there.

I've been pretty consistent with that notion since after June 12. I'm sorry you didnt feel like you could derive something close to that from any number of posts I've made on this subject.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
My guess: 1 year, whatever Allen is making this season. I seriously doubt he takes less, and while @Brian39 has said he doesn't see a comparable I've lobbed out several - including Allen's current contract - that get Binnington there.

I've been pretty consistent with that notion since after June 12. I'm sorry you didnt feel like you could derive something close to that from any number of posts I've made on this subject.
Eventually I derived it. And now I’ve noticed the poll.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
2 years is not great, but I like it better than 4 at the same money honestly. If he's the real deal and puts up crazy numbers the next two years then we have a great goalie on a great deal for two years and a pretty good shot at making another run at the Cup. He might walk after that, but that's part of the game. If he comes crashing back to Earth we're only saddled with the deal for two years. If he's somewhere in between we'll probably be able to extend him for a similar number when his deal is up. It's fine. Not great, not terrible.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Wow. Thanks for everything he’s done but that seems insane. 4.4 mil per and takes him straight to UFA?

I love him but that’s brutal. 3 years at that would have made sense. Or 1 year 5 mil. They couldn’t have played it worse.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
People came into this with unrealistic expectations. That's about what I expected when he made an argument for Conn Smythe. Last thing we want to do is piss off the best goaltender we've had in a while.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
I don’t like walking him straight to UFA while paying that much.
You probably know more than I do about this stuff, but it seems like both parties get something out of this deal. Binnington gets life changing money and multiple years, as well as the ability to dictate his next contract by his play over the next two years. The Blues get some risk mitigation in the off chance that Binnington’s run was just a flash in the pan (because $4.4M AAV is not at all crippling) and the term is not at all coincidental; right when Jake comes off the books too.

If Binny continues to be the real deal, two things can happen: 1) Jake can be traded at the end of next year to free up money for Pietro/Schenn extensions and 2) Binny’s next contract can absorb some of Jake’s money when we can get a true #2.

This seems win/win to me; maybe I am an optimist.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
What, did you guys expect him to sign for any less than 4.35 AAV(Allen's pay)? There's no way he was going to sign for anything less than Allen after stealing his spot and winning a cup for us(and rightfully so). I'm not sure how in the hell you guys expected to sign him for anything less. Honestly I was expecting him to get 5 mil or more AAV.

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Pretty crazy turn of events to go from being expendable to a cornerstone of the franchise. Thank the gods Jake sucked so bad at the beginning of last year or Binny would have likely signed for another team's AHL depth

LBlues24

May 3, 2017
Not a huge fan of the contract but nothing I didn’t expect. It just wouldn’t seem right to offer our STANLEY CUP WINNING goalie anything less than Allen’s current AAV, and 2 years makes sense for Binny.

If he continues to be great, we have a legitimate chance at another cup. If not, only tied up for two years. Love this f***ing dude and just happy to keep him here either way!

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, I’m wondering what exactly any of you were expecting out of this deal to dislike it this much honestly. He had no reason to not want either want a short term deal in order to maximize his deal while also wanting a substantial pay raise because obviously.

I’m pretty happy with the price tag because it makes it easy for us to get everyone else reigned and give us breathing room most likely. Hopefully he proves to be an elite goalie for 2 years then we can revisit.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Wow. Thanks for everything he’s done but that seems insane. 4.4 mil per and takes him straight to UFA?

I love him but that’s brutal. 3 years at that would have made sense. Or 1 year 5 mil. They couldn’t have played it worse.

1 year 5M is the same as 2 years 10M as far as Binnington’s camp is concerned. They could have just gone straight to UFA after taking the qualifying offer for 1 year.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Binnington is two years away from UFA. If we get a contract worked out through negotiation, I agree that a two year deal is extremely unlikely.

However, if Binnington goes through arbitration then we have to accept the fact that he can walk himself to UFA at 27 and we can't stop that. Even if we elect for a one year deal, Binnington could just go to arbitration again next summer and he would only be eligible for a one year deal at that point.

So in the scenario where Binnington elects for arbitration this summer, it's probably best to take the two year deal. It doesn't change anything. The player can still end up a UFA in 2021 and we can still sign him to a long term extension next summer. The benefit of the two year deal is avoiding another arbitration hearing, which GMs don't like because he is basically walking in a room and explaining why his player isn't worth X and how he isn't as good as Y. Plus, it means Binnington is signed through 2020/21 and we're not dealing with Pietrangelo, Schenn, Dunn and Binnington salary jumps all at the same time.

Aamen.

So Army wanted to avoid another arbitration in next summer with this 2-year contract.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Hey, I was wrong! Oh well!

Not tooooo far off. I said 3 yrs at 3.5 AAV and it wound up being 2 yrs at 4.4 AAV. Well...yeah...kinda far off.....

I guess, in the end, he had to wind up making at least a tiny bit more than Allen.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
People came into this with unrealistic expectations. That's about what I expected when he made an argument for Conn Smythe. Last thing we want to do is piss off the best goaltender we've had in a while.
Exactly! I was going out of the box. It just wound up being out of a different box.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
What, did you guys expect him to sign for any less than 4.35 AAV(Allen's pay)? There's no way he was going to sign for anything less than Allen after stealing his spot and winning a cup for us(and rightfully so). I'm not sure how in the hell you guys expected to sign him for anything less. Honestly I was expecting him to get 5 mil or more AAV.

If it was RFA years, yes. The dollar and term here makes me think he's gonna go UFA at first opportunity. I get the feeling he's holding a grudge for the attempt to be sent to the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad