Guerin Named New Wild GM

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
All he does is make moves as favors for other teams (like when he took Sheary and Hunwick from you (guys you needed to unload because of the cap) and put in a stip that if we flipped Hunwick we would pay a penalty). But mysteriously nobody seems willing to do favors for us. And as for the 6th round thing: multiple teams in that draft traded their 6th and they all got additional value for doing so. And we won't even get into him trading ROR for literally the 3 worst players on the entire Blues roster.

A) You're over estimating the favor there. The favor wasn't him taking Sheary, it was him taking Hunwick. Sheary despite only being a depth player was still a solid depth add for Buffalo (a team lacking in quality depth players). And we didn't need to unload both, only one. Unloading both just allowed JR to go FA shopping (something that few wanted him to do).

B) Care to give some examples? Because complaining that no one is doing anything for Buffalo while not providing examples (or pointing to big expensive contracts that BUF wants a premium for) isn't in the same realm as taking a slightly later pick (10-15 spots back) late in the draft 12 months down the line.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
A) You're over estimating the favor there. The favor wasn't him taking Sheary, it was him taking Hunwick. Sheary despite only being a depth player was still a solid depth add for Buffalo (a team lacking in quality depth players). And we didn't need to unload both, only one. Unloading both just allowed JR to go FA shopping (something that few wanted him to do).

B) Care to give some examples? Because complaining that no one is doing anything for Buffalo while not providing examples (or pointing to big expensive contracts that BUF wants a premium for) isn't in the same realm as taking a slightly later pick (10-15 spots back) late in the draft 12 months down the line.
Yes, I'm aware Hunwick was the cap albatross we were taking back. Taking him off your hands was doing you a solid. So why did we have a clause where if we somehow flipped him we would have to pay a penalty for him?

Look at every single transaction Botts has made and point to a single one where the other GM did us a favor? The only trade he has made that he won was getting a guy who essentially wanted to go nowhere else but Buffalo because going to Toronto would've been impossible.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yes, I'm aware Hunwick was the cap albatross we were taking back. Taking him off your hands was doing you a solid. So why did we have a clause where if we somehow flipped him we would have to pay a penalty for him?

No, taking him off our hands was the price to get Sheary. Big difference there. And clearly this affects the rest of your views if you can't distinguish that.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think I did Bill a favor:

NWRQABl.png

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't really care about that, as I don't actually think it's that simple or nearly that predictable.

Ok serious question, what the f*** makes you think that won't be the case?

Jason Botterill left, and Bill Geurin who is in Karmanos' spot, moved up into Botts' role and so if Guerin leaves...then.

It's how that succession works. It's not me assuming it, it's how the Pens have done things.

Shero and Fitz were here, Botts moved up and JR came in as GM. Botts left, Billy took his role, Billy left, the only logical step is Karmanos takes that role.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ok serious question, what the **** makes you think that won't be the case?

Jason Botterill left, and Bill Geurin who is in Karmanos' spot, moved up into Botts' role and so if Guerin leaves...then.

It's how that succession works. It's not me assuming it, it's how the Pens have done things.

Shero and Fitz were here, Botts moved up and JR came in as GM. Botts left, Billy took his role, Billy left, the only logical step is Karmanos takes that role.

But being the most senior AGM here doesn't mean he's in line to be the next Pens GM. If that's how it went, Rutherford wouldn't be here to begin with.

Reactions: Riptide

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
True - but in doing so, he ran out the clock on his owner's patience and lost his job. Are Minnesota's ownership prepared to be more patient than Philly's, and than they were with Fenton? Because if yes, they should get Hextall.

If they think they've got something going on and want a guy to go in and make changes, probably not him.

Also, who's Mellanby?

Scott

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
But being the most senior AGM here doesn't mean he's in line to be the next Pens GM. If that's how it went, Rutherford wouldn't be here to begin with.
That has nothing to do with who was promoted. Pens were wanting to groom Fitzgerald, Botterill, and Guerin.

When Shero left, he took Fitzgerald with him to New Jersey.
Botterill basically saw his fast track and I think this was when JR was extended the first time.
Guerin left to be a GM with the Wild, JR is still our GM for the indefinite future and Guerin knows that.

But each one took over for the next for the Assistant GM's. If you think that Karmanos and his extensive experience isn't going to be the main AGM, I don't know what to tell you, they will add a 2nd AGM, but I would put money on Karmanos being the next right hand man for JR (which on the website, he already is).

I don't get why people are being so whiny about this, were people blind to this the whole f***ing time we had AGMs or what? Ignoring how everything went, they suddenly then decide to ignore how they've done things?

You're all smarter than that (i hope).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That has nothing to do with who was promoted. Pens were wanting to groom Fitzgerald, Botterill, and Guerin.

When Shero left, he took Fitzgerald with him to New Jersey.
Botterill basically saw his fast track and I think this was when JR was extended the first time.
Guerin left to be a GM with the Wild, JR is still our GM for the indefinite future and Guerin knows that.

But each one took over for the next for the Assistant GM's. If you think that Karmanos and his extensive experience isn't going to be the main AGM, I don't know what to tell you, they will add a 2nd AGM, but I would put money on Karmanos being the next right hand man for JR (which on the website, he already is).

I don't get why people are being so whiny about this, were people blind to this the whole ****ing time we had AGMs or what? Ignoring how everything went, they suddenly then decide to ignore how they've done things?

All depends on who the next AGM is, and how things work out. The "plan" could be that Karmanos is the right hand guy, but that could very easily change - either from Rutherford or from direction from above.

But your statement was "Karmanos is next in line for the succession to GM". And I stand by my response that I don't actually think it's that simple or nearly that predictable - especially as it likely won't be Rutherford who gets to make that choice. It'll either be JR's current boss or it will be another owner who's making a choice on who they want.

Just because Karmanos gets the AGM job (which he already has) doesn't mean he's going to be our GM.

Nor does it mean he'll be the next of our AGMs to get a GM gig. Or that he'll be the right hand guy of the 2 AGMs. And stating otherwise before we even know who the next AGM will be seems really shortsighted.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Except Karmanos was VP of Hockey Ops when Fitz, Botts, and G were here. Two left and he became AGM with Billy.

But sure, lets live in denial.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I don't get why people are being so whiny about this, were people blind to this the whole ****ing time we had AGMs or what? Ignoring how everything went, they suddenly then decide to ignore how they've done things?

What I've taken out of this thread is that I'm a little surprised about the positive reaction to Billy G in general, when all I can recall is all negativity in this forum (regarding Guerin) to the point it had me believe Guerin was a problem here. So which is it?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Except Karmanos was VP of Hockey Ops when Fitz, Botts, and G were here. Two left and he became AGM with Billy.

But sure, lets live in denial.

So Karmanos was VP of hockey ops... and has been passed over twice for a GM gig and somehow he's now next in line? You're logic is flawless. :sarcasm:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Look at every single transaction Botts has made and point to a single one where the other GM did us a favor? The only trade he has made that he won was getting a guy who essentially wanted to go nowhere else but Buffalo because going to Toronto would've been impossible.

Important to read this mindset when criticizing our GM. Reminder to myself as well.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What I've taken out of this thread is that I'm a little surprised about the positive reaction to Billy G in general, when all I can recall is all negativity in this forum (regarding Guerin) to the point it had me believe Guerin was a problem here. So which is it?
The post you quoted was about Karmanos, not Billy G.

I've never said Billy was a problem here, I don't know what his scope was as the Assistant GM, but as a Development Scout, he seemed to be highly praised by a lot of players and I wish the guy well.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So Karmanos was VP of hockey ops... and has been passed over twice for a GM gig and somehow he's now next in line? You're logic is flawless. :sarcasm:

Karmanos left for the Pens not so long after JR became GM. He was VP of Hockey Ops when we had Fitzgerald and Botterill as AGM's and Guerin was Player Development.

When Fitz left, Guerin became AGM with Botts.
When Botts left, Karmanos became AGM with Guerin.

You see where this is going? Because it's literally where its going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad