Guelph Storm 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Don’t stop there. Add Petizian as well to go with D’Amato. It rounds out your OA group and you’ll be adding two point a game players to your top six. As OA’s they wouldn’t be as expensive as 19-year-old point a gamers. It would greatly improve your forward group relatively inexpensively.

I am a little hesitant to send any picks Kitchener's way after that haul they got for X (well done by the way, I will eat crow.) But respect to Petizian, you're right that he would be a good add, I just see the RW as a top need for the forward group, biggest need is still G or D but I don't know who would be a good trade partner in that regard... may just let the top 4 play and get Allen and Buchinger big minutes for development.

Reactions: EvenSteven

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
What is sikic’s game like? You guys will love reesor, big stay at home defenceman that’s great in his own end, physical. Type of guy you win playoff series with. Guy will play on your third line, he’s physical and will. Be a grinder and pot some goals here and there.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Given how things are shaking out, I am wondering if George IS buying... a Thompson/Stillman deal would be pulling a rabbit out of the hat and addressing a lot of need. Top line RW + top 4 D to play with Reesor.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Guelph trades Harper to Kitchener. It makes sense with Reesor moving in, need to make room... for yet another D as well?

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Interesting deadline for the Storm. I am guessing that Burnett filled all the OA spots in case something panned out to go all in. Interesting to see what Reesor brings and ride out the season. Here's hoping that Pastujov is back next year.

I, for one, am looking forward to watching some Storm hockey from the comfort of home tonight... it's been a while.

Stormdude

Jan 20, 2016
The next 3 games have been postponed due to COVID protocols. So, no Storm hockey tonight on TV.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
No rust tonight despite a month since playing.

Zhilkin out tonight, so a mismatch of Patujov, Poitras and Guy on the top line. Not something we will likely see moving forward. Zhugin looking good with Karabela and Bowman! Karabela shifting to C when Poitras moves up to the first line is actually a benefit. He is great on faceoffs. Play our cards right and next year we definitely have a lines 1a and 1b situation as we did in 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormdude

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Remember this post...
2022 OHL Final:
Guelph vs Hamilton

Hamilton will be scary... they are definitely the favourites. Whoever is there it will be an interesting final as it will be the first time the East meets West and barely any of the players were rostered when teams last faced each other.

Reactions: nelli27

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Nice win today to avoid a winless weekend.

They got their legs back after a month long absence.

Here's hoping they keep clicking. It would be nice to see Pastujov get his scoring touch back. I don't know if the league has adapted to his moves and are better neutralizing him, but he needs to put up points instead of sitting in the box.

Reactions: three dog night

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
A post into the void...

My thoughts on the Storm levelling out since the break. They went from first in the conference to where we are now.

1. Other teams obviously added for big runs. Namely SSM with Thompson. They have become the favourites out of the west in my opinion.

2. George adds experience/leadership... but as of right now it's creating more problems. Hear me out. We would likely all agree that Reesor is a positive add. The issue is that it bumps down the defense pairing of Allen/Buchinger, which, you can quote me, will be the best D pairing in the O in a couple of years. Buchinger with 20 pts so far, Allen with 14. Now we have Reesor/25 as the 2nd pairing... but 25 also ends up getting put on forward duties occasionally as George tries to figure out what the heck to do with him.

3. Lines in the blender. Papais being out hurts our top six. But also, our top 6 on paper has never been our top 6 based on play. Guy in mixes the lines up a bit. We need to resign ourselves to the fact that Karabela, Poitras and Bowman are a force, regardless of the number of games played. To that end, before the deadline we were the youngest team and owned it - all players gave their all and we saw great Guelph Storm hockey. Now we have some more vets................

4. Pastujov has slowed down his pace, he does not have the jump or energy that he did before the deadline. I don't know if Covid is a factor but I think players in the league are now wise to his moves. As a plus, I think this increases the likelihood he's back next year.

I think this all leads to Guelph settling into an "expected" position heading into playoffs. I never count them out in the playoffs though. George is not afraid to make in game adjustments and bench players/mix things up. That being said, we will see this team reach full potential in the future.

StormCity73

Jan 29, 2022
Royal City
Storm fan coming in peace. Just found out about this site. Made my day to see that we can chat with other Guelph fans on here. Don't want to start negative but losing 5 of our last 6? I wanted to ask what gives but great analysis StormWatcher.

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Storm fan coming in peace. Just found out about this site. Made my day to see that we can chat with other Guelph fans on here. Don't want to start negative but losing 5 of our last 6? I wanted to ask what gives but great analysis StormWatcher.

Welcome!!!! It's been a bit quiet on this thread since Covid, but playoffs should pick things up a bit.

geo105

May 3, 2014
Anyone out there have any idea what is happening with the Storm. Last night is a perfect example of their play of late. A great 58 minute effort, then bang. From a tea, before Christmas that many were talking about, to an also ran now.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Anyone out there have any idea what is happening with the Storm. Last night is a perfect example of their play of late. A great 58 minute effort, then bang. From a tea, before Christmas that many were talking about, to an also ran now.

I posted my thoughts above. I'll add that Larry Mellott mentioned on the weekend that Pastujov got hit harder than others on the team with Covid. We could be seeing some of that. Out tonight are: Pastujov, Papais and Profaca... those are big losses when we don't have a lot of depth. I'm not too worried, hoping all are healthy and have gelled by playoffs and then it would be nice to get a couple of rounds in before going for it next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad