Guelph Storm 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Just picked up my ticket books. How many hours until puck drop?

I was definitely off on calling a Bennett/Grimes duo in net. Kudos to Oster I suppose for knocking out the older Grimes.

Glad Pastujov will start the season in Guelph and can't wait to see these kids play spoiler.

Edited to add: I also like what they are doing with game credits in addition to reception games as we know the redemptions will be a crap shoot depending on capacity.

Last edited:

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
And Burchell shafts the Storm once again on a non goal in OT. Bennett covers the puck, whistle blows, Bennett pushed half way into the net and with nobody seeing the puck anywhere and no goal call from either of the refs it still ends up being a goal to end the game.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
And Burchell shafts the Storm once again on a non goal in OT. Bennett covers the puck, whistle blows, Bennett pushed half way into the net and with nobody seeing the puck anywhere and no goal call from either of the refs it still ends up being a goal to end the game.

Burchell doesn't just do that to the Storm, he does that to everyone

Reactions: sbpointer

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Oster in tonight. We definitely need our goaltending to step up... we can't have a goal per 5 shots. I miss Daws.

GermanSpitfire, a very good question. He is in tonight, the original lineup switched to Paquette (F) out and Hafenrichter in (7 D are dressed.) Guelph has a lot of good defensemen... I am honestly unsure why they picked up Harper to start the season and waived Has. Hafenrichter is in a bit of a numbers game... hopefully he can put in some good work to move up into the 4/5 role.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Guelph picks up their first win and leads the league in goals for. The Pastujov/Zhilkin/Sikic line and the Karabela/Poitras/Bowman line are reminding me of Storm teams past where the lines are so interchangeable. If we can hold other teams to fewer goals it is going to be a very fun season to watch.

Where is that post about where Guelph will get its goals?!

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Nice debut for Oster. Still not sure where he was last weekend, but whats done is done.

D needs to help out more too - still lots of high quality chances given up, IMO. Expect it to improve as they get more games under their belts.

team can score, tho

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Will Chayka be moved this year?
Wouldn't surprise me if they did. Guelph is on a youth kick this year (no OAs, 4 16 y.o.) Also limited draft capital (only one extra 2nd in foreseeable future). I think they keep him until new year to help Buchinger, Hafenrichter and Allen develop, then trade for several high end picks. Guelph's not going anywhere this year and Chayka won't be back next year so trading him makes sense. Just need to maximize the return.

Reactions: LDN

geo105

May 3, 2014
Totally agree TBS! this will be a learning year with the future looking good.. Do we actually need to trade for OAs? If we can get one more for leadership and teaching than high end performance, I say go for it, the cost will probably low, 3rd and/or 4th round picks. Goal tending doesn't look horrible, with more experience and good coaching it will improve.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
They should start Oster in the second to wake up Bennett.
Also, flip lines 2 and 3, I know that the Poitras line may be able to take advantage of the bottom 6 on other team's lineups, but the Walker line is not contributing even in a shut down role. McFarlane is not looking like a top 6 forward. Age is nothing but a number on this Storm team, you need to earn your ice from goalie out.
It will be interesting to see when they decide to name the leaders on the team.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
They should start Oster in the second to wake up Bennett.
Also, flip lines 2 and 3, I know that the Poitras line may be able to take advantage of the bottom 6 on other team's lineups, but the Walker line is not contributing even in a shut down role. McFarlane is not looking like a top 6 forward. Age is nothing but a number on this Storm team, you need to earn your ice from goalie out.
It will be interesting to see when they decide to name the leaders on the team.
I agree, it should have been Oster starting tonight. The defense is absolutely non existent tonight. Completely willing to let Kitchener come in to the zone and take shots on Bennett. There is no drive to win this game from anyone. Bad passes, lazy play. They need someone or something to come in and shake this team up.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I think Guelph has to address Team Defense and not just the Defense. Their defense wasnt the problem. Some shaky goaltending and the forwards are young and not the most competitive group I have seen. They like offense and going north but not south. Kitchener has some skilled speedy forwards and thus more emphasis on forwards helping out with back check and defense. JMO

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I think Guelph has to address Team Defense and not just the Defense. Their defense wasnt the problem. Some shaky goaltending and the forwards are young and not the most competitive group I have seen. They like offense and going north but not south. Kitchener has some skilled speedy forwards and thus more emphasis on forwards helping out with back check and defense. JMO

It differs line by line (the GAF meter). What has kept the Walker/Burnett era Storm competetive year after year recently is the high GAF meter of every player... it's not just about having star power, but everyone giving their all, scoring by committee, team defence, etc. Hopefully in the months to come we will see that instilled again. I don't mind if we're a team in the bottom half of the rankings if they are working together. They should be scary good in a year or two. I am definitely leaning towards seeing Chayka dealt at the deadline. Pastujov and Zhilkin should be back next year.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Well that was definitely a better played game last night. A couple of oops plays but that's to be expected this early on. But there was more fight (no pun intended) in the boys, more desire to win puck battles, faceoffs, passes were much better and Oster is definitely making it known he wants the number 1 spot. Hopefully Sundays game goes just as well.

Reactions: StormWatcher

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Well that was definitely a better played game last night. A couple of oops plays but that's to be expected this early on. But there was more fight (no pun intended) in the boys, more desire to win puck battles, faceoffs, passes were much better and Oster is definitely making it known he wants the number 1 spot. Hopefully Sundays game goes just as well.
You played Sarnia and won, don't get too excited. Signed dejected Sting fan

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Nico Daws gets his first NHL start tonight!! It doesn't look like it's televised in this area so help viewing would be appreciated.

Reactions: sbpointer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad