Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Huskies on tap this afternoon
I have not seen them in person yet but I'm told they are a fast team. The Storm while eventually beating London and Ottawa had problems with their speedy games. Since this is just a single game I will admit their apparent speed scares me a bit.

The boys cannot accept another slow start. Figuratively and literally. Look at how slow the Raiders were last night and Halifax had zero problems in beating them.
Cliche time but the boys have to come out fast and hit.

Poppy got away with an ugly goal Sunday, hopefully none of that this weekend.

Mainly just excited to see the boys playing live at the Memorial Cup again.

Reactions: AttackSound

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Lets go boys! Come out fast and hard and send the message that this team isn't to be considered the underdog of the tournament.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
According to plan......oven mitts gives up a softy, but then the storm settle down and start to take control

Torpo with the natural hat trick
Ralph a +3

Keep it going boys

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Hello Storm fans, Blues fan tuning into this game. Toropchenko is our only current draft pick in the Memorial Cup so I am all in on your bandwagon!

Reactions: OSA and battfan888

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Congratulations on your victory today.
I hope Guelph plays a little tighter defensively in the upcoming games.
The 2nd period and such was too loose.
The Quebec team had multiple multiple chances and could of scored a bunch in the 2nd period alone.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
According to plan......oven mitts gives up a softy, but then the storm settle down and start to take control ...
While I admit that first R-N goal did look like a "softie" from my real-time view upstairs (pretty much a straight line-of-sight through the shooter to the goal), the replay made me realize what a good shot it was & that Popovich had to pick up his view of the puck coming through the defender. Quick shot, close to his body, tough to stop for any goalie. He played solidly thereafter, and was brilliant in the 3rd.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
1 thing I did notice Guelph "looked" faster than I have seen them play all year and were into this 1 right out of the gate. If they keep this up they will not be an easy out for any of the other teams.

Reactions: storm surge

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Quick shot, close to his body, tough to stop for any goalie.
Sorry, but this was the definition of a soft goal. It was a 1 on 2, no support, defender boxed him out and was closing. The goaltender knew the shot was coming right then otherwise the defender was on him. Popovich was well out of his net cutting down the angle to show nothing to shoot at. The defender adjusted as the shot was released to give clear line of sight. Popovich let this one in under his arm. Why his arms were away from his body to begin with stumps me, as the goaltender had taken away the wide shot by being so far out on the white ice.

Not one analyst or post game commenter made any mention of how that save should have been anything other than routine.

I am rooting for Guelph at the tournament too, but lets be honest that goal was soft.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Sorry, but this was the definition of a soft goal. It was a 1 on 2, no support, defender boxed him out and was closing. The goaltender knew the shot was coming right then otherwise the defender was on him. Popovich was well out of his net cutting down the angle to show nothing to shoot at. The defender adjusted as the shot was released to give clear line of sight. Popovich let this one in under his arm. Why his arms were away from his body to begin with stumps me, as the goaltender had taken away the wide shot by being so far out on the white ice.

Not one analyst or post game commenter made any mention of how that save should have been anything other than routine.

I am rooting for Guelph at the tournament too, but lets be honest that goal was soft.
that was a common systems adjustment goal.. .. also designed to psyche the opposition into believing its gonna be a soft touch game..works pretty good eh?..

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Not one analyst or post game commenter made any mention of how that save should have been anything other than routine. ...
Well, make that one post game commenter who did, but I don't qualify as an analyst. And 19 year-old amateur hockey players should be allowed a mistake, especially early in his first Memorial Cup game. Popovich certainly made up for it in subsequent Game #2 play. Now the whole team needs to bear down for 60 minutes on Tuesday night, for the chance to face Halifax one more time.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Ok so obviously a lot needs to happen but with 3 games in the round robin done there is still a way Guelph can get the bye to the final.

First of all Rouyn Noranda must win tonight as a Raiders win gives Halifax the bye.
Then the Storm must beat the Raiders tomorrow to make PA go 0-3 and send them home.

Then the Huskies would need to beat Halifax on Wednesday. That would make The Huskies, Storm and Moosheads all 2-1 at which point the team with the best goal differential against the teams they are tied with would get the bye.
Guelph has already played both teams and their differential is +1. The Huskies currently are at -3 and the Mooseheads currently at +2. Should the game results fall the way Guelph needs them too they need the Huskies to win Wednesday by at least 2 goals but no more than 4. If all that happens Guelph would get the bye. If the Huskies won by 5 then they would get the bye and Guelph would get "home ice" in the semi final vs Halifax.

Regardless of all those scenarios Guelph wasnt good enough to win last night and they need to beat PA tomorrow to guarantee themselves at least a semi final game as a tie breaker usually means death in this tournament (09 Spits and 12 Cats aside)

One things for sure Poppy has definitely brought his A game to Halifax. First goal Saturday aside he has been fantastic otherwise and kept yesterdays game much closer than it could have been.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Ok so obviously a lot needs to happen but with 3 games in the round robin done there is still a way Guelph can get the bye to the final.

First of all Rouyn Noranda must win tonight as a Raiders win gives Halifax the bye.
Then the Storm must beat the Raiders tomorrow to make PA go 0-3 and send them home.

Then the Huskies would need to beat Halifax on Wednesday. That would make The Huskies, Storm and Moosheads all 2-1 at which point the team with the best goal differential against the teams they are tied with would get the bye.
Guelph has already played both teams and their differential is +1. The Huskies currently are at -3 and the Mooseheads currently at +2. Should the game results fall the way Guelph needs them too they need the Huskies to win Wednesday by at least 2 goals but no more than 4. If all that happens Guelph would get the bye. If the Huskies won by 5 then they would get the bye and Guelph would get "home ice" in the semi final vs Halifax.

Regardless of all those scenarios Guelph wasnt good enough to win last night and they need to beat PA tomorrow to guarantee themselves at least a semi final game as a tie breaker usually means death in this tournament (09 Spits and 12 Cats aside)

One things for sure Poppy has definitely brought his A game to Halifax. First goal Saturday aside he has been fantastic otherwise and kept yesterdays game much closer than it could have been.
giphy.webp

Thanks for the break-down though :thumbu:

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
The Storm especially Suzuki and Ratcliffe with help from Hawel were full marks for a 5 2 win. Good to have a decisive win and eliminate a WHL opponent. That league’s representative has traditionally been a nemesis to the Storm at the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: three dog night

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Bravo Storm, show a really good performance thus far in the tournament.

Best of luck to Sean, Nick and Zachary and the rest of the Storm on a very entertaining tournament thus far. This tournament is short and you have to make sure you make the most of your opportunities and the Storm have thus far outscoring their opponents (12-8) thus far in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad